Author Topic: nurture heavenly harvest holistic dog food???  (Read 14789 times)

angelsmama

nurture heavenly harvest holistic dog food???
« on: March 04, 2006, 06:20:37 pm »
my mom picked it up for angel today.. need your opinions and views on this...  this is everything the bag says on the front.

"No Artificial Flavors, Colors, Preservatives, or Meat-By-Products. Omega 3 & 6 Fatty Acids for Optimum Skin and Coat. Formulated with Natural Fruits and Vegetables. Comtains Glucosamine & Chondrotin."

and on the back

"Nuture Heavenly Harvest Holistic Dog Food was created for pet owners that demand the very best for their companion. Our unique formula combines some of Mother Nature's finest ingredients including healthy natural grain, nutrition packed vegetables, real fruit, and flavorful herbs. Just as important to our formulation are the ingredients we choose not to use like corn, wheat, or soy meal which may sometimes be harmful to sensitive animals. Also, unlike many nationally advertised brands you won't find any artificial colors, flavors, preservatives or excess water in each crunchy bite of Nurture Heavenly Harvest. Nurture Heavenly Harvest - the holistic formula guaranteed to meet your highest expectations or your money back"

"Our wholesome chicken meal provides exceptional high quality proteiin to help build and maintain muscles, skin, and hair coat. Unique vegetable and herb blend including tomato, carrot, celery, lettuce, watercress, spinach, parsley, rosemary and garlic for added flavor and digestion. Contains a flaxseed and canola oil blend to help support an optimal Omega-6 and Omega-3 balance with a ratio between 5:1 and 8:1. Enhanced with the special nutrients glucosamine and chondroitin for the maintenance of healthy joints. Enriched with vitamins C & E plus natural antioxidents found in fruits & vegetables for the support of a healthy natural aging process. Formulated with all the wssential amino acids needed to support a healthy immune function."

INGREDIENTS : Chicken meal, rice flour, ground brown rice, rice bran, poultry fat(preservered with mixed tocopherolds), natural flavors, flaxseed, canola oil, salt, dried egg product, potassium chloride, dried kelp, dried carrots, dried celery, dried beets, parsley, dried lettuce, dried watercress, dried apples, dried bluberries, dried spinach, garlic powder, choline chloride, vitamins (ascorbic acid [source of vitamin C], vitamin E supplement, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, niacin, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate [source of vitamin B1], pyridoxine hydrochloride [source of vitamin B6], riboflavin supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), glucosomine hydrochloride, L-carnitine, chondroitin sulfate, minerals (zinc polysaccharide complex, iron polysaccharide complex, manganese  polysaccharide complex and copper polysaccharide complex, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, manganese sulfate, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonat, sodium selenite).

crude protein, min....        21.0%
crude fat, min....            16.0%
crude fiber, max....          3.0%
moisture, max....             10.0%
linoleic acid, min....        3.5%
calcium, min....              1.0%
phosphorus, min....           0.8%
sodium, min....               0.3%
zinc, min....                 200 mg/kg
vitamin a, min....            10,000 iu/kg
vitamin e, min....            150 iu/kg
ascorbic acid, min....        30 mg/kg
l-carnitine, min....          15 mg/kg
glucosamine, min....          200 ppm
chondroitin, min....          20 ppm
omega-6 fatty acids, min..    2.5%
omega-3 fatty acids, min..    0.5%

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
Re: nurture heavenly harvest holistic dog food???
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 06:30:33 pm »
do they have a website?
at a glance, the ingredients sound VERY similar to Kirkland brand from Costco [my mom feed this] and Performatrin Natural from Pet Valu [I just started feeding this].
where did she get this food?
We might not be able to save them all, but we sure can try - Hart's Animal Rescue & Training-Forever Home Adoptions/H.A.R.T.-FHA

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 06:33:12 pm »
BTW - your signature is GREAT
We might not be able to save them all, but we sure can try - Hart's Animal Rescue & Training-Forever Home Adoptions/H.A.R.T.-FHA

angelsmama

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 06:33:37 pm »
from a  big grocery store she said it was the only one that didnt have corn in it and she said it sounded  real good so got it for her.. does it sound like an ok  food though??? i dont want to feed my baby something bad

angelsmama

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 07:14:52 pm »
anyone know of this food or any opinions on it?

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 07:20:12 pm »
it sounds great to me! my mom's had real good results with Kirkland.

what jumps out at me for Nurture: no SOY [been linked to bloat], no corn, chicken is first, no wheat, not too much protein, lots of whole fruits & veggies w/several high in antioxidants, flaxseed is high in the list, not a lot of ingredients that I can't pronounce ;), glucosamine & chondroiten [i'm not totally convinced of their benefit but figure it can't hurt], like the egg.

i would like to see salt a bit lower and prefer 'sea salt'; would also like to see yucca [prebiotic, promotes protein absorbtion, reduces stool odor], chicory root [prebiotic], any probiotic [like what's in yogurt].
the prebiotics and probiotics can be added if needed but i would only really worry about if a pooch has digestive issues and/or allergies (environmental, seasonal, food) [Holi has it all].

I would consider feeding it to my kids and i'm rather picky.
does it cost a lot?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 07:22:07 pm by paharts »

angelsmama

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 07:29:06 pm »
well my moms a master herbalist so  we can add a few things to it  :)

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 07:34:37 pm »
the food i feed to Holi is Performatrin Ultra [http://performatrinultra.com/]. you can check this for the extras i mentioned. i had been adding "prozyme" to her homemade food [can be seen at www.sojos.com] every night and yogurt every morning.