Author Topic: Am I fooling myself?  (Read 3019 times)

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
Am I fooling myself?
« on: March 30, 2006, 10:26:15 am »
I have to wonder if I'm just fooling myself here because I don't want to admit and accept that Barkley is sick and on his way out.  He's had good days and nights - is reacting well to the prednozone.  The vet put him back on the med to stop diarrhea (can't think of the name and I"m actually AT work today so can't run in to check the bottle!).  He's eating like a horse, lapping up the love and attention and medi-cal treats.  He's only had one small accident in the house and that was yesterday.

Last night he didn't want to come sleep upstairs with us as usual.  Instead he wanted to go in the basement and he spent the night not on his blanket but on the cool basement floor.

My MIL is at the house today.  She hasn't seen him since the diagnosis.  I just called and she said he didn't want to go outside - that he just wanted to lay on the basement floor (he was full of p&v this morning when I let him out) - and then she said "oh my, he's a sick dog.  He just looks at me with those big eyes and you know he's sick".

Am I just seeing the good and ignoring the bad?  Oh crud...now the tears are starting at work.  Not good. Not good.
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Am I fooling myself?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 10:35:23 am »
Nope....I think he's responding to your love and affection.  When he's away from you, he can let down a bit.  It's all okay.  It's part of the process.  Let him guide you to what he wants.

Hugs!!!

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 10:53:57 am »
Thanks guys....it's so nice to be able to come here and obsess - especially while at work when I'm surrounded by people who think "he's just a dog".  JUST a dog? ha.

I hadn't thought about the fact that he might be taking some down time ... good point. 
Sandy

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 11:01:53 am »
Thanks guys....it's so nice to be able to come here and obsess - especially while at work when I'm surrounded by people who think "he's just a dog".  JUST a dog? ha.

I hadn't thought about the fact that he might be taking some down time ... good point. 

I hate those people! I want to punch them! Grrrr...Just a dog, right!

As far as Mr. Barkley, I agree with what the others have said. Go with your gut not what your MIL said. You know him best because you love him best. Believe me, he will let you know when he is ready. He also just started some new treatments so he may just be adjusting to that. You know your dog better than anyone, you will know when it is time. I can't explain how, you just do. Keep focusing on those good days until he lets you know it's time.

Big hugs to you! ((())) I hate breaking down at work too :)
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 11:03:28 am »
He's not JUST a dog... he's YOUR dog. It's like saying to somebody who's child is terminally ill that it's just a kid. It's wrong and insensitive.  >:(

My first dog Dingo had the same thing as Barkley and she seemed to get hot too and would seek out a nice cool spot. I wonder if it's part of the disease or one of the medications? My mum slept with her every night with the fan on her to keep Dingo cool.  :)

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 04:06:02 pm »
So I just got home and he's fine.  When I called my husband to tell him what MIL had said about how sick he looked, he reminded me that she always think he looks sad and sick.  He's one of those big lazy, droopy eyed Newfs ... and I forgot that she always felt that way!

anyhow, we're off for our walk now ... I think he's all rested up!
Sandy

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 04:11:44 pm »
I'm on prednisone now and I'm constantly too hot.  DH keeps saying the house is cold and I want to turn down the heat.  If he's still ready for his walk, he's still doing ok.  Just keep watch for when he doesn't enjoy it any longer. 
Daphne

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 04:16:47 pm »
I'm so glad that you and Barkley get to go for a walk.  He'll love it.  I'm sorry that your MIL misinterpreted the classic newfie droopy face.  People sometimes ask is Sasha and Bella are sad.  Nope--they're just droopy.  We're thinking of you and Barkley and sending good thoughts your way.