Author Topic: Question about ears  (Read 9660 times)

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Question about ears
« on: March 17, 2006, 04:29:41 pm »
Is it possible for an adult dog whos ears don't stand to start to stand or is it a lost cause once they reach adulthood?  Is there anything the owner could do to encourage the ears to stand?
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Question about ears
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 06:01:44 pm »
I am pretty sure they will not stand once the dog is an adult, if they haven't already. :-\

I bet they are cute though!!! :D

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 06:25:34 pm »
He's about 3 yrs old.  He's supposed to look just like his daddy except for the ear flop.  I'm thinking of adopting him if I can get hubby to agree.

Here's his daddy

http://www.canedapastoretedesco.info/Documenti/bsz%20ulm%202003/Auslesi%20maschi/va9.htm
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 06:27:22 pm by Kelly89084 »
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 08:17:20 am »
He's about 3 yrs old.  He's supposed to look just like his daddy except for the ear flop.  I'm thinking of adopting him if I can get hubby to agree.

Here's his daddy

http://www.canedapastoretedesco.info/Documenti/bsz%20ulm%202003/Auslesi%20maschi/va9.htm

if you are adopting him, does it really matter if his ear flops or not

i'm sure he has a neuter contract, adopt. as pet only,,,,,,,,,,just love him
thats what counts
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Offline jacyone

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 08:12:47 am »
Deezle has one ear that flops, which I think is just adorable!  He's from a reputable breeder and registered...i t just never developed and his previous owners didn't worry about it as he was a companion animal.  The same goes for us, we like a bit of character in our family members.  ;D

In answer to your question though, yeah, as a rule if you don't tape the ears by seven or eight months of age it's too late.

jacyone
[/color]

kristi

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 11:16:46 am »
dober_gurl's dog Maggie has an ear that flops.
She is the cutest thing! What a face!

I wouldn't worry about an ear - I would be more worried about any true health concerns.
-k.

Icerotti

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 12:17:28 pm »
Awww a floppy ear just adds character ;D

Offline jacyone

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 12:43:42 pm »
Oh my gosh Ice, that picture is fabulous...tal k about a smile-maker!  ;D

Is that your Rosie?

jacyone

Offline joonsjolly

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 12:47:51 pm »
The easy answer is yes, with a BUT. Floppy ears can be corrected.  If the ear is straight, but laying to the side or on top of the head, yes, it is possible to correct with minimal surgery... a few snips or sutures, depending on the ear.   There are also implanted stays that can be put under the skin of the ear in the case of injury, broken cartilage ect, or for an ear that folds over.  It is much harder to find a vet that will implant stays in the dogs ear than a vet that will do a little 'nip/tuck' to get an ear to stand true. 

As an adult, the ear cartilage has set. You only have time through the dog's transition from puppy teeth to adult teeth to get the ears taped properly and standing. The cartilage stays soft and flexible while the teeth are changing, but after the adult teeth come in, the cartilage hardens, and becomes fixed for all intents and purposes. 

You may have seen Dobes, Danes or Boxers at dog shows with thier ears taped up before going into the ring.  These dogs have been cropped for the long elegant show look, and being such big breeds, the ear leather is heavy, and some dogs have a tendancy for their ears to curl back or forward at the tips.  The taping is just a temporary fix, and has no effect over the long term. 

I have a Giant Schnauzer with a show crop, her ear leather isn't so heavy that I need to tape the tips.  However, there is always SOME curling of the ears as the cartilage sets, but it adds to the elegance of the ear.

Hope this helps.  A cold wet nose in the morning with coffee is heaven, regardless of floppy ears or not.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 12:51:20 pm »
A cold wet nose in the morning with coffee is heaven, regardless of floppy ears or not.

Truer words were never written!!! ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 12:52:20 pm by newflvr »