Author Topic: Starting doggy on BARF  (Read 4511 times)

doggylover

Starting doggy on BARF
« on: March 20, 2006, 07:37:15 pm »
I'm SO excited!  I am on day two of the Barf Diet, and I've ground everything up for the whole week.  It is a bit intimidating, but I read that it is supposed to help with orthopedic problems.  We found out last week that he has hip displaysia.  We just aren't willing to put him through yet another major surgery, so we are trying this, combined with bedrest and a wide range of dietary supplements. 
So far Badger LOVES Barf.  No surprise there since the food is beyond disgusting, and his favorite thing in the world to eat is his own butt. 
 ;D

doggylover

Re: Starting doggy on BARF
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 02:48:00 am »
We have been barf'ing for 3 days now and something very very strange is happening.  My Badger is somehow...more mellow, sweeter, more pleasant.  Some of what I read indicated that this sometimes happens on this diet, but I never really believed it. 
Take for example his grumbles.  Many Rottys grumble, but mine makes it an art form.  You can almost make out the sounds of cuss words when he is doing it. 
Usually when I tell him to go to bed for the night, he sighs and grunts, grumbles and generally complains all the way there.  Tonight, when I patted him and told him to go to bed, he gave me kisses and went (my dog also doesn't normally give kisses freely, they must be earned) without a peep. 
Wake me up, I think I'm dreaming!
Ronda ;D 

Offline Boyle

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 09:56:50 am »
Congrats on the switch!  We had Nola on pre-made BARF for about a month then switched over to prey model in January.  His coat is better, teeth cleaner and poops smaller.  Only a big dogs owner would get excited about smaller poops. ;D  We haven't noticed any real difference in his temperment but then he is only 1 and somewhat nuts. 

doggylover

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 01:55:27 pm »
Congrats on the switch!  We had Nola on pre-made BARF for about a month then switched over to prey model in January.  His coat is better, teeth cleaner and poops smaller.  Only a big dogs owner would get excited about smaller poops. ;D  We haven't noticed any real difference in his temperment but then he is only 1 and somewhat nuts. 
LOL I noticed the smaller poops right away.  I think the thing I like about this diet is how good I feel about what he is eating now.  The temperment change for Badger was also so noticable that my husband was worried at first that the diet was making him sick, he was so well behaved.  The only thing I'm not liking is the cost.  I've tried a few different avenues for getting meat, and keep ending up with a $100/month average.  We are getting a pup next month (bullmastiff so also big)and we might have to move into our car to keep feeding them (ok that is a slight exageration but still). 
You have to ask yourself, "is there really ANY cost too high to have smaller poop" for us, the answer is NO. 
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline krismark

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • My babies!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 01:04:04 pm »
I don't feed my dogs a BARF diet, but they do eat Wysong.

One of my boys has hip displaysia and along with a high quality diet and exercise, he also recieved a course of accupuncture and chiropractic treatments when he was about 1 year old.

When we got him he couldn't make it up the two stairs we have in our house. After the accupuncture and chiraopractics he imporved greatly. He is now 6 years old and run around like wild with no problems. He hasn't even had "maintenance" sessions. (plus my vet retired, dammit)