Author Topic: This is my giant problem....  (Read 27038 times)

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
This is my giant problem....
« on: May 28, 2005, 01:15:23 pm »
Well all, I have not spoke about this before because at first I think I was in chock, then I pretended that nothing happened and didnt want to talk about it at all. But I think I am safe now lol....

So this is what happened. april 9th, Hera was out in our backyard, I let her out and about 45 min later I heard noices from there, I went out straight away to see what was going on, and found Max in our backyard. Max is a little mixed breed UN-NEUTERED dog who the owners let run around. I totally freaked to say the least. I got Hera in real fast and then out again to get Max out from my yard. We have about an acre fenced in and of course he ran all the way to the end and it took some time for me to get him out. We have a privacy fence all the way around the back yard, it is about 8 ft tall and the gates are big wooden gates, as tall as the rest of the fence. But we have a gravel driveway that goes in through the gates and thats where he had dug himself under the gates, it was not deep at all, but I could see leftovers from his coat stuck to the underside of the gate. So Hera was in heat on her 10th day, could not have been a worse timing.

When I got in after having gotten Max out, Hera was jumping around on three legs. At first I thought she had just twisted it and it would get better after an hour or so, nope.... it didnt. This was late at night, so the next day we went to the vet. and he said that, she had a if not tore a stretched out knee ligament probably from messing around with Max. And about the other situation, he said that basically I had three options, either spay her (not an option since I probably want to breed her) second I could give her a treatment that would make her loose the pregnancy if there was one, but that could also make her messed up and not able to breed ever, not very likely but a risk, the third option was to wait and see, hope that they never got to mate and tie and that there is no pregnancy, and if there was let her have the puppies and deal with it all then. this is what the vet suggested that we'd do, said if it had been his dog he would have done that and after all she might not be pregnant at all. It is soooo upsetting in a lot of ways, first here we spend thousands of dollars on a privacy fence to keep our dogs safe, and other people let their unnutered male run loose and get in to OUR fenced in back yard, also she is only 16 months now, so way too young to be bred at all, vet thought that she would be okay welping since it is such a small male, but still she is just a baby herself and should NOT have to be pregnant.

Anyway I have dealt with it pretty poorly, you know trying to pretent its not there, and hope that if you only not think about it, it will go away. Well should she be pregnant she is 49 days today. She has since right after her heat been a little swollen in the rear end, her nipples are maybe a tad bit larger, but I cant say she is any wider or has sunk any (at least not yet). Now I think that I am starting to feel fairly confident that she is not pregnant, but still since he is so much smaller than her, maybe she wont show at all, maybe there is only a couple of babies, and a million other maybes......

I hope to God that I heard her as soon as Max got in and they had no time to do anything before I heard them, but on the other hand, she had enough time to hurt her knee, man....... I am going crazy here. I will have to make an appointment for her at the vet next week, because should she be pregnant even though I dont think so, I need to know so I can make sure it is safe for her and the puppies.

And yeeees, I have spoke to the owner and told them that I hold them responsible, and whatever costs there may be should she be pregnant I WILL make sure they pay. Someone said, ohhhh why dont you just hand the puppies over and let them deal with it. But if the worst come to the worst and she has puppies, it is not their fault and they deserve as good care as possible and I wont even give them one, since that would probably just be another one running around risking to get run over or get pregnant or make other dogs pregnant. Sooo as you can see, I am a little uptight about this whole thing.... Thats why I have not even wanted to talk about it before.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Luvmydanes

Re: This is my giant problem....
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 01:28:17 pm »
Marit - I'm so sorry that happened. Geez, people are so irresponsible sometimes when it comes to the care of their pets. I have been having the same kind of debate in my head. Part of me wants to breed Jasmine, but the other part is kind of scared to and heres why. Both her mom and her grandmother died giving birth. That just freaks me out. I don't know what we should do, but am leaning towards having her spayed.
As for Hera, keep us posted! We are all here for you anytime you need to talk!

Kandi

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 01:33:41 pm »
Thanks Kandi..... It has been horrible, been in a place where I didnt even want to admit that it happened. I am sorry to hear about jasmines mom and grandma, it is not an easy call, to decide if you should breed or not. Mind you even if it does happen, most of the times things goes well. But it takes a lot of care and devotion from the owner to make sure they are as safe as they can.

I'll keep you all posted on what happens

Marit

Rufiesmom

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 01:39:38 pm »
I'm sorry you are having such trouble!  Oh the heartache of teenage pregnancy!  If we lived closer I could ultrasound her belly and see if someone is in there.  I wouldn't worry about her knee yet.  If she did pull something she may well get over it given time without having to do anything.  If there are pups in the oven I'll bet they will be cute and wanted.  The babies daddy needs to take responsibility!!  How long is a dog gestation?  You should know soon huh?  Good luck!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005, 01:51:17 pm »
Her knee is all better, it took about two weeks on the couch for her to get over that, and even if I hate it, because if it happens once it is easier for it to happen again. But my main concern is if she is pregnant or not. man..... do I wish we lived closer!! Are you working as midwife or nurse or what?? A dog goes about 63 days, and depending on small or large dog you see it earlier or later, usually you can tell when they are as far gone as Hera (47 days) bur since the male is so small it makes me wonder if it works the same way. I only have experience in breeding pure breeds lol.... So I feel myself being at a loss here. I look at her behind and nipples and am pretty sure there is a slight difference, but it may be from her heat, it also may be the fact that I am looking 45 times a day and my head is playing a trick  on me, you know how that can work......

It also makes me feel real bad, because I know had I bred her or any other dog for that matter I would already have been at the vets, but for some reason I stopped to function and just went into some kind of chock.

Marit

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2005, 01:51:25 pm »
Marit, To be blunt...That sucks out loud!!!!...I would be angry too!...I hope she isn't pregnant!...Please keep us posted!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2005, 01:54:33 pm »
No kidding Gypsy, I had to wait a couple of days before I confronted the owner, I needed to calm down or I would have said things I later would regret, mind you they deserved it. But I told them that God forbid that she is pregnant, or will need a c-sec to welp since she is so young (bullmastiffs are in the risk zoon for c-secs anyway) But I am now starting to hope or dare to hope that she isnt pregnant since she does not show more signs. Please keep allllllll your fingers and toes and paws crossed

Marit

Rufiesmom

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2005, 02:16:42 pm »
Marit don't be so hard on yourself! S**t happens and you can't control everything!  I'm a sonographer... .do ultrasounds on pregnant people.  Hang in there!

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2005, 02:36:14 pm »
Marit,  I feel so terrible that this has happened to you.  You are doing all the right things, you are a very responsible pet owner it is a shame that your neighbors are such terrible ones.  Hang in there and we are all hoping for the best and don't forget that we are all here to support you.

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 02:44:23 pm »
LMAO!!!!!!!  Tina you are killing me here!  I remember Sponge worthy...

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 03:49:55 pm »
Marit
Thats awfull.Hopeful l she didnt get caught but if she did Im sure they will be so cute you wont be able to do anything but love them. Im so glad I have a male. There was a female trying to get in my yard a few weeks ago. I thought I would have to put a sign on her to say that she would be having BIG puppys and maybe they should tie her up from now on.People just dont get it do they?
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2005, 04:00:03 pm »
Thanks girls what would I do without you, and yep..... got me laughing  ;D But I have to say one thing hehe hubby decided that it would be healthy for me to get away from the house for a few hours (hmmmm bet it was me on the puter at 3.30 that made him decide that hehe) so we are going to see baseball, woooohoooo darn it......... I am swedish for gods sake, I am a soccer person, Malin said "ohhh that is that game where they hit that ball with a stick isnt it) so yeah we are retarded nordic people lol..... But I just had to go check on you all before we left and of course there was something that I HAD to ask. What in the world is "todays sponge"???? sorry girls but I grew up in another country  ;D (yeah know condoms hehe) and that is a good idea, I'll put a box outside my gate, stating that every male dog who enters my yard has to wear one. Hmmmm I see a problem with that one though, hubby would probably put one on every time he went in there too hahahahahahaha thats for dragging me away from here and making me sit through a baseball game. But I am soooo curious about what that sponge is.

And should she have puppies, I am picturing something that is not as big as Hera, with half long coat and short little legs with a big body and crocked ears hehe, yea.... you all will have to adopt at least one each hahahahaha now I am cheering myself up too hahahahaha Ill ship them to you

Marit

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2005, 05:59:40 pm »
I guess I didn't realize that Sweden doesn't have the sponge ???  Here is my birds and bees talk for Marit:

The sponge is a spermicide (sp) filled sponge that fits inside the vagina during sex and it's supposed to kill the sperm that enters.  Well, a couple years ago they took them off the market and a lot of women were bummed bc they really like using them.  So, of course, Seinfeld picked up on this and did an episode where Elaine bought all the sponges she could find when they took them off the market.  Then, because she didn't want to waste them on just anybody, she had to decide if the guy was "Sponge worthy" or not.  It was a lot funnier than I could explain here!  I hope it helps though ;D

Natalie

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2005, 01:03:17 am »
Ahhhhhh.......  ;D okay we have them too, but we dont call them the sponge hehe, I like Seinfeld a lot, but dont think I saw that episode lol.... It is pretty sad when you need the birds and bee talk as a 41 year old haha. But thanks now I know what sponge worthy is lol.....

Marit

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2005, 02:11:02 pm »
Okay since I was out with cam. to take pics of puppydoggy I thought Id show you our fence and where little max dug his way in. hmmmm is my life a bit sad??? When I start taking pics of a fence and post it online I would say I may be in need of help hehe.

Marit