Author Topic: Kate the BRAT!!!  (Read 10238 times)

k2campbell

Kate the BRAT!!!
« on: April 07, 2006, 08:31:39 am »
Kate!!!

OMG – she just about gave me a nervous breakdown last night!  I let her out around 9:15ish (she just loves being outside, stays out for hours).  She has a few raw bones out there.  By 10ish I was tired, wanted to go to bed.  Eric was at hockey, so I was alone with her.  Our yard is really big, so she’s got tonnes of room to run… 

Called her to come in, she didn’t come.  So, put on my boots and went out.  She wanted to play keep-away with me (with her bone in her mouth).  Was chasing her and cursing for a bit before I gave up.  Came in for a minute (thinking she’d come to the door seeing I was visably upset with her), NOPE.  So – went back out.  Was chasing her saying “Kate – COME NOW!  Get inside!  NOW!  You're being a little b&%#$”!   

I finally got her, but not until 40 minutes later.  I’m exhausted today, but I did run a marathon (so) I’m not surprised!  The kicker was it was raining out too, so she was covered in mud.  Spent a good 20 mins cleaning her when we got in.  Even though I was saying “you don’t do that – no” as I was wiping her feet, the tail was wagging the whole time.  GOSH!  I can't even stay pissed at her for more than a few minutes... 

It’s cute when she plays keep-away, but not when I’m tired, want to get to bed, and have to put on a performance for the neighbours wearing my PJ’s and my hot Sorrel boots I’ve had since 9th grade :-\

Forgot to mention that my shoulder is killing me too.  During the chase, I slipped on a piece of poop and slid across the yard a few meters :-X

Just had to share my little story with you all ::) ;)

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
Re: Kate the BRAT!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 08:42:01 am »
Rocco has an issue with the "come" command. I try not to even use the command if I can't enforce it not like he even knows what it means.

He tries to stay outside in the mornings only on mornings I am running late.  I can usually get him with the flashlight or laser pointer of I just leave him out there for a few minutes until he realizes I don't care (but I do) if he stays outside.

Then at other times he stands at the door and barks and acts like he can't believe I would lock him out.  He is a weird guy.

I am laughing at work imagining you slipping on poop, sorry but it is funny.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline berners

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 09:02:49 am »
I'm guessing she didn't get to sleep on your nice white linen covered bed last night ;)
Jocelyne

Bart - Bernese Mountain Dog
Jessie - Leonberger
Cooper - Leonberger

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 09:04:14 am »
LOL, the little stinker ;)

Sadie does stuff like that all the time, especially at bed time and ESPECIALLY when I'm tired. I think she can tell time, because she always appears to know that it's bedtime and books it. What usually works with her is if I lay down and don't move. She usually gets concerned that something is wrong and comes over to me and then I nab her ;)If that doesn't work, I pretend to cry (LOL, if I'm p*ssed enough at her, sometimes I REALLY cry) that gets her every time.

Sorry that you slipped on poop but at least you didn't fall IN the poop. That would have been gross. ;D
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 09:04:46 am »
Oh dear!  I can totally relate to your story.  Sasha loves to play keep away, particularly in the front yard.  The neighbors think it is funny to watch...

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 09:04:57 am »
Forgot to mention that my shoulder is killing me too.  During the chase, I slipped on a piece of poop and slid across the yard a few meters Lips Sealed

EWWW!!!  Poor you!!!   

Do you use bribery?  It helps to get Chester in when he's in a feisty mood!  He can't seem to remember, in those moments, what "come" means, but will haul a** if I yell "treat"!!! :P

Offline redbreast

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 09:05:27 am »
Don't you love it when your dog plays that game with you?  I am so jealous when I see dogs that come when their people call them or dogs that follow their people off leash and don't run away.  But when I voiced that to my husband he said if I wanted a dog like that I should have gotten a lab!

Kiahpyr

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 11:48:19 am »
Come what's that? Yep I know exactly how you feel. Kiah doesn't like to come either. It's a four letter word! I have chased her out in the the snow and rain. I'm always cleaning her up for something. I out there yelling swearing and yes the neighbors think I'm crazy and can't control my own dog. I really don't care though.

The kicker is if my husband goes out to get her she listens. All he has to do is snap his fingers and point to the door. I'm like wtf! How do you do that? Or my hubby can go to the window and do it! AAHHH! At least Kitana comes when I call her!

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 02:05:20 pm »
Sammy loves to play the I'm not coming in...in fact I am not even going to aknowlege you game...Ecspeci ally when I have to go to work...I've had to chase him with a stick to get him in!..Of coarse I'd never hit him but I am sure my neighbors must think I abuse that poor dog...lol!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 02:09:22 pm »
Grace is like that too.  She'll come to the back door and pounce it with her front paws to let me know she's out there and wants in.  Lady slides right in.  Grace stands there looking at me like...thanks for opening the door.  1.) where's my D@!*M treat and 2.) I'll be in when I'm ready.  I was just kidding when I banged on the door to see if you'd get up and walk over here to let me in.  She drives me crazy.  I have a pocket full of treats most times so she knows if she comes in she gets a num num.

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 02:27:32 pm »
Poor Mom--your Katie's turned into a teenager, wants to stay out all night and party, won't come in, makes you fall in poo.  Next time, just leave her out for Dad to deal with!  ;)

Have you tried an extra special treat when she comes inside and gets her feet cleaned? 

My sister's demonspawn BC has FINALLY learned that if he comes inside and holds/stands nicely and gets his feet, etc. wiped clean when he comes inside the house, he gets a piece of weenie (which is like swiss chocoloate to him.) She always takes a damp hand towel to the door with her, no matter what the weather is, to wipe their feet with.   

Find a treat that Kate just LOVES, and only let her have it when she comes inside and lets you wipe her feet. Then you can get her to come inside by waving the treat at her.  :D

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 03:29:38 pm »
I can sure tell by your story that Kate and Dazy are right about the same age.  Cause Dazy does that crazy crapola all of the time.  I do what someone suggested above though.  When I take her out, I go out with treats in hand and tell her "In the house".  She doesn't get one until she is in the house getting cleaned up.  Most of the time, it works pretty well.  Most of the time.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 03:34:45 pm »
Kate!!!
It’s cute when she plays keep-away, but not when I’m tired, want to get to bed, and have to put on a performance for the neighbours wearing my PJ’s and my hot Sorrel boots I’ve had since 9th grade :-\

Just had to share my little story with you all ::) ;)

Hahahaha!!! That is soooo funny. I'm glad when I hear stories of cute little Kate (and other doggies) being a stinker.
Your pj story made me laugh out loud too. Unfortunately for my neighbors I look retarted every night when we go out do our final potty walk. My usual attire: pj's, a beanie, Michael's old snow jacket, and blue/green/white striped rainboots.  :)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.