Author Topic: Hip Replacement for 15 month old saint  (Read 10299 times)

Offline HarleyD

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Hip Replacement for 15 month old saint
« on: March 13, 2006, 06:19:26 pm »
Hi,

This is our first time posting. We just got home from our vet our baby Harley has very bad hips. The joints are not even close to being in their sockets. Hip replacement is recommended. We have been told to go to Ohio University. We are trying to get an idea of the cost involved. This boy is our son and luckily we did insure him but the limit is $3,000. Can anyone give us an idea if that will come close to covering the cost? We live in TN, if anyone has or knows of a top vet for this procedure we would like to hear from you.Here is a pic of Harley and his little sister Cassie with their Mama (Kathy)

Tim and Kathy Ray
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 08:34:25 pm by HarleyD »

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Hip Replacement for 15 month old saint
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 06:50:44 pm »
Not sure about TN but here in California the price for a THR is about $7000 per hip.

Offline HarleyD

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 08:14:15 pm »
I hope that it is less expensive here in Tennessee, I am going to have to sell my corvette (older C-4) and that would bring enough to do one hip.

Thanks
Tim

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 08:17:38 pm »
The good news is sometimes, dogs do just fine on one good hip.  That might give you more time to save up for the second hip, if nessary.  My first Newf had awful hips as well and we did the worst one first and he was like a brand new dog. We never did the second hip.

Good luck, and keep up posted!

Offline HarleyD

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 08:22:01 pm »
How much did it cost and where did you have it done?

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 08:30:30 pm »
Southern California Veterinary Referral Center in Irvine (Drs. Walker and Vogel) and it was about 5 years ago.  It was $5000 at that time so, my guess is that Brindle Pack is pretty close to what it would  be now.  Dr. Walker also has a practice in Virginia.  The were both absolutely excellent.  Otis had a very good result.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 08:31:37 pm by newflvr »

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 08:36:04 pm »
I've just sent you an email with their contact info.

Offline HarleyD

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 08:37:39 pm »
Thanks,
We will call Ohio tomorrow and post the estimate.

Tim & Kathy

Offline Smaug

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 11:07:31 pm »
Sorry to hear that, best wishes for a speedy recovery for Harley.  Beautiful avatar and so sad he will have to go through that.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 11:08:16 pm by Smaug »

Offline HarleyD

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 07:41:32 am »
I just got off the phone with the Ohio state college of veterinary medicine and they siad it would be $2800.00 per hip :) I need to check them out, but our vet says they are the best in hip replacement on the east coast and if he had a dog that needed a new hip that is where he would go.
I will call Dr.Walker and get his take on this. They said we would be there three days and he could come home :) so the insurance will cover the first one and the corvette will cover the second.

Thanks so much for all the info

Tim & Kathy Ray

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 09:53:30 am »
I just got off the phone with the Ohio state college of veterinary medicine and they siad it would be $2800.00 per hip Smiley

WOW!!  GREAT price!!!  and that your insurance will cover part of it! We had insurance for Otis (VPI) and they didn't cover a thing!! Who is your insurance with??  I don't have any insurance for either of the Newfs since VPI didn't cover any of Otis expenses or Cowboy's (epilepsy). 

Hopefully everything will be fine.  Fingers and paws crossed for you here!  Please keep us posted.  Dr. Walker is wonderful and hopefully he'll reassure you!

Offline HarleyD

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 10:13:17 am »
The insurance is through petcare 1-866-373-7387 website is
www.petcareins urance.com so far they have been great to us.
It cost us $50.00 a month and covers just about anything and it comes with a $500.00 life insurance policy. There is a $50.00 deductable.If there is a down side it is that you have to pay first then get reinbursed but they do get the money back to you in about ten days so it's not to bad.

Thanks
T&K

Offline Mark Dozier

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 12:36:56 am »
Washington State- h[url]ip replacement by one of the best docs in the U.S. 7 grand per hip.
Mark Dozier
servant of
Rolly - Walker Coon Hound
Ozzie - Maremma
Siearra - Great Pryenesse

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 06:47:53 am »
When you go for your consultation I would ask for a detailed estimate of charges.  I know one of the places we took Tucker said it was $3200 but that did not include his hospital stay/care, meds, x-rays (they do those frequently) after surgery, follow-up visits, and other miscellaneous charges.  Their final out the door price was approximately $6600.

Here is a link to a yahoo board that offers great support:  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CanineHD/

Good luck and keep us posted.

Offline HarleyD

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 06:56:09 am »
Thanks for the info. We did speak with Ohio University and the cost does include x-rays, meds, the stay and other stuff related to the surgery. It does not include follow up visits.

Tim & Kathy