Author Topic: How did your other dogs handle the loss?  (Read 5302 times)

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
How did your other dogs handle the loss?
« on: March 28, 2006, 01:01:37 pm »
We had Piper and Josh put to sleep this morning.  Even our vet was crying. He'd treated Piper's dad since he was a pup 17 yrs ago, Piper since she was a pup almost 14 yrs ago, Josh from the time he was just a few days old (dew claws) 11 yrs ago. He was bawling away with us. I think that is one reason we like this vet so much. He truly loves the dogs just as much as we do. Eider is quite lost wondering where his best buddy Piper is. He keeps running outside looking and barking.  Jesse just came in shaking like a leaf.  Maybe that is partly why Eider was so upset. I finally got him calmed down a little bit but he's here under my computer desk still shaking a bit but at least laying down and a bit calmer.  Hmmm, he has had some slight epileptic-like fits in the past few years.  Maybe the stress of the loss caused another?  He did have one at the vet last time we were there.  He's calming down more as I type.  Whew!  Typing as it unfolds here. 

Anyway, how did your dogs react to the loss of the others?  How long did it take for them to get back to normal?  When we lost our first male, Piper and Jaeger weren't really back to normal until about a year later when Josh and Jesse came to live with us.  They didn't howl the whole year after Brant died but Josh is so much like Brant that when the boys came, they all started howling again and Piper and Jaeger were happy again to have boys around. 
Daphne

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
Re: How did your other dogs handle the loss?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 01:07:24 pm »
I don't have an answer to your question, although I'm about to find out in the very near future.

I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am for the loss of Piper and Josh.  So sorry.  I just read their paw prints and they both looked like awesome pups. 
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 01:13:42 pm »

I don't have any advice as I've not been through that yet but I wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you and hoping you're doing ok. I'm so so sorry for your loss.
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 01:24:18 pm »

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. It is a hard time for all. We lost our female rotti last May. Puck was looking for her for the first few days. He looked in all her favorite spots for her etc. We gave him extra luv'n too ;)  We felt he was very lonely---hence Farley...lol.  I think animals are like humans and grieve differently. I would wait and see how things are in a weeks time. Then access how the others are doing.

My heart goes out to you and your family at this difficult time.
Michelle

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 01:27:09 pm »
I am sorry for your loss, especially two at once.  :'(

I don't have any personal experience with this, but my old neighbor had to put one of her dogs down and for over a year the other howled anytime he was alone. It was such a sad sound too. My roommate and I would get teary everytime we heard him. Some dogs bond so deeply it's like losing a mate.  :-\

I hope your pups take this well, I'm sending good thoughts to you and your famliy. 
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

GR8DAME

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 01:32:38 pm »
I am sorry to hear of your loss. It never is an easy decision to let our fur babies go.
As far as the other dogs handling the loss it depends on the personality of the dog, I think, and their position in the pack. When we lost Rocky, Rambo (dominant male) was upset, and mopey, but not too bad. We then got Bandit, who remained submissive to Rambo. When Rambo died, Bandit was inconsolible. He wandered and cried, stopped eating, had severe separation anxiety for the first time, until we got Raven. She became the dominent pack leader. We added Merlin without a further loss for about 2 years, then lost Bandit. Merlin and Raven were only affected for about a week, then they adjusted and were fine. Now I have three again, Raven remains dominent, but she is failing. I am dreading the loss of another dominent pack leader.
Stella
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 01:35:43 pm by GR8DAME »

Kiahpyr

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 01:37:21 pm »
I'm so sorry for your loss. I don't know about dogs, but I do know that cats can take a turn for the worse. I had 3 cats growing up and when I left the house they stayed with my mom. One of the cats got cancer and had to be put to sleep. Her sister got so depressed she stopped eating. My mom and the vet tried everything. They just couldn't snap her out of it and two months later they put her to sleep too. It was so sad! They both were 12 years old. Maybe age plays a role. I'm sorry that's probably doesn't help. Hang in there!

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 01:41:32 pm »
My condolences on having to have Piper and Josh PTS. Did you take them to the vets or have it done at home? A lot of people swear by letting the other animals in the household see the dogs afterwards so they know they're dead.

I know when Phoebe died suddenly at home, Tinker sniffed her and she was fine afterwards. Mind you, I don't think she'd have missed her anyway! Despite them being mother and daughter, Tinker's main ambition in life was to be an only dog. Flynn, on the other hand, when Tinker had to be PTS was quite depressed when she didn't come home - I don't think he understood why she went away. A week later he got in my friend's van (we'd took Tinker on her last trip in it). He sniffed the blanket in the crate she'd been in and looked at me with a really sad and confused look on his face.

When my first dog was PTS, the cat who had thought she was her kitten for the last 13 years was inconsolable. Even a year after if you said the dogs name, the cat would run round the house crying and looking for her. Poor cat!

doggylover

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 01:43:56 pm »
I am sooo sorry for your loss.  My prediction is that when you start feeling better they will feel better soon after that.  They are feeling their own grief, and they are probably also upset because they know their humans are in pain. 
I'm just so sorry. 
Ronda :'(

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 01:51:50 pm »
I'm so sorry about your two beloved guys, Piper and Josh going to the bridge.  At least that have each other....

We lost our first Newf, Otis, on St.Patrick's Day two years ago and his best friend and half sister, Lucille, never recovered.  She's lay where he laid and didn't want to move.  I tried taking her on different walks, having adventures with just her and nothing perked her up.  We got Cowboy hoping that another male would pull her out of it....but she ended up dying from ITP (immune mediated thromcyctopeni a...from vaccinations) five months later.  It was an awful, awful year.  We tried everything we could think of...massage, aromatherapy, Cowboy.  I just think her heart was broken. :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 02:36:38 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear about your babies.....I think each dog is different in their reaction to loss.  Our most recent loss was Mackey and Lacey was upset for weeks after....she still goes nuts when she sees other greyhounds.  My dad came home upset after she started crying and trying to go through the window of the truck to go see another greyhound but Kali didn't really mind as much...she immediately claimed Mackey's place on the couch.  Which could be because Kali is more dominant and spent less time around Mackey.  But give extra hugs and kisses to your other babies.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 02:52:07 pm »
I am so sorry to hear you have lost two of your babies :-[. It is bad enough letting one go, but two.... It must have been really difficult for you.

When we lost Bronte last April we thought Molly would pine, they had been best buddies since we brought Bronte home at 7 weeks. We were totally shocked when she didn't seem bothered in the least, in fact she seemed to be really happy about being the only dog in the household :o. I would say she was quiet for the first day or two, but after that she was so bouncy and all she wanted to do was play, not bad for a 9 year old Newf! She sulked for a week when we brought the new puppies home :D
Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 07:20:22 pm »
I very sorry to hear about Josh and Piper  :'(
RIP former BPO

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 07:29:45 pm »
I don't have any experience with this, but I'm sad for both your losses, and for your pups missing their friends. :-[ Hugs to everyone!
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

k2campbell

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 08:14:22 pm »
I don't have any advice for you, but wanted to send my condolences to you regarding Josh & Piper.  I'm so sorry for your loss.  We're here if you need us ;)