Author Topic: HOT HOT HOT  (Read 8670 times)

Rufiesmom

HOT HOT HOT
« on: May 27, 2005, 10:33:42 am »
We are supposed to have a heat wave today.  Rufus hates water or I'd hose him down.  How is everybody keeping their kids cool?

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: HOT HOT HOT
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 10:43:34 am »
Hey Rufiesmom I'm down here in Vancouver Washington and I think we are feeling the same heatwave.  We have AC so Leo just stays inside and lays on the cool entryway floor.  I notice that he's not wanting to drink very much so I have to keep leading him over to the water bowl.  He looks thin to me today so I'm a little worried about him.  I heard somewhere to put ice cubes in the water dish? 

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 10:47:33 am »
how about keeping him indoors with the air conditionig on

works for us

we live in florida  we have a long summer

so  criiters all over the house on sofa, beds , floors
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 10:53:08 am »
I wish it would get warm here, Eastern Long Island. Its finally gonna make it to 70 today. A whole week of rain & it even was down to 47 one day.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
Re: HOT HOT HOT,, ummmmmm???
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 10:54:37 am »
  shaving a dog really does not keep them cooler

fur protects from heat and cold 
also from sunburn

just my opinon,,,,,,
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Rufiesmom

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 10:57:01 am »
I forgot Rufus likes ice cubes!  We live out in the woods so don't have air conditioning and usually don't need it.  Guess I'd better find the fan and get it out! 

Rufiesmom

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 11:03:07 am »
I think you are right.  We had a really short hair cut for Rufus a couple of summers ago and he just seemed hotter  :-\ Plus his hair grew back in more curly which is undesirable in Pyrs.  :-[  Our rotti doesn't mind the heat and if she would leave Rufus alone I think he would be cooler.  She just wants to play all the time.  Girls just wanna have fun!!

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 12:20:46 pm »
This is a painful thread for me to read. Here in Nova Scotia we have been having one of the worst months in decades. Where is the sun????? It has been raining for so long now that some of the counties here have been declared a state of emergency! We just got back from the park where there is now a puddle the size of a good pond and to the top of Hutch's belly where there used to be just lots of lovely grass. It is getting very depressing here, so I envy the heat wave that you may be getting.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Luvmydanes

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 01:34:14 pm »
Its 90 here today, and yesterday too. We have a 2 story house, and upstairs it feels like it is about 150. lol. It is so hot you can barely breathe. I have all the windows open and fans going, but it isn't doing much...What I would do for some rain...lol

Kandi

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 01:40:37 pm »
We're onna be getting the cool pad soon, but for now Bear relaxes inside with the AC and fans on.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2005, 01:44:05 pm »
It has been unussally hot here as well. Not in the 90's OMG I just checked Thats like 30C. It has been in the 80's though (20C). It is so dry that there are fire restrictions everywere. We need some rain. Pass it on over Saintgirl. Id give you our sunshine for a few days anyway. :)
Everyone in the U.S Enjoy your long weekend!!
Karen
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Luvmydanes

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 02:15:29 pm »
We need to get our air conditioner up and going I guess too. Maybe this weekend I can get Shaun to do that. *fingers crossed* lol. It is miserable here...I'm praying this heat wave passes soon! The dogs are dying...especi ally Dane with his black coat!

Kandi

Offline bigdoglover

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2005, 02:25:59 pm »
we live in the midwest and it has been very nice here-70's no rain lately so everything is pretty dry here. when it gets above 75 my lab thinks it is a heat wave and need a fan blowing on her or she looks like she will die. glad we have a/c for the summers or she would never make it. a nice cool wet cloth on their heads or faces seems to help. we also have a basement so it is cooler there and i keep my blinds and drapes shut when it does get hot here in the burbs of chicago.

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2005, 10:23:58 pm »
Today was in the mid 90's here so I kept Leo in the house with the AC pretty much all day, but he kept wanting to come out with us.  He laid in the shade for a while, but hubby said he caught him having dry heaves and then some white stuff came up.  He's eating normally (very picky) and has had plenty to drink, but I still worry about him.  He's not a hearty boy by any means and I have to fight to keep his weight on him.  He'll drop 15lbs just like that and the vet says he's fine.  I've taken him to two different vets and they said the same thing.  Then he just perks up and eats great for a while.  Just one of the finicky kids I have around here I guess.  We'll see how tomorrow goes.  It's supposed to be 88 here.

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2005, 07:23:05 am »
Well guys, just ship all of your dogs to me for a little break from the heat, I'll leave my BF in charge, and I'll come out to visit you all in the heat! Today is number 7 of rain... at least it is only showering. My poor sister had the bridge down to her road washed away. Luckily they have a four wheeler and can get to the main road on that! Not so lucky for the others down her road, so they are being kept pretty busy right now. Enjoy the sun!!!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey