Author Topic: Just wondering....  (Read 4969 times)

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
Just wondering....
« on: March 28, 2006, 04:45:26 pm »
Are huskies the only breed that "talk"?
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Just wondering....
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 04:59:57 pm »
nope Kali definitely talks back  :D  you tell her no she will bark in your face until you give in and she'll carry on conversations with you too.  Our greyhound Mackey was also a talker.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 05:03:39 pm »
Our newfies have been "conversational" too.  They actually talk back. :P  It is cute when they have a conversation with you though.

Blair

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 05:21:25 pm »
I've heard that Danes can be quite talkative.

But, as usual, Jack is just too lazy to even do that.

Tina

You took the words right out of my mouth Tina LOL

My first Dane was very vocal, he always "rooed" at things, but Grey, totally different story lol

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 05:29:52 pm »
I wish!  Holly "talks" at dinnertime every night.  We call her the Dinner Whale because it sounds like a whale song. ;D  My old  GSD talked all the time.  I had an Eskie (someone stole it  :'() that talked all the time.
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 05:35:05 pm »
I've found that shar-pei are quite talkative with a lot of snorts, purring, yodelling, yips, squeaks and grunts going on. My chow also had a lot to say for himself and always had to have the last word. But Flynn just screams down my ear if he has a pointot get across - I usually know what he means.

My first dog never talked, but she did have a habit of staring blankly at me and yet I'd knowing exactly what she wanted. 

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 05:35:40 pm »
That's what I figured. Almost everyday someone at the dog park asks if Daisy has husky in her cause she's always talking. I think its because she's female.  ;)  ;D
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 06:44:54 pm »
Well, if it means anything...... ..Keiko is 1/2 husky, and I used to joke with people that she was mute b/c she never makes any noise at all.  She obviously didn't get the husky voice gene.

Gunther, on the other hand, will not shut up!!  He is constantly growling (not in a mean way), rooing, huffing, and basically making a big racket.   :P  And here I was told from all the research I did that danes are not that vocal.  yeah, right.

Case in point:  For some reason, the sound isn't matching up with the video, but you get the idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDe_Trf_26I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaZuuySmGec&search=Gunther%20talking%20play

Kiahpyr

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 07:02:05 pm »
Kitana talks all the time. I love it, but sometimes it gets annoying.

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 07:21:10 pm »
My Nakita girl is very talkative, but mostly in complaint ;) - whiny, growly, squeaky noises.  And she'll bark up a storm if she's not getting her way.  Bear, on the other hand, doesn't say much but will put up a loud "woo, woo, woo, woo" when he's excited to go out.  I don't know if this is typical of saints though.
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 08:13:20 pm »
Dozer and Gretchen are both very talkative. They are Coonhounds so they have built in vocals. ;D
Gretchen will sass you back when she wants something and Dozer is a pro at moaning.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 08:14:51 pm »
Oh, the moaning!  I forgot about that.  All of our newfies have been pros at moaning and sighing.   ::)

k2campbell

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 08:16:11 pm »

OMG - Kate talks up a storm, CONSTANTLY!  Never a quiet minute in this house! Except when she's sleeping ;)

OK, it's not that bad.  It's funny actually, just not when I'm trying to talk on the phone ::)

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 10:09:51 pm »

Sadie talks all the time. She grumbles when she doesn't like something. She barks back at me if I talk to her, especially when I tell her no. Then she makes these very odd noises that sound a lot like Chewbacca from Starwars. And I swear on my life, sometimes when I tell her "off" she makes this cross between a sigh and a groan that sounds like she's saying "Humph" and she'll stick her nose in the air and turn her back on me. Such attitude!

My parents have a Shepherd that is ALWAYS talking. And it's weird, you could sit there and he'll talk to you and you'll think you just had a conversation about the morning paper. He is almost human that dog, it's crazy. The Golden doesn't make a sound. I don't know if I even know what his bark sounds like. He doesn't need to talk I guess living with that crazy man ;)
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 07:57:34 am »
Oh yeah I forgot to add that Kali throws a hissy fit if you try and talk on a phone in her vicinity...esp ecially when I'm calling my mom from school, so therefore I have to talk to her too to get her to shut up. ;D
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties