Author Topic: Any suggestions on companion dog?  (Read 5839 times)

Offline Jerry

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Any suggestions on companion dog?
« on: May 28, 2005, 06:06:03 pm »
We currently have Josh, a 1 year old Saint Bernard.  We are considering getting a second dog but are not sure what would be a good companion to Josh.  Obviously another Saint would be a good choice but we would like to consider other breeds too.  My primary concern is that Josh is so big (150 lbs. and still growing) that he could easily injure a smaller dog just playing.  Josh is very friendly and loves to play with other dogs.

Does anyone have experience with multiple dogs where one is a giant breed? Am I being too conservative here?

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
Re: Any suggestions on companion dog?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 06:42:51 pm »
You are right about smaller dogs. We had 2 sheltie mixes and then got Finn, an Irish Wolfhound. He wants to play with them sooo badly but can't cause he's too big and it scares them. I would love to get another big dog to be friends with him.
I am a HUGE fan of IW's. They are calm, smart, affectionate and cute as heck! He is quite mellow (even at 7 months old) but when we go out he loves to play ball and play with other dogs when he can. He can be walked off leash cause he stays close (though we don't do that in the city). He's just the perfect dog. If he sheds at all I don't notice it and no drooling (not that drooling is bad!) though he does leave drops of water on the floor as he walks away from his water dish! He's no a barker, but he will bark if someone comes up to the door. I just can't say enough about IW's. They really are a very sweet dog, smart and loyal.
Give them a look over and see what you think!

Vicki

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 06:53:39 pm »
vicky You haave to go post your pic on the "what we look like?"post. Were have you been??
Karen
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 07:01:27 pm »
Jerry
I have a 1 year old St as well. My father in law just got a puppy and my brother in law has a new puppy too. Judge is really quite gentle with them. He has never hurt them. They hurt him!! They are both small breeds. I think your best bet would be another St. or another large breed. Then you wouldnt have to worry about Josh hurting a small puppy.
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

nickerbokker

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005, 07:15:54 pm »
well, this is how it was done in my house..

i had a 90lb golden retriever, and i wanted to get him a girlfriend to hang out with while i wasn't home (girl because they dont step in their own poop, and lick their mouths before they walk from the water bowl)......plus, i have always wanted a "beethoven, or a hooch", either one would have been fine.  what i ended up with was a male saint.....and he steps in his poop and he drags the water bowl all over spilling it all over the house......BUT, what cody got was a cool little brother.  or little for a while.  i think it would be unfair to get a huge dog a large dog, because the large dog would ALWAYS get beat up on.....but since my large dog was the huge dog for the first six months, he got to beat the crap out of angus.  however, now the tables are turned and angus is starting to hold his own weight.

long pointless story short.....get whatever dog you want for your life and your dogs life....and they will both adapt.  my kids are different sizes, but have the same love for eachother.

lol, i find my above story funny just cuz why did i write it?  or this sentence?

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2005, 08:44:03 pm »
Nicker, your pointlessness cracks me up!!!!!  LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

nickerbokker

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2005, 08:45:58 pm »
LOL, i do what i can

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2005, 04:54:59 am »
how about
go to the pound
see what is there,,,,,,
a large x would be nice for a companion

since we live in a multi house dog house,,,,,,,
if i was looking for just a friend for my best friend
i'd save a life!!!
i have all pure breed top ch. dogs  but arnt all dogs champions?
especially the poor unwanted ones

TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Offline bigdoglover

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2005, 06:35:17 am »
i don't have a giant breed dog but have my 92 pound lab girl-we lost 2 months ago our 12 yr. old sharpei girl and now are looking at other breeds to add to the household mix. i am probably biased but i think labs fit in almost anywhere-they are generally very friendly with both people and other animals and get along very well with everyone. they are pretty terrible as pups until about age 2 but what breed isn't? they love life and are so happy-i think you could put a lab in your home and everyone would be very happy!

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2005, 08:43:22 am »
There is a 130lb difference between the size of my two dogs. And wouldn't you know it, my 50lb dog RULES the roost. We always joke that Abbey is the brains and Hutch is the brawn. Friends of mine have a 110lb shepherd and a tiny little pug, they get along so well. The shepherd is the guardian of that little pug, no other dog would even think of tormenting the pug if his big sister was around!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline Magoosmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2005, 08:47:04 am »
I agree about rescueing a dog. I have 4 dogs......3 are mixes and one rescued Saint. The Saint is "the baby" at only 10 1/2 months old. Are dogs range from 50 pounds to 115 (and growing). It is funny because they are "stackable" dogs. They all fit under each other....if that makes sense. Anyways...back to the point. Any dog can be a good companion for your Saint. It just depends who both you and your current dog click with. Let your dog pick out the dog once you have it narrowed down. I will never go back to having just one dog because, for me, I love seeing the bond grow between the dogs and the play. They are never lonely. That is my 2 cents!

Offline TwoNewfies

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2005, 09:01:21 am »
Hi Jerry!  We have a an 11 month old Newf and had wanted to get a second dog as well.  Bella does so well with other animals that we knew she would do well with a companion.  Initially, we planned on rescuing an older dog. We even went to the humane society and met some potential new members to our family.  We ended up deciding on getting another Newf because we like their temperment and demeanor so much.  We were able to find a good breeder a few hours away and brought Rocco home 2 weeks ago.  Bella is now about 95 pounds and he now weighs 35. We watch them very carefully as Bella likes to play a little rough at times, to ensure that Bella doesnt hurt him due to her size. So far they are getting along really well, and she does well with his small size but at times she forgets and starts rough housing with him. So my only recommendation is that you really need to supervise the two, and hopefully Bella wll soon learn more of her boundaries with him.  Best of luck  to you! 
Gina

All dogs are pets.  Newfoundlands are family!

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2005, 09:52:39 am »
Karen,
I have been around but not able to sit down long enough to post!  My son is is Cub Scouts and we've had a lot to do with that, plus end of school year stuff, husband, 3 daogs, 2 cats.... seems like there's always someone needin something! But honestly I love it!  Yesterday we took our son and Finn to the park to play ball and fun was had by all. It made us smile to watch Finn running around through the really wet grass, just to be running around. He was so happy. We humans played ball, and then Finn stole the ball and we played "chase the dog and get the ball back"! True, he would have brought the ball to me if I had asked him to, but chase the dog was too fun to pass up!  So at 7:30 we decided to come home and Finn was wet and muddy and tired and very happy. I let him climb onto the couch to rest without even cleaning him off.
I need to find out which beaches around here allow dogs so we can take him swimming. My husband is so proud of him. Our 2 girls can't be let off leash ever cause they run. It limits a bit what we can do with them. But playing in the park and seeing Finn sitting on a flower covered hill, sleeping, and us 20ft away knowing that we didn't need to worry was great. He makes us proud. My husband keeps saying "Honey, we have a REAL dog!" LOL

Vicki

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2005, 11:00:23 am »
I have to agree with everyone when they say that the little ones rule the roost.  My 90lb Doberman is cared to death of a 12 lb. puppy, go figure.  I would say get whichever breed you want and definitley if you have the chance please adopt one from a shelter, you could be saving a life.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2005, 11:25:14 am »
When I had danes I also had min. schnauzers they were perfect companions to the giant danes, never any problem when they played. The breeder where we got Galahad also breeds Cairn Terriers and says that they are also getting along just great. So I think you can pretty much choose whatever breed youd want, it is just a matter of them getting used to oneanother. And I soooo agree with the rescue opinion here. Not to be a party poop, but in this country alone about 5 million dogs and cats are put to sleep every year, because the shelters have no room for them, THAT is terrible. So if you have no specific breed you want, there is a dog in a shelter who is going to be a very very happy dog. Please let us know what you decide and post a pic or two  :D

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog