Author Topic: Mediocre night  (Read 2769 times)

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
Mediocre night
« on: March 27, 2006, 04:28:17 am »
We've had such a good weekend with Barkley, but last night wasn't the greatest.  He was having trouble settling down for bed.  I've been leaving both dogs in the basement overnight for the last few weeks because of his diarrhea (much easier to clean up the basement than the dusty rose carpets in the house!), but he's had a good few nights so I thought I'd try him back up in the bedroom with us.

He was panting - and I'm trying to figure out if it's more than usual or not.  It was enough that it sent my husband to the couch.  He did settle down and slept through the night (both husband and dog!) eventually.

This morning we woke up at our usual time, and I took a minute to go to the washroom upstairs.  By the time I got to the head of the stairs, he was squatting at the bottom having a little pee on the carpet.   He is drinking a lot and although he ate all the canned food in his breakfast, he didn't finish the dry.

And of course I have to go to work today ... no option to stay home with him as I did that two days last week before the diagnosis.

Ick.  I'm not going to like this - I can already tell.

I'm so glad I found this board - you folks are amazing. 
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Mediocre night
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 08:05:25 am »
That could be either a side effect of the drugs (the do drink more!) or maybe Barkley still doesn't feel 100%.  Maybe call the vet and let him know what happened and they could maybe tweak the meds a bit.  I guess the good news is  that at least it wasn't diarrhea!!  ;)

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 08:11:37 am »
Bless your heart!
Barkley is lucky to have you!
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 06:31:39 pm »
what kind of antibiotics is he oN??? some of the steroid based ones make your dogs thirsty and pee more often.  fumble was on one, and he peed almost every half hour!  :o
good luck with Barkley!!!! 
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 06:35:45 pm »
what kind of antibiotics is he oN??? some of the steroid based ones make your dogs thirsty and pee more often.  fumble was on one, and he peed almost every half hour!  :o
good luck with Barkley!!!! 

He's on prednizone (50 mg 2x daily).  I just spoke with the vet again about 2 hours ago.  They got the results back from the aspiration of the lymph nodes and it's not good news.  It came back as "high grade malignant" which she says means that it's spreading fast.  I asked 'the' question of how long we have.  She said she's guessing anywhere between 30 days to 4 months.

and then SHE started to cry. 

So you know I'm a mess.

She said she can't even think of seeing me without him, and that one of her favourite memories is watching me pull up to her clinic the day I got him from the shelter, with the whole wall of him standing up in the back seat of my little red two door tercel.  I weighed less than he did at that time (we've since grown fatter together...heh e).

Anyhow, I can't even look at him tonight without crying.  I'm wasting his good days by being upset!
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 06:59:12 pm »
Oh!!!  I'm soo sorry!!!  I completely understand!  My heart is breaking with you!!  Barkley loves you and will continue to love you no matter what!!  I'm crying with you just thinking about it!  I'm so, SOO sorry!!! :'( :'( :'( :'(

Virtual hugs and drools!!!

Mari and the Newfs

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 07:03:08 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear this.  We're sending you positive thoughts and prayers.  You and Barkley are in our thoughts.