Author Topic: stalking approach posture  (Read 4524 times)

Offline maggieb

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
stalking approach posture
« on: March 30, 2006, 03:25:47 pm »
My Newf mix has started this new behavior that I'm curious about.  When approaching another dog from a distance, he crouches down in a "stalking" like posture similar to a Mountain lion or other big cat. Once he gets close, he bounces up playfully in effort to get the other dog to chase him. So it doesn't appear to be an aggressive behavior..  Should I be concerned that it could become aggressive (he's 16 months old)?  Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior in your Newf's.  I had never thought of them as "hunters" and that is what it looks like.
Maggie

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: stalking approach posture
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 03:44:54 pm »
Teddy stalks one of our cats.  He looks just like a baby lion when he does!

I can't wait to hear some more knowledgable answers to your post!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 03:55:24 pm »
Kali tends to go more for the bull in a china shop approach, but I do know a Saint that'll throw herself to the ground and creep up to other dogs and people in submissiveness .  Plus she does it when she's playing too.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

GR8DAME

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 05:00:19 pm »
Merlin will lay down to let Strider chew on him and mouth wrestle, but that is all. Stalking they do in the stiff-legged, tail up-head down mode. We did teach a doberman to creep though.(Crawl on his belly across the floor or yard.)It scared the crap out of the neighbors at night when he would creep along the fence til he got right next to them then burst up barking.
Stella

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 12:46:12 pm »
Rocco who is a newf mix will belly crawl/stalk Maia when they are playing. I suppose he thinks she can't seem him until he pops up.

It doesn't not sound aggressive, aggressive would be tail straight up, teeth showing, fur up, and you would see it in his eyes.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 01:26:45 pm »
I could be totally wrong about this...but it sounds like this is the "stalking" posture or game equated with the “invitational bowing” where they try and encourage play?  Again, its hard to say without seeing...but it sure sounds fun!  I would say you would certainly see something different if it were intended to be aggresive.
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 02:18:34 pm »
My Newf mix has started this new behavior that I'm curious about.  When approaching another dog from a distance, he crouches down in a "stalking" like posture similar to a Mountain lion or other big cat. Once he gets close, he bounces up playfully in effort to get the other dog to chase him. So it doesn't appear to be an aggressive behavior..  Should I be concerned that it could become aggressive (he's 16 months old)?  Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior in your Newf's.  I had never thought of them as "hunters" and that is what it looks like.

That is exactly what Harley does - it doesn't matter the size of the dog or anything - he sees a dog coming and he is down like a mountain lion.  He doesn't do it for people just dogs??

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 03:03:04 pm »
I know this as submissive behavior, as that's frequently how other dogs approach mine (who must be dominant).  :-[  I think it's a good thing for you and your newf, though.   :) Jennifer
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

Offline maggieb

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 06:22:15 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  Yeah, he just does it with other dogs, not people.  He is generally a more submissive dog but he's still pretty young..
Maggie

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 08:40:19 pm »
Riley will kind of lean back like a bull ready to take of. He even shifts his back feet a bit. Seriously-the pup looks like a 100 pound bronco. He does it when he's going to run and crash into Sadie.