Author Topic: Tell me the good and the bad.  (Read 10780 times)

Offline lyonsatplay

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Tell me the good and the bad.
« on: March 10, 2006, 12:30:42 pm »
Hello everyone,

I came across this website while resreaching OEM. We are concidering one for our family. My name is Jennifer and my husband and I have 3 children. Ages 7-1. My husband has owend an OEM before we were married and asures me that they are gental giants. To tell the truth dogs especail big dogs scare me.
He saw an ad in the local paper for an OEM and called them. He went to see the dog last night. She is 5 yrs. old, but in good health. With all vet records. She is a papered purebreed. The wife of the family that has her now went back to work and the dog (Gabby) is now being left by herself and if that was not enough there other OEM died, so gabby is all alone.
So here I am ask you to tell me the good, bad, and the ugly about these dogs. Thanks for reading my post, can't wait to hear from you. ~Jen

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
Re: Tell me the good and the bad.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 12:42:24 pm »
I love OEMs and grew up with them.  They are truely the gentle giant.  If you have not already I suggest you go to www.mastiff.or g and read the whole website.  There is lots of valuable information there.   Have you met Gabby yet? 
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 12:47:04 pm »
Hi!  I am Jacquie and the photo is Tsu my 12 year old Chow.  BPO is a wonderful place...you will soon find out. 

Poor Gabby being left all lonely!  :'(  I will be getting an American Mastiff on Easter weekend (they are very similar)and we have an 18 month old son.  Make sure to read over the posts on OEM's here-you get the good, the bad, the ugly and the fall off your chair laughing funny!  The people on this site are very helpful and I know you will get replies on OEM's soon.  Make sure if you do get her, that you post photos of her!  We like photos!

Good luck! 
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline lyonsatplay

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 12:55:08 pm »
No I have not meet her yet. We are going to see her tonight. We are going to take the kids with us. To get a feel on how they are going to react to each other. But I can tell my husband loves her. He has the biggest when it comes to animals.

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 01:22:36 pm »
Good I'm glad you are going to meet her.  It's one thing to read about OEMs but its another to actually meet one in person. Please let us know how it goes.  I hope you like her and that she fits well with your family!  And I agree with Softhug you should definitely read all the posts in the OEM section that should help you get a feel for the dog.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 01:57:24 pm »
Good - incredibly loyal, gentle and modest exercise needs
Bad - like many giant breeds, they're very lucky if they reach 10 years old  :(
Ugly - drool... they can sling slobber with the best of 'em!

I have a good friend who used to breed Mastiffs and they are wonderful dogs. If you are adopting an older dog like Gabby, I'd make sure she's really good with children (preferably having been raised with kids in the house) and also that she shows no signs of being nervy or aggressive. I highly commend you for taking on an older dog that needs a home, but think of your children first and foremost if you have any doubts over her temperament.

Just remember that mastiffs are a LOT of dog, so anything that an average dog does is amplified with one of these giants. They can do a lot of damage accidentally by their sheer bulk.

Offline roxygirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 04:33:37 pm »
Mastiff is a breed true to my heart. For they most part they have wonderful qualities but every dog can be different. THey are very loyal companions adn want to be with their humans every second. They are NOT outside dogs at all. THey are very large and as all of us know with large dogs come large bills! Even just their annual check up and vaccinations can cost a small fortune. They also should be fed a very high quality diet which is another expense. The do slobber and or drool so things can get messy. Most of tthem like to stick their whole head in their water bowl so keeping a towel handy is a good idea.
FOr the most part they are good with children but again, every dog is different. You never know how a child might have treated that dog and trust me he won't forget it. My usual concern before agression is their size. They coudl very easily knock a child down and hurt them accidentally. Please don't ever leave your child(ren) alone in a room with a dog. That is an accident just waiting to happen.
Best of luck to you and please let us know how your visit goes.
Kim
Kim
Great Lakes Mastiff Rescue,Inc.

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 08:20:49 pm »
 ;D  This is a great site! I have an English Mastiff Brindle i rescued him last year he is now 7 months old and he is a wonderful breed. All of my dogs are rescue dogs i just happened across this breed i did my research before i got him. I have had terriers,dalmation,labs,setters,nor elk hound, etc i would have to say if i have a second life where i m able to have dogs i would have a herd of english mastiff! Bryce is just loving caring full of life he is just such a gift from god.
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline swells

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 12:01:00 pm »
We have a 4 year old OEM named Ozzy and I just love him to pieces. If you do not like a dog following you from room to room, climbing up on your lap every time you sit down or laying with their big heads on your feet, this is not the dog for you. Honestly, I have never met a more loyal, lovable, huggable breed then the OEM. They are a very good source of entertainment. I smile from ear to ear whenever I get the chance to talk about Ozzy. He has roo roo'd (don't worry you will know what i mean if you get one) his way right into our hearts.

Like others have said, they are big dogs that can knock down a child with a bump or leave a bruise with the swing of a tail, so NEVER leave a child unattended with any dog.

Stacie

Offline Boyle

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 01:11:20 pm »
As I sit and type this, our big lump is sleeping beneath my feet.  I must agree with everything stated above.  Yes, the cost is greater and the slingers are large but a mastiff is the most wonderful dog. 

Another thing to consider is how well trained this dog is right now.  When Nola (1 year old) decides to act like a ****head, he REALLY acts like a ****head but it seems to be exaggerated by his size.  If he leaps or pulls he can knock me down.  Every been pulled through the grass on your belly while holding a lease?  We are currently on our third set of training classes and will prbably continue for another few sessions.  I don't about anyone else's mastiff but our guy isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. 

Good luck and I hope you wind up with a wonderful companion.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 09:41:34 am »
Good luck, I hope she is a good fit.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline lyonsatplay

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 05:18:36 pm »

Hello to everyone! Thanks for responding to my post. Here is an update. Gabby came home with us! She has been the best dog ever. I can see what you were talking about. I have one promble with her. She Sheds!!!!!! :o Like crazy! Will it ever stop?
Jen

doggylover

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 05:59:12 pm »
I have good news and bad news...The shedding will never stop, but you will stop caring.  Pretty soon you will love her so much you won't see the hair, not to mention the drool hanging off your couch, the chunks of unknown origin in your living room, or that vaguely anal smell in the house.  Then you will know you have finally crossed over to the other side.  We will all be here to welcome you when you arrive! 
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
Ronda

Offline roxygirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 06:33:03 pm »
Congratulation s on your new addition. :) ;D :)
Kim
Great Lakes Mastiff Rescue,Inc.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 07:22:23 pm »
Congratulation s, and welcome to BPO.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.