Author Topic: Need Help in Texas  (Read 18538 times)

Offline cowtownpi

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Need Help in Texas
« on: March 15, 2005, 04:35:47 pm »
I'm a new owner, three months, of a young feamle Bloodhound.  I'm looking for help getting my dog trained to be a mantrailer.  I also want to work with my animal to see if she can learn to sniff for drugs.

Kerry A. Robinson
Fort Worth, Texas

awo

Re: Need Help in Texas
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 04:41:47 pm »
Hello kerry,
  Welcome to the group!  You have the right idea by starting with early training for your pup.  I don't live in Texas, but your best bet would by contacting your local Police/Sheriff departments K-9 unit and asking them if they would be able to help you out with any resources on training.  You might also want to do some research on bloodhound groups in your state, I bet they would also have some good info for you aswell.  Good luck, I hope this helps.

awo
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 05:22:29 pm by awo »

Offline bldhndsniff

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 10:02:04 am »
Contact Jack Shuler in Salem, Illinois. Jack is the best bloodhound mantrailing trainer that I know of and has done extensive training sessions across the United States as well as in Europe.  His web site is www.jackshuler .com.

As for training a bloodhound to sniff drugs, this is probably not the best option.  Bloodhounds are not really suited to sniff for drugs, as they would be able to find the spot where drugs were hidden a day or weeks ago.  They can be trained, but why train a dog bred for man-trailing, when a better option would be to use a GSD, or Mal.  Use the right tool for the job.

Hope this helps! ;D

Offline clutzycowgirl2002

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 01:06:42 pm »
Well, you couldn't have picked a better state to own a bloodhound in...LOL...try this site if you are interested in training and getting in contact with trainers...http://www.taskcanine.com/http://http://www.taskcanine.com/
Good luck, I am owned by two bloods and couldn't be happier!!

Tami
911*SAR Team
"so others may live"

Offline poofynewfy

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 01:41:35 pm »
Cowtownpi,
Did you ever get into contact with anyone? Keep us updated on things when you get a chance.

Offline MomofSweetCletus

• Gnawer
  • Cletus "Pink Floyd" Lundberg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 06:36:05 am »
How old is too old to start a dog's training?  I have 1 yr old, and I'm interested in getting training for him.  He's a very motivated scent hound...quite determined once he's caught a scent!  My husband is the head of our County's Sheriff Reserve, and they all seem to think that Cletus would make a good tracking dog.  I just thought it might be too late for him.  Any imput?  Thanks!

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 09:37:53 am »
Really there is never a bad time to start training in my opinion.  Michael started our oldest Mal at 1yo in SAR work.  He took her out and they did puppy runaways to see if she had the potential to learn to work SAR.  If you are interested in taking Cletus out I say go for it.  You know your dog best and if you think he can do it then there is no stopping either of you. 

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline fivestar

• Gnawer
  • Tracker settleing in for a long winters nap
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 08:09:34 am »
Hi Terry,
I'm new at this too but Jack Shuler is the best bloodhound man trailer's I have ever met and he holds training sessons all over. you can find his group on the net under K9 Extremes. let us know how your bloodhound is doing when you find the time. :)
Jerri, Tracker and Dixie :)