Author Topic: Am I being paranoid?  (Read 7282 times)

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Am I being paranoid?
« on: March 30, 2006, 12:37:48 pm »
I just went home to walk Sadie at lunch and she seemed a little funny to me. She was fast asleep when I walked in and I had to wake her up to go out. Normally I can hear her barking already when I open the door. Then she seemed really sluggish going outside and she went but then she kind of waddled over to me and laid down on the ground. When I fed her, she kept stopping in the middle to sit down. She just seems odd, not herself at all. I called the vet and she said it sounds like she's having a growth spurt and some growing pains to go along with it but if I want to bring her in, she'll see her tonight. Should I take her in just to be safe or do you think I'm being ridiculous? She's due for a growth spurt and I know they can be uncomfortable and out of whack when that's happening but she doesn't seem right to me.  :-\ Sadie is normally a bit of a spaz and I don't know if it's just me being overly cautious or if I should be really concerned? Any thoughts?
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Am I being paranoid?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 12:48:31 pm »
I am biased but you do know your dog best.

If you are worried then take her to the vets, better safe than sorry i say...... much to the detriment of my bank balance.

Offline raygoza6n510

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Copa & adidas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 12:57:33 pm »
Take a quick look around the house and make sure she did not get into anything. Make sure all of her toys are intact. If everything is ok it would not hurt to be on the safe side and take her in to see her Vet.
Monica
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 12:58:26 pm »
Actually as I was reading your post..before I got to what the vet said I was thinking the same thing about growing spurt.  Farley had a few like that were he was not his outgoing crazy personality. The next day or two he was back to his old tricks. LIke Dufus posted you know your dog best. So if you are thinking it is more than that make an appt with your vet... ;)

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 01:07:22 pm »
I'm a woos when it comes to my babies.  If I think something is amiss, I call the vet.  I think there has only been twice in 20 yrs when it truly was nothing at all and one of those I saved for when we were there already anyway.  In the other instance, the dog barfed on the way to the vet and felt better after.  Better to deal with it early than wait until it is a big problem.  That said, if they can get you in that quickly and it seems minor, give it a day and see if she perks up tomorrow.  If you're inclined to take her temp, that might be a good way to see if there is something going on that way. 
Daphne

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 01:25:06 pm »
I, too, take Barkley in particular in for any minor out of sync thing.  It makes me feel better, and most of the time, made him better too.  I'm of the 'better safe than sorry' crew.
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline Boyle

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 01:33:15 pm »
Anytime Nola (aka the Money Pit) looked at me funny, he went to the Vet.  I am for heading to the vet's office even if it a false alarm.  Because of this, the vet now has a nice new BMW.

Nola spent the first 6 months of his life either sleeping or being a terror.  From what I have read, most large breeds sleep a majority of the time.  How old is Sadie?  If you look at Sadie's front knees, do they look really large compared to the leg bones?  That is a tell-tale sign that a growth spurt is coming. 

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 01:44:28 pm »

How old is Sadie?  If you look at Sadie's front knees, do they look really large compared to the leg bones?  That is a tell-tale sign that a growth spurt is coming. 

Sadie is 4 and a half months a she has thus far been on the tiny side growing very very slowly. The vet told me to expect a growth spurt soon the last time we were there, she said something about big bones. Not sure if that's what you mean? I think I'll take her in tonight just to be on the safe side. She was just there the other night for her ears, they're going to think I'm nuts, but I'd rather know for sure that nothing is wrong. I did look around when I was home and she didn't seem to have gotten into anything. She is crated while I work so I know she didn't get into anything in the house. She just wasn't acting like herself at all. She's normally all over the place when I come home for lunch and today she was just really tired and out of it  :-\
Dear Lord,

Shawna
Sadie the Newf

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 01:47:04 pm »
Bella and Sasha each had days like this.  I think it is the growth.  Usually, after such a day (especially with Sasha) they were noticeably bigger!  Sometimes only one part (like the front legs or the back legs).  ::)  They get so uncomfortable.  :P I usually don't take them to the vet until the second day.  That said, however, if it makes you feel better, I say take her in just to be sure.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 02:02:53 pm »
I wouldn't freek out too much just yet.  Lady and Grace are like that when you get them up any time that's not their schedule up time. 
They drag butt and look at me like MOMMMMMMMMYYYY YYY!
Watch for a few days and see if it changes.

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 02:48:43 pm »
Look at her joints Kali's would swell before any growth spurt.  Here's some not so great pics of her before a growth spurt (The only ones of her where you can see it) notice how big her front ankles are...that's how we'd always tell with her.  She'd get out of sorts with major growth spurts too so I'd wait a day unless there is something she could have gotten into.  She'd not eat and be sore on the really big ones.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 06:03:59 am »
i'm still a little bit of a nervous ninny!  fumble's hygroma was the last time i went over to the vet..  but every other friday i get paid and think how much money of it will be dedicated to vet bills.  but don't worry about hte sleeping! crazy goofy fumble would sleep ALL day long! and i would try to wake him up and get him going for fear that he woudln't sleep through the night! but nope, he would sometimes sleep for about 18 hours a day on those days..  when we brought him home my breeder said that puppies are like babies.. eat, sleep, poop!  lol! hopefully sadie is back to her cute little self today!  :P
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 09:29:53 am »
Poor Sadie!  The growth spurts are awful.  When Sasha had a big one, I would give her little "doggie massages."  I don't know if they really helped, but she liked the attention and it made me feel like I was helping.  Hopefully Sadie will be feeling great today! :)

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2006, 09:41:50 am »
Poor Sadie!  The growth spurts are awful.  When Sasha had a big one, I would give her little "doggie massages."  I don't know if they really helped, but she liked the attention and it made me feel like I was helping.  Hopefully Sadie will be feeling great today! :)

That's what the vet suggested too. We spent a few hours doing massages last night. She just looked so pathetic, I feel horrible for her. She had more energy this morning but she still pooped out really fast. She doesn't want to go for walks, she just wants to do her thing and come back in, which is SO not Sadie. And she definitely looked bigger this morning. She looked longer too. Someone did some serious growing yesterday. I just hope she's feeling better for our lunchtime stroll today. I look forward to our walks together  :-\
Dear Lord,

Shawna
Sadie the Newf

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006, 09:59:23 am »
Shawna,
I am glad it was nothing…still scary though I am sure.
Just curious…I noticed you mentioned you “went home to walk Sadie” and am wondering if you too are a “working Newf Mom?” LOL

I am and although I get to come home and spend an hour with her during lunches…I am OVERWHELMED with guilt!  :(
I am feeling most guilty about keeping her crated during this time...especia lly with all of the "growth spurt" talk. 
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers