Author Topic: Raised water and food or not?  (Read 11607 times)

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
Re: Raised water and food or not?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2005, 10:37:20 am »
Uh OH!  forgot to post that petsmart has the raised dishes that you can adjust as the dog gets taller.  I think like 20 bucks.

gypsy - I thought about that too - what they do in the wild...not eat on a raised anything....I guess it all comes down to what you feel comfortable with and what works for your dog.
Timmie

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2005, 10:38:55 am »
Life expectancy is still not high for any wild canid. Or for any dog that runs at large for that matter.

The wild ones don't have parasite control, and they don't eat nearly the quality of food that any raw fed domestic dog gets. On the other hand, they are not assaulted with vaccines containing foreign DNA, either. LOL

The POINT is, that your dog, even tho he's been domesticated for some time, is still identical inside to his wild counterparts.

:D

Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2005, 10:42:16 am »
I know some people that have never taken there dogs to the vet and there dogs lived well into there teens, both dogs were shepards. And they fed them Raw diets.

I have always taken my animals to the vets and always will.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2005, 10:57:40 am »
My new pup, Willow, is raw fed since being weaned and no vaccines for 3 generations.  myself and my vet think it is great!!!!
Timmie

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2005, 11:05:39 am »
I'm wondering if there is a link with raw diets and the life span of dogs, do these dogs live longer healthier lives???

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2005, 10:37:17 am »
Actually, the Purdue Bloat study is scientifically flawed.

Dr. Glickman's "opinion" that raised dishes cause bloat is based on the CORRELATION he found between the number of danes who were fed high and the number that bloated. These numbers were self-reported by Dane owners.  A CORRELATION was found because MOST dane owners feed raised, whether it be for health or comfort reasons.  This does not prove a CAUSATIVE relationship.  Giant breed dogs are more prone to bloat because of their anatomy, it is incidental that giant breeds are usually fed from raised feeders.

-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2005, 08:56:28 am »
GreatDanz,
I agree totally!  Here's a funny correlation study I was sent in an email.  Sadly I don't know who to credit it to, but it does make you think about Correlation Studies!  ;D

Fun correlations with Bread

• More than 98 percent of convicted felons are bread users.

• Fully HALF of all children who grow up in bread-consuming households score below average on standardized tests.

• More than 90 percent of violent crimes are committed within 24 hours of eating bread.

• Bread has been proven to be addictive. Subjects deprived of bread and given only water to drink begged for bread after as little as two days.

• In the 18th century, when virtually all bread was baked in the home, the average life expectancy was less than 50 years; infant mortality rates were unacceptably high; many
women died in childbirth; and diseases such as typhoid, yellow fever, and influenza ravaged
whole nations.

• Bread is made from a substance called ‘dough’. It has been proven that as little as one pound of dough can be used to suffocate a mouse. The average American eats more than that in one month!

• primitive tribal societies that have no bread exhibit a low incidence of cancer, Alzheimer’s,Parkinson’s disease, and osteoporosis.

• Bread is often a ‘gateway’ food item, leading the user to ‘harder’ items such as butter, jelly,peanut butter, and even cold cuts.

• Bread has been proven to absorb water. Since the human body is more than 90 percent water,
it follows that eating bread could lead to your body being taken over by this absorptive food product, turning you into a soggy, gooey bread-pudding person.

• New born babies can choke on bread.

• Bread is baked at temperatures as high as 400 degrees Fahrenheit! That kind of heat can kill an adult in less than one minute.

Funniness aside, I do feed Tenchi from a raised platform.  Otherwise he looks like a giraffe drinking.  He has too many joint/leg issues as it is, so I'm not making it worse for him.  I know that wild dogs don't eat from raised feeders, but then again how many wild dogs are there that are 39" at the withers?
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2005, 09:15:09 am »
OMG, that is so funny!!!!  I have a 39" dane too, my fawn Java.  Do you give a joint supplement?  My guess is that Tenchi is just as straight in the joints as Java is.  I just started Flexicose a few weeks ago, and it has helped tremendously! 
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2005, 09:53:15 am »
Yes we do.  I give Tench Hydrajoint 1x a day.  He does really great on it!  I've heard of Flexicose, but haven't found it anywhere in person.

Tenchi's problem isn't being to straight, he has really bowed back legs.  He also pulled his ACL when he was around 1yr old.  He was in a brace for a couple months to prevent it from tearing totally.  He runs like the wind now, but he has a wonky gait sometimes.

Is Mickey your white boy?  He's gorgeous!  Is he deaf like Tenchi or no?  I love both of your boys looks, are they from Euro lines? 
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2005, 10:01:00 am »
I order Flexicose online from their web site, that's the only place I have found it. 

Mickey is my white, he can hear a bit, he just has a hard time telling which direction a sound is coming from.  He also doesn't see well in low light.  Mickey is out of Michaeldane, I haven't been able to find any Euros in his pedigree, but he sure does look like one!  He's somewhere btwn 36" and 37", and he weighs over 190 lbs already.  He'll turn two in November.  Java is all American, but he's got a huge head and the most amazing lips!  He's lanky at 165 lbs. 
-Ericka