Author Topic: Ok, I gotta ask...how many Newfoundlands are named....  (Read 14364 times)

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
Re: Ok, I gotta ask...how many Newfoundlands are named....
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2006, 11:09:35 am »
I don't know any Newfies called Koko :). bear seems to universally popular, can't think why ;)

My four were/are called Molly, Bronte, Honey and Kitten!! It is great when you go to the vets and they call Kitten in, you should see people's faces :D
Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2006, 02:03:53 am »
Oh my gosh...forget it!! Wehave spent the entire weekend calling her Chloe rather than Koko!  Nobody in my family (Including me!) can get it right! This morning we decided just to call her Chloe!  :D
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2006, 02:23:46 am »
Hahaha!  I completely understand!! ;)

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2006, 05:34:11 am »
Chloe is a lovely name, and she is a gorgeous puppy :)
Shelley
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2006, 06:38:03 am »
My four were/are called Molly, Bronte, Honey and Kitten!! It is great when you go to the vets and they call Kitten in, you should see people's faces :D

I've wondered about that myself.  To top it off, he's a HE!  LOL!  Does he have a complex about his name?
Daphne

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2006, 01:10:13 pm »
Seriously…this is getting sad!    :-[
We can’t seem to agree on any name for this wonderful Newfie that has plodded into our lives and stole our hearts. I have never seen anything like it.  Last night my husband commented "This is ridiculous…some families are falling apart due to drugs or alcoholism….ours is falling apart because we can’t agree on the same name for the dog! LOL”

So last night we LITERALLY took a family vote…so now is official! 
“The Dog’s” Name is Kuma.   The vote was to 4 to 1 and the gavel has fallen.  Although  Kuma is Japanese for “bear”, my 4 year old is under the impression we have named her Kuma after Timone and Pumbas’s “Hakuna Matada” from the Lion King! LOL   ;D
Ok…whatever works right? 

(Thank heavens "Kuma" sounds somewhat like Chloe and KoKO!  :D)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 01:11:37 pm by Beth »
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

-Ann landers

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2006, 01:23:50 pm »
I agree also with name your pup with what name suits them best. 

Our big guy Klondike was originally supposed to be Tonka...short for Tatonka which means Buffalo.  We kept visiting him before he came home to us and he was just so mellow and sweet like a Klondike bar, so that's how he got his name.  Plus he is a Landseer so the black & white like the Klondike bar works too.  Our female Madison was named for the Madison River in Yellowstone National Park. Her full name is Kalamaka Madison River O' Joy!!  Our Dad is an avid fly fisherman & the Madison is his favorite fishing river.  Her name suits her too because she like the river is beautiful & she loves water!!!  Our Kelso pup is named because Kelso is the place where Braveheart is buried in Scotland.  He had a small little patch of white on his black fur as a pup in the shape of a heart. Plus we have Scottish and Irish heritage in our family name. 

Go for the name that means something to you and fits your pup best!!  As long as your pups respond when you call them, this is key!!!   LOL!!! ;D

Anita & the 3 Newfies from NJ

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2006, 02:01:09 pm »
I have to just break out in to helpless giggles here!  I know what consternation naming can cause!!  I have a friend who got in to such a twit over her Maltese's name, she actually went on that TV show to ask the pet psychic what the dog wanted to be called>>> ::) ::) ::)

I think whatever your family thinks is perfect!  She'll get used to it and never think too much about it again....hopef ully!!

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2006, 02:07:32 pm »
My Sadie's AKC name is Sadie Hawkins Ladies Choice ;) She got her name because she pretty much chose me instead of the other way around. When I put her down after holding her she jumped back up onto the side of the whelping box and cried until I picked her back up. She wasn't the first one to come over to me and she wasn't the one hiding in the corner. She was right in the middle but once I picked her up and held her, I was done for;)

Sadie is 4 months old and we've had similar issues to the ones you're having. Pottying in the crate, whining to get out of the crate and some Sadie specific issues like figuring out that Bitter Apple Spray washes off in the toilet. The punk :P. Only within the last week or so does it seem like she really "gets it" as far as housebreaking. My advice is just to hang on and try not to kill her ;D. Sadie had me ready to pull my hair out a few weeks ago and she's been amazing for the most part since then. It just takes patience and consistency - they eventually just get it. Someone already mentioned this I think, but I find that she's slow moving the thought from her brain to the part of her body that needs to do something. If I tell her to sit she has to think about it really hard and then she'll slowly plop her butt down. It's funny once you get used to it. I grew up with Goldens and German Shepherds so I understand that it's different than what you're used to. I have to third (or fourth, or fifth)the suggestion of puppy kindergarten, the sooner the better. Sadie started at 12 weeks I think and it's been very helpful. She is an angel on leash now (MOST of the time) and she's getting the hang of her basic obedience commands. She and I butted heads a bit about who was the boss and I think class really helped put her in her place.
Keep us posted!
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2006, 05:05:19 pm »
I don't know any Newfies called Koko :). bear seems to universally popular, can't think why ;)

BEAR
Spanish - Oso
French - Ours
Italian - Orso
Portuguese - Urso
German - Baer
Danish - Bjørn
Russian - Medved
Dutch - Dragen
Swedish - TĂĄla
Latin - Gigno
Hungarian - Medve
Finnish - Kärsiä
Swahili - Dubu
Afrikan - Uithou
Indonesian - Lahir
Yiddish - Ber
Japanese - Kuma
Chinese - Bei
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2006, 10:17:47 pm »
When Onyx first came to live with us, we contemplated changing his name. All of our pets have names from Greek Mythology. We held off until we could evaluate his personality... ..

Since people tend to frown at you when you yell for "Dork" (people up here actually know what that word means...and get a mite testy to hear it used) or some of the other...more colorful names we've used ::) ::) ::)....we decided to play it safe. :-\

I think Kuma is a lovely name.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2006, 06:44:12 am »
<<Since people tend to frown at you when you yell for "Dork" (people up here actually know what that word means...and get a mite testy to hear it used)>>

LOL
 ;D
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

-Ann landers

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2006, 08:32:39 am »
Love all the "bear" names!
Personally, I think I need a "oso" and a "baer" too!  ;D
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

-Ann landers

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2006, 04:47:18 pm »
In Gaelic it's béir

Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2006, 04:32:18 pm »

I've wondered about that myself. To top it off, he's a HE! LOL! Does he have a complex about his name?

Naaaa he doesn't mind his name at all, he even comes to me when I call him Kitty Cat ;D. The people at the water group we are with say he won't swim because he is embarrassed by his name though... I think it is more to do with the fact he is a complete wuss!
Shelley
RIP my darling Bronte