Author Topic: Humor me...because I gotta say...  (Read 10219 times)

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
Humor me...because I gotta say...
« on: March 22, 2006, 09:27:16 am »
I just love my Newfoundland!  ;D
I know!  We ALL love our Newfoundlands. ..but with being a "newbie" Newfie owner this is all new to me so please humor me.

First let me explain- I am so NOT a huggy “baby your dog” person.  I don’t baby talk my dogs nor buy them "cutsy" little doggy gifts.   (I love that quote from a dog that says “Yea…sure I will wear your stupid rain coat or dumb hat… if you will wear my tail…” )

I love dogs…but I also respect them and have always felt they are dogs FIRST.  Companions…not babies.  Some of the worst behavior problems I have seen were the result of people trying to make their pets “people” first and dog second (And then not understanding when they DID act like a dog!). 

HAVING SAID THAT, please let me just say...

I just love that big boo boo, lovey wovy fuzzy wuzzy black bear with all my heart.  ;~))))
 :D   :D   :D
Kuma is my big old snookie puss…
~~talking in squeaky baby tones~~
yes she is…
yes…she is….
she is my big girl…

;~))))))

I just adore her!   ;)

I know there is no perfect breed…only the the perfect breed for the right family.  I took MONTHS researching the Newf and always felt the compatibility was there but I am  so pleasantly pleased out how well Kuma is fitting into our family and our lifestyle.  Yes…we are going through our typical struggles (Housebreaking, chewing…chewing on my son like a playmate, etc.) but its really all very worth it because of the enjoyment we are getting in return. 

Ok…I am done now.  I feel much better and thank you for letting me express my feelings!  ;D

Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Humor me...because I gotta say...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 09:32:54 am »
Oh, BABY....you're preaching to the choir on that one!! I've dogs my whole life...but having a Newf just took it to a new level!  Both my husband and I say we'll never be without a Newf ever again!

To see my tall (6'4"), lanky husband curled up around his poor suffering Chester last night took dog love to a new level. :-*

Congrats on joining the NAC (Newf Appreciation Club)!! ;) ;) ;)

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 09:35:44 am »
I completely agree!  Although, I do admit to talking baby talk to the newfie girls sometimes... ::)  They're just so cute!

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 09:42:25 am »
Don't have to tell me! ;)

I sometimes wonder if Sadie secretly thinks I'm an idiot. I talk to her like an absolute moron. I sing the "potty song". I sing the "suppertime song". She's very bright and sometimes I think I catch her looking at me like "Momma, do you smoke crack?"
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 09:42:31 am »
Oh Dear...how IS poor old Chester?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 09:44:00 am by Beth »
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

-Ann landers

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 09:46:11 am »
He's not a happy boy.  But he'll live through this...not too sure about me, though.  I just hate to see him sad!! :-[

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 09:57:37 am »
Beth......I TOTALLY read you!!  LOL!

I'm not a dog person. (or I thought I wasn't  ;))  I've never had a dog but always thought I'd like to get one.  I picked a Saint because of one I knew as a child and because of everything I've read about them.  But it's just a dog, right?

Nope!

I love my "widdle snuggle butt" too!  LOL!  Whoda ever thought we'd be excited by drool and solid poopies outside!  LOL!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline Boyle

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 09:58:42 am »
Your post made me crack up. 

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 10:03:49 am »
He's not a happy boy.  But he'll live through this...not too sure about me, though.  I just hate to see him sad!! :-[

Perhaps this will help poor Chester see the bright side :)
my boy Blu thanked me after his surgery cause he no longer had to sit on his "stuff" (he was 4 when I rescued him and had his surgery)... his comfort level went up 100% ....lol

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 10:05:42 am »
Hi,

My wife pushed the puppy issue, she has and will only own BIG DOGS. Of course she promised to do all the care and everything for the dog, as I am a pet tolerant person, as in a like animals I just didn't want to own one.

Then came Winslow and it is hard for Dawn to interupt my time with MY boy. I have to agree that there is nothing better than his unconditional tail wagging.
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 10:12:57 am »
Hi,

My wife pushed the puppy issue, she has and will only own BIG DOGS. Of course she promised to do all the care and everything for the dog, as I am a pet tolerant person, as in a like animals I just didn't want to own one.

Then came Winslow and it is hard for Dawn to interupt my time with MY boy. I have to agree that there is nothing better than his unconditional tail wagging.

Well, I can't blame you. Winslow is pretty irresistable.
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 10:38:00 am »
Hi,

Thanks and I'd say Sadie is a pretty lucky girl too. When can we get the "kids" to mix again? How about Saturday at the State Forest

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/northeast/ldtf.htm

Winslow loves the place!! And it isn't so cold with all the big trees to block the wind. Let me know if Sadie is up for a stroll? Any time.
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 10:42:51 am »
I am so glad to know I am not the only fool in love!  :D

Winslow’s Dad:
You are my husband made over!!  I grew up with big dogs…in my house…in my bed, etc.  My husband was only moderately “pet tolerant”.  He can appreciate them... as long as they belong to someone else!  ;D  He certainly did not care for them in the house and it didn’t help that the house we now live in has NEVER had a pet in it.  You could eat off the floor it was that clean. 

Needless to say he was not happy when I started the “I want a dog” issue.   But he gave in and I am amazed how attached he is becoming to Kuma.  I about fell out of the bed this past weekend he got up on Sunday morning telling me to “sleep in…I will let Kuma out.”  :o

I really think it is her docile and laid back personality (Even for a puppy!).  She did not come into our home with a bull-in-a-china-shop “pet me NOW” reeking chaos and havoc mentality.  She is also no up in his face 24 hours and he is impressed with that and feels he can approach her.  Its been pretty neat to see unfold because I know situations like this can end up disastrous. 
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

-Ann landers

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 01:25:10 pm »
I really think it is her docile and laid back personality (Even for a puppy!).  She did not come into our home with a bull-in-a-china-shop “pet me NOW” reeking chaos and havoc mentality.  She is also no up in his face 24 hours...

That is so cool!  My in-laws are NOT excited about the AM we are getting.  They have always had poodles and I suppose they (besides thinking he will eat our 19 month old son) are thinking he will be like you said "bull in a China Shop" dog, with high energy, etc.  I so hope to prove them wrong!  And I can't wait for our schmoopy pooper! <giggling>   
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2006, 02:47:35 pm »
I LOVE IT!!! :D I guess a Newfie will make you fall so in love you forget you're no a "silly" dog person...lol!...That's cool!