Author Topic: B.A.R.F Diet  (Read 10386 times)

dohertyswissy

B.A.R.F Diet
« on: May 23, 2005, 04:16:15 pm »
Is anyone here doing the B.A.R.F diet with their dogs?  Our breeders swears by it, but it just makes me a little nervous giving the pup raw meat.  I've been feeding him the veggies and yogurt along with his regular kibble...but, something is just making me uneasy about raw chicken.  I was more thinking of giving him cooked meat.  Any thoughts? 

Luvmydanes

Re: B.A.R.F Diet
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 04:19:28 pm »
I was talking about this with my husband last week. He said it was fine to give them raw meat, but it seemed weird to me too. I think I would still cook it. We give the dogs whatever we have leftover from dinner every night, so its always cooked anyways, but raw? I don't think I would do that.

Kandi

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 04:48:13 pm »
I tried the BARF diet with my first two Newfs for a very short time.  They both ended up having to be treated for parasites after.  Even though the people who swear by the raw diet say that the parasites won't hurt them, it just gave me the creeps.  I cook for my one big boy and add enzymes (Vitalzyme and probiotics and enzymes) and just make sure that it's cooked through.  I do give him raw veg and fruit, though.  He LOVES strawberries! and APPLES!!  My baby boy is still on kibble with a tablespoon of the juices from the big boy's bowl.

The emergency vet that took care of my first two Newfs said that chances for bowel obstruction and perforations was more significant that anybody wanted to talk about.  I know that it is a VERY sensitive topic for many dog lovers.  They either swear by it or hate it.  I'm still on the fence.  I understand the theory, just didn't like the reality much.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 10:13:24 pm »
I know that the dog owners that feed BARF love it and say it is the very best for them, I have done some research and it is hard to get a real idea aout it, because either you hate it or love it and if you read something by someone who loves it, it is all good, and vise versa with the ones who dont like it. I feed kibbles but add, a couple table spoons good quality canned food, veggies, enzymes, probiotics etc. and I like that. I have heard though that if you are to feed BARF with bones and all,it is important that the bones are raw, like chicken bones that are so not good for them if cooked, they say they are like "rubbery" and bend when raw. But I am also a bit selfish I guess, because I have a hard time imagine getting slobbery kisses from my dogs after having ate raw meat yuck..... That totally grosses me out, so I'll stick to the kibble lol...

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

nickerbokker

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 10:17:36 pm »
lol, whats better......fr esh licked butt hole followed by slobbery kisses, or chicken carcass?

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 10:22:05 pm »
Okay now I will probably be banned from this site, but I have to vote for the butt hole lol..... I am not a big meat eater as is and if I eat meat I defenately dont want it to run off my plate. So a wet kiss after a raw meat meal noooooo butt is better  ;D

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

dohertyswissy

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 08:28:07 am »
lol...thanks for weighing in everyone!  It is such a divided subject.  I think I may just stick to the veggies part, and maybe the occassional cooked meat. 

Offline bhender254

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 08:46:25 am »
I'm going to weigh in on the other side.  I don't feed B.A.R.F but I do feed raw.  That means my dogs don't get any veggies because they don't need them.  I've been doing this for 2 years and have had nothing but good results.  It can get a bit expensive food wise but my vet visits cost a lot less, yard clean-up is less and my dogs have wonderful coats and a lot more energy that they had when eating kibble.  One of my dogs is allergic to something that seems to be in every kibble we have tried causing dry flakey skin and excessive itching. That has gone away entirely with raw.

Nicole

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 08:57:08 am »
These days I'm only giving Cabeza Wysong along with yogurt, veggies, raw eggs, fruits, etc. However, I used to do the BARF diet with him and his brother. They were both beautiful and shiny and healthy. They did poop less and they smelled alot better and never had to go to the vet. It got kind of expensive, but the main thing was how time-consuming it was! I feel that its just fine, but, not necessary. On the Wysong that he gets now, he's still shiny and healthy and happy. And, I do occasionally give him treats, like a raw chicken leg or some liver. But, his favorite is canned mackeral. He LOVES the stuff! And that's cooked, so its totally fine.