Author Topic: You said I could ask for help! Quesion please...  (Read 9239 times)

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
Re: You said I could ask for help! Quesion please...
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2006, 12:23:28 pm »
I need your brother to come live with me for a few months because I am NOT looking forward to getting up in the night…again!  ;D
(I have a 3 year old so it wasn’t that long ago…..)
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2006, 12:37:25 pm »
We'd be more than happy to babysit ;D.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2006, 03:28:36 pm »
we crated fumble. it took a while for him to get used to it.  we would listen for a cry and then take him out. and until he was about 4 months old he was going out at least once a night!  it definately was hard because i love sleeping! but he was worth it!  i have the crate in my room so i could hear what he was doing.  he never had an accident in his crate, but definately had a few around the house!  we had one of those grated floors for the crate and then the puppy pads underneath, just in case. and then we had a divider in the crate that made it smaller! i was changing hte size of the crate at least twice a month! but it was worth it! 
it did take him a while to get used to his crate though.  even now he doesn't really like to get into it.  although from time to time i'll here him go in and lay down, or at night when i shut off the lights and get in bed, he will after about 5 minutes follow and come in. 
what else was i going to say?? oh! i was very reluctatnt to crate him! but i just had to do it!  cause i knew that the house woudlnt' get destroyed and he wouldn't get hurt!  then, my sister started testing him, and leaving him on our porch.. granted the poor furniture took a beating from big teeth!  he adjusted and now when i come home from my lunch break i will let him roam free, which is usually for about 2 hourS! 
good luck though! it's always tough the first few weeks!  at least it's getting warmer out!  :)
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2006, 05:42:08 pm »
oh oh! i remembered what else i was going to say!  until fumble was completely potty trained we usually took his water away between 730-8 oclock.  and when he seemed like he was thirsty we gave him some ice cubes. but it definately helped at night! 
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2006, 03:50:30 pm »
I am very greateful for the weather. On the drive home with Koko it dawned on me this is the ONLY dog I have ever gotten that was not in the dead of winter! Doesn't make getting up at 6:00 am any easier...but at leasts its not cold! ;D
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline IZ

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2006, 06:02:42 am »
I love that I can finally GIVE advice on this subject. Iz is 6 motnhs old now and practically housebroken. He too hated his crate. A breeder gave us great advice - I gave him one meal a day in his crate - so he would associate something good with it. We too got up several times in the night. (you'll see old posts from screaming I wasn't getting any sleep)! He now makes it through the whole night - but really has to go at 5:30AM every day. He goes to bed around 10 so that's not too bad.
He also had MANY baths in the beginning as his "potty manners" were horrible. Make sure you use a gentle PUPPY shampoo.
Also - I would suggest spraying the cage with a pet enzyme spray. This should break down the urine - so they are not AS inclined to go again. Iz would pee in the crate while we were at work in the morning - but thisstopped around 14 weeks I think....
Jennifer - IZ's Mom

"I like my daddy better".  -Iz

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2006, 12:20:01 pm »
I'm going to go a bit against the flow here.  I try to use the crate as little as possible.  It is probably easier for me than for some because I am home most of the time.  I do use it when I'm out of the house and at night to keep a chewing pup safe.  We use two adult sized crates connected together to make one HUGE crate until they are old enough to hold it overnight.  I put papers (or a puppy pad) on one end and the bed on the other.  Pup learns to use the one side for business and sleep in the other side.  I have allergies and can't have the dogs in my bedroom.  Bedroom crating and taking them out at night will work as well.  If you work, you've still got to deal with daytime crating though.  I find they crate train just as quickly with this method and it saves me and the pup a lot of frustration.  There is an age/maturity factor at work and some pups just take longer to get there than others.  4-5 months for a large dog is about average for overnight potty training.  Good luck!  It seems these weeks last forever and that you're not making much progress but the reality is that they will pass quickly and pup will be potty trained in no time.  Diligence now will reap great rewards!
Daphne