Author Topic: Ok, I gotta ask...how many Newfoundlands are named....  (Read 14333 times)

Nicole

Re: Ok, I gotta ask...how many Newfoundlands are named....
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2006, 02:16:21 pm »
So, I'm going to share my story, too! ha! Even though Cabeza isn't a full Newf..he's quite Newfish...

His name means "head" in Spanish. When we first got him, he was a foster with nasty heartworm. He was very skinny, but his head was still really big. We called him "The Big Head Dog" for about a month. Or just "Big Head". Or sometimes, "Biggun". Anyway...once we had had him for 2 months and 2 rounds of HW treatment..hah aha...and fell in love with him and decided to keep him...We realized that we couldn't continue to call him Big Head Dog anymore. So, Cabeza he became.

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2006, 02:44:38 pm »
Sigh…Winslow. Now that is a romantic story!
(And Winslow is a cutie!)

Big head dog! To funny!! :D
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2006, 02:51:27 pm »
well.. first i have to say Bear! i love your name! and it fits you soo well!  ;)
i really like the name oso!  i think it's so awesome! and different. 
well i'm one to talk.. fumble is of course a strange name for a dog.  i haven't heard any of them around.. but his akc name is "fumble recovery for a touchdown".. and then i plan on naming my next newf bogey on the 9th green! 
hmm.. i do have to say that out of all the suggestions i definately like koko and oso. never heard of either of those before! 
you could name her after your favorite actress. my sister was saying that she wants to name her future dog something like betty after betty boop!  lol!!
good luck with your new baby too! :)
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2006, 03:03:20 pm »
Fumble is clever and being from an avid and passionate golf family I LOVE Bogey!  That’s too cute.   

I notice Fumble is still young…any advice for someone that owns a 12 week old who is just now (Oh lord!  :)) getting comfortable with us and feeling very feisty! LOL
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

-Ann landers

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2006, 03:45:00 pm »
omg! you could ask any of us!! i know that winslow just a few weeks older, sadie is a spring chicken!, titan is 14 months.. there are a bunch of us on here!
i think the one piece of advice i can give is get into a puppy kindergarten! i think that the socialization with the people and other dogs was the best thing we did for fumble! i think that sometimes he's more excited about he people than he is the dog. and the training is good too!  even though they like to pretend that they don't hear you!   :P no worries either! fumble is my first newfie and my first dog without my parentS! and BPO has been fantastic in helping me with all my problemS! even to this day!! 
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2006, 03:55:39 pm »
Hi,

I second the Puppy Kindergarten! You want to get leash control NOW while you can still control Chloe (or whatever you decide) because by 6 months she'll be tugging you all over the place if she has control of the leash!! At 8 months Winslow will go like he is tugging a cabose (me) while we walk. I give him a quick "heel" command and he stops the tugging (he doesn't heel) but he becomes controlable.
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Sami142

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2006, 04:08:51 pm »
Naming a new puppy can be so hard!  I have a 10 month old female Newf named Jinx, her registered name is "Allegiance Just My Luck".  I have yet to hear of another dog w/that name...hehe   I must say I like the name Oso...
Good luck!
Sami, Jinx, and Rookie

Nicole

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2006, 04:17:04 pm »
My friend has an ENORMOUS black dog (don't know what he is, just really large and black...looks like a 120 pound black lab) named Oso. We almost named Cabeza that, too.

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2006, 04:31:30 pm »
Hi,

I second the Puppy Kindergarten! You want to get leash control NOW while you can still control Chloe (or whatever you decide) because by 6 months she'll be tugging you all over the place if she has control of the leash!! At 8 months Winslow will go like he is tugging a cabose (me) while we walk. I give him a quick "heel" command and he stops the tugging (he doesn't heel) but he becomes controlable.

hahaha fumble does the same exact thing! we were at the beach this afternoon and he literally pulled me and i almost face planteD!  i was trying to work on heel! but hey i would definately suffice for just having a loose leash!

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2006, 05:01:42 pm »
Haha I have face planted.  Kali is 14 months, Titan is 15 months.  If you want to see pics of all our newfs check out the NE Meet n Greet pic page which is on the General Board.  But socialization and early training is definitely a good important.  Kali is little and only about 100lbs but man she can pull.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2006, 09:25:45 pm »
Oh yes...Koko will be in puppy kindergarten. She is already a regular at Home Depot, Petsmart (away from other dogs until all her shots  :)) and sitting on the bench at Wal-Mart. 

I really enjoy obedience and am looking forward to that. (Although in my mind I am shifting gears from the Goldens I worked with to the Newfs...I am thinking they will be a whole different ball game! LOL) 
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

-Ann landers

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2006, 10:21:27 pm »
She is such a cutie...you have to post more pics.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2006, 07:38:14 am »
Thank you!  I am embarrassed to say how long it took me to figure out how to get this one picture up.  It took an hour of huffing and puffing before my husband asked if he could help! (Apparently the picture size was to big?)  !! I am so computer illiterate!  :-[
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

-Ann landers

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2006, 07:43:11 am »
You can upload them to photobucket.co m (free accounts ;D) which automatically resizes them small enough for posting to the boards although I think you need it to be smaller for an avatar. If you use photobucket you only have to add the image link ([IMG]) into the text part of the reply.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2006, 07:57:01 am »
Great information!  Thanks!
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

-Ann landers