Author Topic: Argh... food  (Read 4673 times)

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Argh... food
« on: March 20, 2006, 06:32:44 pm »
Sadie and Riley used to eat Nutro Natural Choice. I fed them this because Riley's breeder seemed okay with it (it was the only thing I had found at the time that didn't give Sadie stomach issues). Also, I give my cats Nutro Natural Choice Indoors, and it has been amazing for them (one of them will throw up anything but the green and white striped bag of indoor formula). The vets always comment on how great my cats look and how healthy they are. That said, I realize that cats and dogs are very different and perhaps they make a good cat food, but a not-so-great dog food.

I tried Eukanuba Natural Lamb and Rice with Sadie and Riley. I liked that it didn't have by-products (one reason I also like Nutro Natural Choice). It was fairly expensive (about $38 for 15 pounds, I think), but the kicker was that they were going through a bag a week. On Nutro, I was getting a 44 pound bag that would last a little over two weeks.

I switched back to Nutro out of cost and also I read some things about Eukanuba that didn't sound very good. Now, Riley and Sadie will have soft but "whole" stools at first (it looks solid, but isn't really when you go to bag it), then they'll go back and have loose stool. Argh. If it was the transition period, I would think they'd be fine now.

Is Eukanuba Natural a "better" food than Nutro Natural Choice? I would like to feed them Wellness, which I read a lot of good things about, but I haven't found a place that sells it. Also, Sadie and Riley weren't all that big on Old Mother Hubbard treats, but I'm sure the dog food and the "cheese and bacon" treats don't taste the same...  ;)

In the world of dog foods, am I feeding them something awful when I give them Nutro Natural Choice or Eukanuba Natural? What is the best Petsmart-ish brand (something I can find there if I can't find somewhere else that sells high quality foods)? I think I've found a local pet store with more options, but in case these don't pan out, I want a fall back. Also, if it's going to cost $40/week, that might be hard to swing right now. I'll have to see what I can figure out.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Argh... food
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 06:44:40 pm »
I have never used the Eukanuba or the Nutro so I can't help with that.  But I just switched to Natural Balance Ultra Premium (I think that's the name).  Anyway, I get it at Petco and it lasts my two about two weeks and I like what it has done for them.  Their coats look and feel better and so far they haven't had any problems with it.  I'm sorry but I guess that's not much help.

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 06:49:04 pm »
Does your store carry Nutra Ultra? It is their "holistic" food, and I have found that it really ranks up there with foods like Solid Gold. It bothers me a little that Nutro doesn't specialize in the holistic/natural foods, but everything they make is considered to be premium, last time I checked.

Another brand from Petsmart that I have used and really loved was Nature's Recipe- their venison formula is awesome. ;D

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 06:50:32 pm »
No offense to anyone who feeds them, but I dont like any of the brands at Petsmart.  We're able to find better foods at a couple of feed stores than at Petsmart. 

I had luck finding places that sell the really good stuff by going to the manufacturers web sites and clicking on the find a reseller links.

Canidae:
http://www.canidae.com/company/storelocator.html

Chicken Soup:
http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/ChickenSoup/cslocator_distributors.php

Eagle Pack:
http://www.eaglepack.com/retailer_search/

Innova/Evo , California Natural, etc:
http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=stores-tab

I know there are some other premium brands out there but I am drawing a blank.

Good info on the ingredients here:
http://www.doberdogs.com/menu.html

Someone posted a page where you can compare different foods with each other, I need to find it again, it was great.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 06:50:54 pm by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 07:21:27 pm »
I found a place kind of north central in town that carries the following:
California Natural, Eagle Pack, Eukanuba, Evangers, Flint River Ranch, Health Wise, Iams, Innova, Karma, Merrick, Natural Balance, Nutro, Prairie, Precise, Pro Pac, Pro Plan, Royal Canin, Science Diet, Sensible Choice, Solid Gold, Spot's Stew, Tripett, Wellness, and Wysong

--Frozen Foods--   
Far More
Northwest
Naturals Prairie
* Raw Advantage *

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 07:40:28 pm »
I found a place kind of north central in town that carries the following:
California Natural, Eagle Pack, Eukanuba, Evangers, Flint River Ranch, Health Wise, Iams, Innova, Karma, Merrick, Natural Balance, Nutro, Prairie, Precise, Pro Pac, Pro Plan, Royal Canin, Science Diet, Sensible Choice, Solid Gold, Spot's Stew, Tripett, Wellness, and Wysong

You have plenty of good choices there :) I highlighted all the ones in red that are recommended by the whole dog journal - any of the red ones are great choices.

I just faced the same dillemma of choosing a food from a store with many great brands and I chose prairie, so we are in the procss of switching Zoey to that now.
RIP former BPO

Offline hairprincessnyu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 07:47:07 pm »
I went to that website someone had posted about comparing dog foods a few weeks ago. If I remember correctly, the Chicken Soup For The Soul brand ranked very high, and so did Nutro Ultra. Personally I feed my cats the Nutro Indoor Complete also, and they do great. My mom feeds Cesco Nutro large breed adult, and her little guys, puppy max. She is a breeder and swears by the stuff. I would love to switch to the Nutro Ultra, but just can't afford it.
True love is being gone all day, and coming home to a dog who licks your face.

Offline hairprincessnyu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 07:49:34 pm »
I almost forgot, wasn't Nutro Ultra reccommended this year from the Whole Dog Journal also? I thought I remembered seeing it on the list.
True love is being gone all day, and coming home to a dog who licks your face.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 08:39:35 pm »
I almost forgot, wasn't Nutro Ultra reccommended this year from the Whole Dog Journal also? I thought I remembered seeing it on the list.

Yep, it was. That is what made me start considering it as an option, and now Turkey and Mokey both eat it. :)

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 09:10:49 pm »
This may, or may not be a great help to you, but i feed Diamond Adult Maintenance Formula. This has done wonders for my boys, great coats, great stamina, and GREAT POOPS! ;) It is very cheap, and i think you get more that you pay for. if you arfe uncomfortable with the problem they had, that is fine, but i feel that they went above and beyond what was nessecary to continue making a great food for dogs. they have very little by-products, but mostly the best meats available (there are different formulas). there is little salt (so it is easy to digest), little coloring or BAD fats, and it has Omega 3 Fatty Acids, which are great for coats, and they come from fish.

if this doesn't make sense it is probly because i am not an expert, but it has done wonders for my boys, you should ask around on this site and others about it, and get your vets opinion!

Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 08:00:58 am »
I'm in the same situation with Boo.  She was on Blue Buffalo Lamb and Rice (had loose stool) so I switched her to the Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice (still loose stool).  Took her to the vet and he said to add yogurt in the morning and bran cereal at night.  Hasn't made a bit of difference.  Its the same thing, its sorta firm in the beginning then she walks two feet away and its loose and messy.  Not to mention she goes a lot when she goes!  I'm going to add some pumpkin and if that doesn't help, just switch her food altogether.  The funny thing is, when she came to us, she was on Purina One large breed puppy and her stools were fine.  I switched her to what I thought was a better food and now have "issues".