Author Topic: Is anyone Newf's On Iams??  (Read 10333 times)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone Newf's On Iams??
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2006, 07:53:45 am »
This is a great thread! (for Newfs or not!  ;D)

We have Teddy on Iams large breed puppy food but he's not all that fussy on it.  I leave about a cup of food in his dish at all times and he rarely ever finishes it at a sitting.  I may see if the Canidea is available locally.  Thanks!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2006, 09:01:26 am »
Ok...just got off the phone and found out that Canidia is available at a local “Petsafe Village” which is ironically less then three miles from my house!  ;D

I am going to run there at lunch and pick up ther 20 pound bag and start out on that. 
Whew...~~wiping brow~~  I hope this is it!  :D
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2006, 01:01:44 pm »
we (well Day-z mainly) are on Iams large breed puppy food, and after seeing the news on them i am thinking of moving Day-z off it.  But, seeing as she has only just got back from the vets with upset tummy, i think i may wait a while.  I planned to change her food at 2 years anyway and so we will at the very latest will go on to something kinder to the world then.  When she has her blood tested next week, if her creatinine is still not right she might be going on to kidney food anyway.

J & D

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2006, 05:42:51 pm »
I am affraid I wouldn't touch Iams or Eukanuba with a barge pole!!! Apart from the animal testing side of things the ingredients in the food are not the best!! Decent food does not have grain and the such at the beginning.

My pups were on a large breed puppy, which is supposed to stop them putting on too much weight too soon... Yet Kit developed OCD, elbow dysplacia and had pano... May be it is just him ::)

The breeder I had my first two Newfies off puts her pups onto normal adult food at 3-4 months old to stop them growing too quickly. And that is what I will be doing wiht mine in future :)

I am beginning to think the best diet for any dog is the BARF one.

Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2006, 05:59:14 pm »
I'm afraid I must jump in and say something about the PETA "investigation" if you can call it that.

I would take everything they say with a grain of salt.  I did alot of research on PETA and that particular study for another website, and found alot of their "facts" lacking.  Their "videos" shady and touched up/edited, and overall bad info given.

I actually met someone who worked at Iams after PETA's "investigation" (which was a number of years ago, btw) and who adopted one of the dogs used in the studies.  She said it was never as bad as they say and dogs are socialized, trained, and kept in very nice conditions.  I won't go into exactly all the info, but just remember that you really shouldn't take PETA at their word.

I do have Gunther on Iams, and when I can afford it, I am hoping to switch over to a higher quality food that isn't going to break my bank.  Right now I am needing to switch Keiko's food (again) to hopefully something slightly cheaper, but still good quality so that I can move Gunther to a more expensive, higher quality food.  One that is still available at major realators, I might add, as we will be living in the boonies and I'm not sure what other options we will have.

k2campbell

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2006, 06:47:47 pm »
Ok...just got off the phone and found out that Canidia is available at a local “Petsafe Village” which is ironically less then three miles from my house!  ;D

Excellent Beth!  I hope it works out for your pup, Kate just loves it! ;)

mjjensen

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2006, 08:42:00 pm »
I am affraid I wouldn't touch Iams or Eukanuba with a barge pole!!! Apart from the animal testing side of things the ingredients in the food are not the best!! Decent food does not have grain and the such at the beginning.

My pups were on a large breed puppy, which is supposed to stop them putting on too much weight too soon... Yet Kit developed OCD, elbow dysplacia and had pano... May be it is just him ::)

The breeder I had my first two Newfies off puts her pups onto normal adult food at 3-4 months old to stop them growing too quickly. And that is what I will be doing wiht mine in future :)

I have to agree that BARF is the way to go. My three have been on it since I've had them. As long as you do your research and make sure your dogs are getting everything they need, I don't think there is anything that is better for them. It's certainly more work than pouring kibble in a bowl but I think the end result is worth the effort.

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2006, 10:02:51 pm »

Can I ask a dumb question and ask what the BARF diet is?
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2006, 10:05:13 pm »
BARF is a raw diet...with meats and veggies I think...you can make it yourself or get it already made.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties