Author Topic: Barkley Update  (Read 2304 times)

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
Barkley Update
« on: March 28, 2006, 01:02:09 pm »
I've been pm'ing with people that tell me folks here at BPO don't mind constant going on by Newf owners ... good thing for me!  :D

So we've had another good night and so far today, a good day.  Yesterday we got the news that the lymphoma is severe and likely spreading fast.  The vet (through her tears...how could I not love my vet???) told me to grab onto and enjoy every single good day.

Today has been a good day.  I've managed to swing it so I can work from home today and tomorrow.  So we went down to the boardwalk at lunch time and took a nice, slow walk.  We have to be careful with conserving his energy - he needs it all to fight this nasty disease.  My husband used to take Barkley and Sheba jogging with him all the time - no more jogs for the big guy I'm afraid.

Walking him on the boardwalk is always a bit hard because you get stopped so frequently by folks.  Normally I don't mind but since he's been diagnosed, every time someone tells me how beautiful he is, I want to cry! 

Also, we're going to start slowly switching him from the gastro food that he's on right now over to a low protein diet.  Apparently the folks at MediCal have done some research that shows higher fat/lower sugar diets are more effective at fighting the cancer and not giving it the energy it needs.  I'm all about stealing energy from this cancer, folks. 

Anyhow, I'm going to take this good day today, and enjoy it.  Now excuse me ... I have a Newf to cuddle  ;)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 01:04:02 pm by BarkleysMum »
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Barkley Update
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 01:41:26 pm »

Anyhow, I'm going to take this good day today, and enjoy it.  Now excuse me ... I have a Newf to cuddle  ;)

You certainly have the right attitude. When my Kerry was sick, I almost felt blessed because I knew I had to make the most of every day I had with him and I got a chance to make what time he had left FANTASTIC. We did so much great stuff during his last few months. We went to the beach and on long walks and just enjoyed each other. We always did that, but for some reason those last months were so precious to me. One of the things I took the greatest comfort in was the fact that the day before he went to the bridge we were out in our backyard tossing a ball around and he was running like the wind. Those are memories I will always treasure.

You can only do what you can do as far as treatment goes, but you can do so much in terms of making him happy and it sounds like that's just what you're doing. I think that's great. Just take life day by day and appreciate all the little things.

Here's hoping and praying for MANY more good days for your sweet boy.
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 01:51:37 pm »
Awwww - what a lovely vet you have. I'm glad Barkley has had a good day and I hope he has many more. You enjoy that boy and have some wonderful times together. Take lots and lots of pictures and even better some movie of him if you can. You'll treasure them in the future when you can look back on them and smile.

Give him a big hug for me.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 11:21:34 pm »
Just live your life & let Barkley live his so at the end there are smiles of a life well lived through the tears of  sorrow...I am thinking of you & Barkley. :)

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 11:36:09 pm »
*hugz* for you and Barkley ! We're prayin' for ya !
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"