Author Topic: Sam & the wild bunnies...  (Read 10061 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

Sam & the wild bunnies...
« on: May 27, 2005, 04:53:09 pm »
The day before yesterday I let Samson out in our newly fenced in back yard & there were two wild rabbits out there I didn't see...Well, he went after them & one escaped under the fence & one tried to get under where there wasn't enough room & got stuck...Sam had his face down by it & the bunny was just screaming...I freaked!./..I thought he was eating it...So, I run across the yard as fast as a person of my roundness...lo l..can!...I got there just in time to see the bunny squeeze either under or through the fence...not sure which...Here's the kicker...Samso n was not hurting the bun...He was shoving it through with his snout...When I talked to the breeder yesterday & started to tell her the story she finished it for me...She knew what he was trying to do...is this common for Pyrs?...I just thought it was wonderful!...He is such a gentle soul & really seems to love other animals...Anyo ne else ever have an expyrience like this?

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Sam & the wild bunnies...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 05:14:25 pm »
How cute is that!! Everyone would like to think that our Big Dogs are mean when they are true lovers.
I saw a beautiful Pry in town the other day. I have never seen one before or maybe just never noticed them but what a handson guy he was. He was just sitting there all calm.Lovely!!
Karen
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 01:45:31 pm »
I had only seen one other Pyr in person before we got Samson...Her name was Daisy & she was a 2 yr. old at our Humane Society...I didn't have room for a dog then but she always stuck out in my mind...I am friendly with the Humane Society staff & she ended up in a good home with lots of land!...Pyrs are supposed to be the picture of grace & serinity as adults...Sammy is a very mellow dude now but not very graceful or serene...lol!

Rufiesmom

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 02:21:03 pm »
All the Pyrs I've seen are indeed calm and serene and very gentle around harmless animals.  Rufus isn't very graceful either.  He's hilarious when he gets goofy and bunnyhops around.  He is going on 8 so not a kid anymore!

Offline chantaje

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 04:49:59 pm »
Neo gets so excited that'll charge at small dogs or cats but always manages to stop short and then just nuzzle them.  I'm sure they (and the owners) are fearing for their lives.  They walk away covered in slobber but not a hair harmed.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 06:25:51 am »
Wow, Samson is a great dog.  My guys like to play with any poor bunny who nests in my yard.  The only problem is the bunnies don't fare too well with the playing my guys do.  I would love if they would assist them out of the yard so I don't have to watch for nests when I mow. 8)
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 04:54:47 pm »
wow, isnt that something..... :o We have lots and lots of cottontail here, Trouble our cat could take notes from Sams good behaviour. She is a outdoor/indoor cat mostly indoor, but gets out from time to tiime, just to sit on the porch for awhile, and is never far away, comes as soon as I call. But a couple of years ago, she was a real BAAAAD  kitty, she came home with several cottontail babies. I had to call the wildlife rehab center because cats are caurnevours and have nasty bacterias in their mouth, that will kill a little bunny in about 24 hours. After having called them a few times I felt soooo bad, they are a non profit org. and I felt I was pushing my luck with these kind people. So I became a licensed wildlife rehabber. I dont take in fosters (I have way too many animals for that) But after the classes I can take care of what we find and I help out with the hotline a few hours a week. I had no intention to get involved but Trouble kinda made me feel I had to. Sooooo be happy Sam is such a great dog or you may find yourself volunteering for wildlife too hehe

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog