Author Topic: My little Eider man has been poisoned!  (Read 14506 times)

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
Re: My little Eider man has been poisoned!
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2006, 08:56:52 pm »
DH was able to come out to the barn with me tonight and we found one thing but the symptoms don't match.  DH traps and there was some salted fish that one of the kids put down near the floor.  That could be iodine or salt poisoning?  Symptoms don't match.  Some critter has been into it!  We have a wild cat that has been in the barn so that might have been into the fish too but obviously it could have been Eider.  I kind of doubt he was in it today though because he was only in that room for a minute.  Jumped in there, came running back out with some paper that he chewed up.  I forgot tonight to check out the bucket and look at that paper again but I thought it was just a McDonalds wrapper.  I'll go out there and check that paper as soon as I'm done here.  I'm going to the dump tomorrow (should have gone earlier but have been sick myself) and will take any form of poison we don't use (most of them) to the dump just in case.  There's all sorts of stuff here from before we moved here!   :-[  We don't use it so there's only bad that can come from it staying here.  Can't believe I haven't dumped that stuff before now!  (Kicks self).  I certainly appreciate the ideas.  I keep hoping someone will have a thought and it will trigger some idea in my mind.  I haven't heard anything from the vet tonight so hopefully no news is good news...  We do have a cattle rub but he can't get out to that.  Dogs and cows don't mix well.  Cows think dogs are for stomping, Pyrs included.  The stuff that goes on the rub is one of the things I looked at but it doesn't look like there's any way he could have gotten into that.  I WILL put it and the few things that will be left in a much more secure location!  Lesson learned!  Gosh, what a hard way to learn it!  (Kicks self again while getting dressed to go out and look at the barf again)
Daphne

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2006, 09:07:30 pm »
I'm so sorry this happened. We're sending good thoughts your way.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2006, 01:48:22 pm »
So glad he's home, safe and sound!!! ;D ;D

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2006, 08:30:00 pm »
Interesting development...  DH went to a dinner tonight and sat next to a veterinarian friend (used to be the vet to two of our dogs before their former owner died) who said he gets a lot of these cases in this time of year.  Spring runoff!  That one never would have occurred to me!!!!  He said it can build up in their system to where it finally hits a level where you see the problem.  I'm not hedging everything on spring runoff but I will do some more research and try to be more diligent to keep him out of EVERYTHING, even water out in the fields.  Guess he's just going to have to stay attached to me at the hip if he goes to the barn.  He's currently harassing Piper as is normal so he's pretty much on the mend.  A bit tippy yet but I suppose that is not surprising.
Daphne

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2006, 11:44:37 pm »
Wouldn't have thought of that either!  Wow!  A lot to consider!!!  It's a good thing to have a pup attached at the hip!!!! :)