Author Topic: Everyone who works with animals....I need your input  (Read 3667 times)

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
Everyone who works with animals....I need your input
« on: March 21, 2006, 05:28:09 pm »
Ok so I turned 30 this past week(thank you to all who wished me well....I needed it  :P) and my ever present job limbo is getting old. I've been in my current career(artsy retail related) for 10 years and am sick of it...not going anywhere and not caring anymore. I've been scouring want ads for months and the only thing I am interested in is working with animals. I know there are many fields in this catagory, many require schooling which I have none but am willing to go through. So my question is, those of you who work with animals, what do you do? What does it entail(tail...get it? ::)) any suggestions as to where I should look...don't see many ads online so far.
I was thinking about volunteering to start.
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone who works with animals....I need your input
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 06:10:20 pm »
My mom has worked varying animal related jobs for awhile.  She's worked at a pet store (when they weren't getting a ton of sick puppies), a showbarn, the greyhound track, and now works as a vetinary assistant.  I'd suggest maybe looking at animal hospitals in your area...sometim es you can start and they train you and you work your way up or you could be a receptionist or kennel help.  I don't know what kind of oppurtunities are in your area, but there's likely to be something.  As long as you can deal with the disgusting aspects of animals and don't mind getting eaten by cats and little dogs, you should be able to find something...th e only thing is that the pay isn't great in any animal related job unless you're high up.  What about doggy daycares around you, too?  Think of all the pet related buisnesses in your area and let us know...you could try Petco or any type of petstore.

AS far as the vet assistant goes...you do tests (fecals, urine,blood, etc), sometimes draw blood, restrain animals for the vet, assist in surgery, do nail clips, clean cages, do xrays, fill prescriptions, etc....but all of it varies between clinics and what degree of technology they have.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 06:15:40 pm »
Volunteering to start is great.  It will get you some experience, which many places require.

One bad thing about animal related careers is that they don't pay much, so if that's a factor, you might want to stick with a good paying job and just volunteer.

If that's not a problem for you, a good starting job is as a kennel tech or kennel staff for a vet clinic or kennel.  You don't need a degree for that, and most places hire teens so I'm sure you could handle it.   ;D

Another option, if you have good office skills, is as a receptionist for a vet clinic, clinic, doggie day care, etc. 

Most vet clinics hire techs as their staff, which does require a degree (usually).  But some will hire vet assistants, in which no degree is required.  You will have to decide if you are able to handle working at a vet clinic as you will see some horrific things come thru the door and deal with very ignorant and rude people......an d sometimes even vets (which is why I am no longer working at a vet clinic currently)

I am currently a dog walker/pet sitter.  I love the job.  I get to pick my own hours, I'm outside for alot of the day, and I can pick and choose who I want to deal with.  Of course, you won't really make any money for at least the first year of your business unless you maybe do alot of advertising.  I don't advertise, and after a year, I am just starting to make money. Of course we are moving out of state in May, so I will have to start all over again (if I even decide to stick with it........not sure if I want to be outside in harsh winters).

Hmmmm......not sure what else is out there.  Groomers usually need experience.  If you like horses, you might be able to get work mucking out stables, there's alot of them in the Del Mar area.  Just keep an eye out.  And alot of places don't advertise in the paper, so if you're interested in working at a certain place, call to see if you can drop off a resume or talk to someone about a job.

Good luck with the career change.   :)

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 07:33:44 pm »
I have thought about working as a receptionist at a vet office(as opposed to a vet assistant)...I am very good with people however would not have a strong enough stomach for things like surgeries.
Pet stores are out because I'm trying to get away from retail. hmmmm.

I still think voluteering is a good start...then I don't have to give up my job right away. Just thinkin out loud....lol.

Thanks for the info  :)
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 07:45:44 pm »
I'm not sure where you are located or what animal related field you are interested in but my choice has always and will alwasy be a zookeeper.  I love my job and I get to work with a wide range of exotic animals.  I never have the same day twice and there is always something new to learn.  However, saying all that the pay is definitely low and you won't ever become rich doing this job.  If you have any questions feel free to PM me and I will be glad to answer any questions.  Most zoos will hire someone with relatively little experience in a starting position.  Also if you are interested in zookeeping go to www.aza.org and look under their job postings.  I hope this helps.

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 08:20:12 pm »
Actually, here in CA, where shredit is located, you need ALOT of experience to work at any of the zoos here. Believe me, I tried to get a job at the zoos here and applied several times with no luck.  And I have keeper experience.

Unless of course you just want to work in concessions or tickets or do tours.  You really need connections to work at the big  two here.  Don't know if there are any smaller ones in the area.

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 10:59:00 am »
I apologizing for busting in on your topic... I soooo feel the same way you do, only difference is I am a few years older...   

I am wondering does anyone have any info on becoming a dog trainer?

Thanks!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 08:27:33 pm »
Well, as far as becomming a dog trainer....... .I believe some places teach classes for that.  If not, or even if you can take classes, I also would suggest you do an apprenticeship with a trainer.  Be sure to pick an ethical one.  I've heard that is the best way to learn the ropes and to get your foot in the door.

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 09:10:46 am »
Well, as far as becomming a dog trainer....... .I believe some places teach classes for that.  If not, or even if you can take classes, I also would suggest you do an apprenticeship with a trainer.  Be sure to pick an ethical one.  I've heard that is the best way to learn the ropes and to get your foot in the door.

Thanks for the info.... I am just beginning to research. now. 

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 09:40:04 am »
 I have been training and doing limited in home boarding for years. I love the job most of the time (k not so fun when they wake you up every hour to go out after they have pooped and smeared it all over their crate).
I feel the best way to start in training is to take your own dogs to as many classes as you can...then ask if you may mentor under a good trainer. I do not believe a good trainer comes from reading books or doing 6 week training classes held by some corporate store. A good trainer comes from having dog ability and years of hands on.

How about grooming...one of the few animal related fields where one can live on the income. There are many grooming schools around and some groomers will train.

Also doing in home pet care where you go to the persons house is a growing field. At the prices they charge they have to be able to eat at the end of the day.

Good luck~

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 03:05:51 pm »
Ok so I turned 30 this past week(thank you to all who wished me well....I needed it  :P) and my ever present job limbo is getting old. I've been in my current career(artsy retail related) for 10 years and am sick of it...not going anywhere and not caring anymore. I've been scouring want ads for months and the only thing I am interested in is working with animals. I know there are many fields in this catagory, many require schooling which I have none but am willing to go through. So my question is, those of you who work with animals, what do you do? What does it entail(tail...get it? ::)) any suggestions as to where I should look...don't see many ads online so far.
I was thinking about volunteering to start.

try volenteering at a shelter, i did that, worked my way up to head vet. tech,,,,,,,,,,, but after a while, the sadness of a shelter got the best of me. it's not for everyone, especially euth. so sad, so many unwanted and sick animals.
weall do what we can, shelters really need the help , even if you just go to walk and feed dogs,pet them, give them some love, before thier time might run out.  i was lucky, the shelter i worked in, did not have that horrible 5 day pollicy, not adopted or claimed, put down. we had dogs and cats there for months,   the adoptions made up for all the sadness. one dog was so scragly, i bathed it, groomed it, put a bow on her, AND,,,,,,,She got adopted! (yea, i groomed too) working with animals can be rewarding, trainig for therapy is a great feeling, you can foster pups until they go off to therapy school.or, try volenteering, get your foot in the door,  they will teach you,  good luck in your endevors
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2006, 07:40:00 pm »
That is a good point...I wouldn't last one day in a high kill shelter. I'm checking out a few rescues in the area.
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2006, 08:13:47 pm »
You might want to think about becoming a pet trainer.  I have been a pet trainer with petsmart for a while.  They put you through a school that is completely worth it and then you are an ACCREDITED pet trainer.  I also never have the same day twice and it is so satisfying seeing a dog come in and not know a thing and then after an 8 week course be able to do whatever you ask them.  If you want to know anymore info about it like pay or anything feel free to pm me.  good luck
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel