Author Topic: My first post - and a sad one  (Read 8453 times)

Gypsy Jazmine

Re: My first post - and a sad one
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2006, 09:51:09 am »
Welcome to BPO!...You've come to the right place for advise or just a shoulder to cry on...I am sorry to hear that your pupper isn't well...The only thing I can tell you is to enjoy him & let him enjoy to the fullest...Each day could be any of our last...Live & let live while you are living...I am sending BIG HUGZ & prayers from Iowa. :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 08:12:25 pm by Gypsy Jazmine »

k2campbell

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2006, 12:58:35 pm »
Thank you so much for sharing your story with me. 

You are welcome for sharing my story!  From what I'm reading, I think it's fair to say that Barkley isn't being affected by the lyphoma (nor the treatment) all that much - which is GREAT! 

The thirst and frequent urination began immediately for Slater when being put on prendisone.  We live in a 3 story split (and with all the peeing) I slept on the floor with Slater in our living room for his last 2 months with us - every night.  He had to go so often, it was easier for him to be close to the backdoor (and not do the stairs constantly).  I'm glad Barkley hasn't had any of these side effects, as it is both frustraing and sad...

Of course you'll start to trick yourself, especially with how good Barkley is doing.  It is so hard - but I truly do admire you're courage. I think the attitude you've taken on to cope with this news is absolutely great, and I think in the long run - Barkley will appreciate it so much ;) He would want you to enjoy every day with him, just as you've chosen to do :)

BPO is an amazing group of people, I also fell upon it "some how", I don't even remember how.  BUT - I sure am glad I did!!!  They truly are all angels :-*

Take care and please give Barkley a great big hug from us!
Kelly & Kate
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 12:59:07 pm by k2campbell »

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2006, 08:20:30 am »
I am so, SO sorry to hear that you're going through that. I lost my childhood best friend Kerry (a Golden Retriever) to canine lymphoma. I remember my head spinning when I got the diagnosis. I did choose the chemo route and like others have said, stopped it when it became clear that it was making him feel horrible. He completely lost his appetite which was unheard of for him. I also tried radiation which sent him into a sort of remission for a month or so, and I enrolled Kerry in an experimental program at Tufts University when I had no other options. I had almost 8 months of a happy, seemingly healthy dog before I had to let him go.

I can relate to the tricking yourself to think they're not really sick. Kerry almost never let on that he wasn't feeling 100% like himself. One day he was out back in the yard playing ball with me and then the next day he just wasn't himself. He couldn't walk very well and he just kept looking at me with this expression that was totally unrecognizable . He was telling me he was ready. And it was the hardest decision I ever had to make but I took comfort in that he had been his regular (sorta dopey) self right up until the day before. I agree with what Kelly said, the way he was during chemotherapy was not what I wanted for him for his last days. He died in my arms and even though I was heartbroken, I knew it was the right choice and I had done the best I could for him.

In hindsight, I think part of my decisions for Kerry at the time were based on the fact that he was my childhood dog and the first time I'd had to make these decisions on my own. I was still pretty young myself. I tried every treatment the doctor recommended because I was so desperate not to lose my best friend. Kerry was diagnosed with stage 5 right away so there wasn't ever much hope for him.

From what you've said, it sounds like he's doing well and not experiencing symptoms which is fantastic. I think the love we have for our puppers is a powerful healer and it sure sounds like there's plenty of that to go around where you are. I am sorry you're going through this, I've been there. Hugs to you and your Barkley.
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 11:28:52 am »
I wouldn't worry about you fooling yourself into thinking Barkley isn't ill. As long as it's not affecting his quality of life, he isn't ill as far as he's concerned. You're probably better off putting it to the back of your mind for now and making the most of your time with Barkley.

My first dog, Dingo, had to be PTS due to lymphoma. She was almost 13 and the choice was taken out of our hands as far as chemotherapy goes as the biopsy showed it was a very aggresive form of lymphoma and she had a secondary tumour in her liver - she was never going to get better whatever was done. All we could do was make her comfortable for as long as possible. She was a very fit dog for her age and was swimming a few days before she became sick. The onset was very sudden and one afternoon she just couldn't move and looked very scared - she must have been in a lot of pain. I knew that moment something serious was going on and sadly the vet comfirmed my worst fears. She rallied round on the steroids and other medication, but after a month or so, her whole front leg was swollen to three times it's size and she couldn't even lie down comfortably. We knew it was time to take her.