Author Topic: New Newf Owner!  (Read 7175 times)

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
New Newf Owner!
« on: March 15, 2006, 09:16:54 am »
Oh boy…am I glad to find this board of more seasoned Newfie owners and can only hope I don’t wear out my welcome with all my questions!

After months of researching and then looking at the Newfoundland breed I brought home my adorable 12 week old Newf, Chloe  this past Saturday. (I wanted KoKo…but my teenage girls wanted Chloe!) This is the first dog we have had in our home in years…and my 4 year old’s first “dog” so its been an exciting adventure. 
Because all of our Newfs are special  ;) you already know…Chloe is adorable.  I do have a few questions.  We have always been Golden folks.  Love them…but this time we wanted to research other breeds to find same gentle, fun and outgoing (Take anywhere with us) sweetness but just a LITTLE less zeal for life and demanding of our full attention!
Therefore all I have been exposed to is the behavior of a Golden. Its interesting to me how laid back Chloe is and must admit we are finding that a pleasant change from “bouncing off the wall” energy.  Even when she is being naughty…it’s in a slow motion way.  Perhaps this will change…but right now it’s fine with me.

I would love advice/help with the following…Since we are doing the potty training I keep her crated when not home and right now unless she is with me and I have my eye on her 100% I TRY and confine her to the laundry when I needed to do something.  Eventually I will broaden that confinement to the kitchen area and so forth and so forth. 
The problem is she HATES to be confined.  When I crate her she will bark for 30 to 40 minutes.  I understand this is totally expected for a new puppy in a new environment and should ignore it.  But even when its in other areas (like the laundry) and she can still see us she goes NUTS!  With our goldens it took only a few sharp and loud “no” and they understood where as Chloe refuses to stop. 

Night before last I wanted to eat supper in peace so I decided to put her on the porch because it was cool outside.  She broke through the screen door and proceeded to run around to our kitchen bay window where she heard us…plooped her big feet on the screen which of course also busted through. So last night I gave in…I played outside with her until she was worn out and then let her plop at my kitchen door while we ate.  She was fine but should I not be allowed to be put her up when necessary without having a melt down?   Is this because this is all new and she needs to learn this is what we will do in our home or is this a Newf trait that she will forever insist on being part of the family for every occasion or will punish us!!  With only having her a few days as well as her age I am hesitant to take a very harsh dominate role.  She seems so “soft” I don’t want to make her timid. 

Any help with my big spoiled baby would be GREALTY appreciated.

Thanks!
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: New Newf Owner!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 09:33:06 am »
One of the key differences between Newfs and Goldens is that Goldens were bred to be hunting dogs, and Newfs were bred to rescue people, pull carts for people, pull in fishing nets with people.  The theme is the same:  they are meant to be with people.  The more you include Chloe in family activities, the happier she will be.  She just wants to be with you.  Try reading the Monks of New Skete's book on the 'Art of Raising a Puppy'.  They suggest that you get a very light lead (like a kitten lead) and tie her to your belt as you do your chores during the day.  Take her out to potty after every meal and after every nap but keep her with you.  At meal time, have her learn 'down, stay' but, again, include her.  At bed time, you can crate her in your room until she's housebroken, but again, she needs to be with her people.  My Newf puppies have always been in our room to sleep and usually slept through the night securely by 4 months.

We also used baby gates to confine the puppy to wherever I was working.  If I was in the kitchen, pup was in the kitchen.  If I was in the laundry room, pup was on the lead tied to me.  If I was in the office, pup was, again, on the lead tied to me with a toy to play with while I worked (or was on BPO ;))  It does work.  Remember:  Chloe just wants to be with you to 'help'!!  My little female, Lucille, used to carry my purse for me when we went shopping.....

It is difficult at first, but she is worth it.  Once you go Newf, it's hard to imagine having any other dog! ;)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 09:33:47 am by newflvr »

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 09:47:28 am »
Thank you so much for your help!!  (and I KNOW Chloe thanks you!   ;D    )
Again, I was thrilled when I found this message board as I don’t have many sources to seek advice from.  (Her breeder is supper sweet but since she does not have indoor Newf’s I think it’s hard for her to relate to some of the same issues I need help with.)

I have heard about this book and will in fact be making a trip (And yes…with newf in tow! LOL) to the bookstore this evening. 

If I can ask one more question in regard to her housebreaking?   I have read that you have to keep them on somewhat of a schedule with their water or they will be wetting all the time.  I have just read so much about them not caring for heat and am of course paranoid…when I take her water up about 30 minutes or so before crating she will wonder around looking for it.  (And good lord…has already learned the art of toilet drinking! LOL)  Last night I even gave in and gave her some and noticed this morning she had indeed wet in her crate.

Should I limit her water to help with the potty training or go ahead and let her have her fill??
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

-Ann landers

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 09:56:16 am »
With my guys, I've always kept the water bowl outside (for obvious reasons.....th ey try to swim in it!!!) and when we go out that's the time to have as much water as they'd like.  We then have a short walk (at Chloe's age, about 10 minutes) and that's the time to pee and poop and then back in the house.  For a Newf with their delicate skeletal system at that young an age, I think the guideline is one minute of walking for each week in age at a time.  They eat dinner at about 5:00pm and then a short walk and then rest for an hour or so while I start working on the human dinners.  Another outside time before our dinner with water and pee and then the last outside time is right before bed (10:00pm ::)).  Newfs do drink a lot of water....they need it to keep that huge body cool, so I wouldn't restrict the amount of water...just the frequency until she's housebroken.

Did your breeder go over the no-no's with you?  No jumping?  No jumping from the car and all that?  Now it the time to protect her skeleton while she's still growing so fast....

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 10:11:09 am »
Oh…the water outside is a GREAT idea and would actually work well in our set-up.  Because the weather has been so nice I have been fortunate to be able to keep the door open and it’s been nice just to have her follow me outside every 15 or 30 minutes.  This would eventually be a great solution!

I have tried to educate myself on some of the issues they are prone to and (Speaking of paranoid) trying to be aware of that.  I have been carrying her down the stairs…to paranoid?  (Not to mention will not last to much longer!) Also, since we do plan to include her on our family activities (We love to hang out at the lake, picnic in the mountains) I am thinking about investing in a ramp for the car. 

BTW- I just went on Amazon and ordered the Monk’s of New Skete’s two books.  I used to do a lot of obedience work with my Golden in the mid 90s and had forgotten how well received their first book was.  I am excited to get into them and learn their ideas. 

Again, thank you for your help…I can see Chloe has a very different temperament than what I am accustomed to and frankly I was a bit caught off guard by it! Confused and concerned about doing anything right/or wrong.   
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

-Ann landers

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 11:29:37 am »
to find same gentle, fun and outgoing (Take anywhere with us)

Outgoing?.. Hehe, I think a newf can fill those shoes :) We always say our newf loves everyone , and you're next.

Congrats, we need lots of pictures.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 11:31:19 am by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 12:21:41 pm »
    Yay, a new puppy...you have to post pictures!!!  I'm Erin and am owned by a newf and an aussie. Kali is our first newf of our own and she's 14 months now.  Kali grew up around the aussie so she actually can be very fast...Lacey also taught her how to herd, which is the most hilarious thing to watch. 
   My suggestion is to buy a kiddie pool for the summer...Kali didn't like hers at first but now you can't get her out of it if it's down.  She also loves sprinklers.  It helps them cool down.  Also if the waterbowl is in the house make sure it's not on a floor that you mind getting wet.  Keeping a puppy schedule is definitely the best plan for pottytraining.  Treats also work well. 
     What are you feeding as far as a food?  Make sure it's either a Large Breed puppy or an adult food with low protein.  This is due to the fact regular puppy food makes them grow too fast.  And make sure you can always feel her ribs and her back bone because.   
   And feel free to ask questions...so meone here should be able to help.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 12:54:26 pm »
Any suggestions on the puppy food?  I had thought about Purina’s ONE for large breed when she is older but was only feeding her what the breeder handed me which was a bag of Purina Puppy Chow?? That doesn't sound good??

When I went home for lunch I just let her follow me around! LOL  She just sort of plodded behind me.  Seriously...I am used to a Golden being distracted by the nearest interesting shoe to chew or cat to chase! 
All this devotion is funny!  :)
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

-Ann landers

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 01:38:56 pm »
Hi,

Ahh the fun of the puppy. Winslow is my first Newf, he potty trained in 3 weeks, and no accidents since then. We crated him until 2 weeks ago actually, he likes the main floor and sleeps there we also crated him on that floor at the bottom of the stairs, (use the search type crate training) you'll get hours of reading on does and dont's. Winslow preferred a cover on on the top and 3 sides (made it like a den)I suggest crating chloie where you can here her but SHE can't see you. If they see you they want to be with you. Even rolling over in your sleep looks like you are up and ready to play to chloie.

We got this ramp www.dogramp.co m and left it on the floor for him to get used to walking on it gradually eleveating it some. Now he is up and down it like a champ into my truck!!

Also www.newf.net is a site dedicated to Newfie's many breeders there great advice, strictly from the Newf experience.

Well enough for now and welcome!!
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 01:52:31 pm »
Any premium or super premium adult dog food is fine if it is LOW in protein and fat.  You are trying to keep her growth VERY slow so that her bones have time to grow and strenghten to support her large size.  Chester, my 13 month old pup has been a very picky eater and he tolerates Natural Balance Allergy formula (duck).  We also give both guys (Cowboy is 3 1/2years old) a fish oil capsule with each meal (2 X a day), along with MSM, CetylM (look at www.katiesbump ers.com for the reasons), Vitalzyme (which is a probiotic and enzyme to help them digest their food efficiently to minimize a chance of bloat) and a multi vitamin (we get Happy Paws...cuz I like the name... ::))

Offline dawnkennedy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 02:17:38 pm »
We got a Newfie and Golden who were living in crates almost all day in the garage.  They are about 2 and 3 respectively, now and I have a small farm.  I had a Newfie before, but this one seems to be so sensitive and seems like her feelings get hurt.  Doesn't like anyone to raise their voice and has her own agenda for play.  She seems as sensitive as a border collie. Is this true?  My other Newfie was so grateful to get away from his previous life that he didn't exhibit this trait.

I just want to reassure her that everything is okay.  The golden is so hyper that he overshadows her and I have to be stricter with him from nipping me.

Dawn

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 02:42:54 pm »
Oh boy…am I glad to find this board of more seasoned Newfie owners and can only hope I don’t wear out my welcome with all my questions!

After months of researching and then looking at the
I would love advice/help with the following…Since we are doing the potty training I keep her crated when not home and right now unless she is with me and I have my eye on her 100% I TRY and confine her to the laundry when I needed to do something.  Eventually I will broaden that confinement to the kitchen area and so forth and so forth. 
The problem is she HATES to be confined.  When I crate her she will bark for 30 to 40 minutes.  I understand this is totally expected for a new puppy in a new environment and should ignore it.  But even when its in other areas (like the laundry) and she can still see us she goes NUTS!  With our goldens it took only a few sharp and loud “no” and they understood where as Chloe refuses to stop. 

Is this because this is all new and she needs to learn this is what we will do in our home or is this a Newf trait that she will forever insist on being part of the family for every occasion or will punish us!!  With only having her a few days as well as her age I am hesitant to take a very harsh dominate role.  She seems so “soft” I don’t want to make her timid. 

Hi! Welcome! I'm Shawna and I have a Newfie pup not much older than your girl. Don't worry about asking questions, I worried about that alot too, totally needlessly.

Sadie did the whole crying in the crate thing as well. Still does on occasion. I think she does it because she wants to be near me all the time. I noticed that when I left the house she didn't bark - at least I couldn't hear her through the door but when I went upstairs to bed or if I went in another room while she was crated she would go nuts. I think when I actually leave the house she accepts that she can't be with me, but if I'm home and she can't see me she finds it offensive. What worked for me was just to ignore it - as much as it made me want to rip my hair out. Every time I went over to tell her to stop, it gave her what she wanted - attention - and made the problem worse. Let her bark - she'll get tired of it (eventually  :P) and she'll accept the situation.

Also, I'm still carrying Sadie up and down the stairs. My breeder told me as long as I could physically carry her, to carry her. Now this week we're having a major growth spurt so that could be coming to an end soon :) But I don't think it's paranoia, you're just being a good mom.

I'm new to Newfies also and I've found that this is a great place with lots of really knowledgable people and great information. Good luck with the new baby!
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 02:43:20 pm »
I can't thank you guys enough for all the help!  This is going to be a wonderful source of information!
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

-Ann landers

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 02:47:10 pm »
I can't thank you guys enough for all the help!  This is going to be a wonderful source of information!
She'll get used to her crate!  :)  It'll become her room soon. 
Lady was great crate training.  Grace...well.. .Grace cried and cried and cried. 
At night...I tell them "time for bed" and they run downstairs at full speed and run into their crates.  If I stay up 5 seconds past 11:15 they sit at the end of the couch as if to say "Bed Time?  Come on Mom...we're on a tight schedule"
I trained them to "go to bed" with treats of course and although I don't need to give them treats now I do. 
Crates are great for giving your puppy security, space of her own and of course no temptation for chewing while you're gone.  She'll learn to like it and treat it as what is hers and hers alone. 
It seems like forever till they stop crying when you put them to bed...but it's worth it in the end. 

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 02:57:49 pm »
When I went home for lunch I just let her follow me around! LOL  She just sort of plodded behind me.  Seriously...I am used to a Golden being distracted by the nearest interesting shoe to chew or cat to chase! 
All this devotion is funny!  :)

I think Newfs are kinda needy, not like little yappy nervous dogs that shake and piss all over the place. Just they really NEED their people.  Maybe someone with lots more experience like newflvr could give you more info, just my amateur observation.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 02:58:30 pm by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”