Author Topic: Double dews  (Read 10186 times)

cricket36580

Double dews
« on: April 01, 2006, 07:08:31 am »
On another board, the topic of pyr's double dew claws came up and someone posted this link.  It has a really cool x-ray of a pyr's double dew claws and talks about the purpose of them.  Just thought I would share.  http://pyrmont.tripod.com/dewclaws.html

Kiahpyr

Re: Double dews
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 07:35:50 am »
Thank you for posting this. I know it's a debate with some to get them removed. The x-ray is proof enough not too.

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 08:03:03 am »
Proof to me that it ought not to be done to other breeds of pups either!  I know it is popular in a lot of breeds but having lived with working hunting dogs with their dew claws, I firmly believe in letting them keep them!  Yes, they can tear occasionally but so do our own fingernails.  I don't see any of us wanting them to go away.  My dogs who have had the dew claws use them all the time for holding things.  Ok, off my soap box ;)
Daphne

Offline Halo05

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 02:10:53 pm »
Penny has 3 dews on one foot and 2 on the other. :o

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 06:55:15 pm »
That is an interesting and informative article and I loved the x-ray.

As for removal of dewclaws, I don't see it necessary unless the toe sticks off/protrudes from the foot, as it does in some dogs.  Ripping a dewclaw is different than ripping a fingernail.  Ripping a dewclaw would be like ripping off a finger, not just the nail.  In which case, I think it is safter to remove.

Plus, in hunting breeds, it is safer to remove them where they won't get caught in brush and ripped or torn off.  Both of my dogs have theirs, but they also don't have rear dewclaws, just front ones.  They do use them as a thumb like appendage.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 08:53:08 pm »
Thanks for the link, good site.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 11:45:29 pm »
God I hate this :'( but I have to chime in even though I hate myself for what I did...The night before Samson was to be neutered he tore one of his rear dew claws...There was alot of blood...I called the vet & she said if I could get the bleeding stopped "we" would just remove the dew claws when he was fixed in the morning"...Well, he had caught his dew claws on the latches on the van seat & on his crate before so I thought it was the right thing to do...Remember, Samson was my 1st dog ever...I MADE THE BIGGEST MISTAKE I EVER MADE WITH MY DOGS BAR NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!...When he came home after his neuter his feet look HORRENDOUS!!!...He had 8 stitches in each foot...My brother called him "Frankendog" :'( :'( :'( It was truely heartbreaking. ..I regreted what I did INSTANTLY!!!!!!!!!!...Then I found that dewclaws in Pyrs were more firmly attached than in some other breeds & 3 days after pups are born the central nervous system is developed enough that they feel so much pain with dewclaw removal...Pipp in & Rosie will keep every dewclaw God intended them to have...There is literally not ONE day that goes by that I don't regret what I did to my Sammy Whammy!!!...In a panic & while blindly following my vet's advise >:( I let my baby be MAIMED!...I know that sounds harse but it was all of that & nothing less. :'( :'( :'(

cricket36580

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 06:46:38 am »
Don't beat yourself up Gypsy.  He's recovered and is functioning just fine without them.  And I'm sure he recovered very quickly.  You didn't know.  And if there is one WONDERFUL thing about dogs is their ability to love and forgive.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 06:55:47 am »
Gypsy, you only did what you the vet told you was best for Sammy.  You love your fur-babies as much as anyone I have ever known.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 07:00:51 am »
Gypsy, you only did what you the vet told you was best for Sammy.  You love your fur-babies as much as anyone I have ever known.
Thanks Cricket & Lisa for you kind & comforting words...The reason that I share my shame & Sam's horrible experience though is to keep others from making the mistake I made...It is good to have friends like you guys!...Ty again! :)

cricket36580

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 07:40:45 am »
{{{hugs}}}

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 09:16:11 am »
Thanks for the x-ray pic. I found that very cool to see.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 09:46:24 am »
I researched this thread on April's advice because Derby has double dew claws on both rear feet. Mary, Tracy's mom, was going to have them removed before I picked him up in July, but after talking to April I told her to hold off on that.

What do you think? I'm not sure where in his lineage he picked these up. I found a site that listed breeds prone to double dew claws and even those that required dbl dews for show and he doesn't look anything any of them.

I guess I'll have to have her check if they are "floppy" or seem to be attached by a bone. What do you all think?

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 10:18:10 am »
Einstein has the dew claws -- not double, but they're there.  Unless you're planning to send Derby out to work, I don't think they'll be a problem.  I've heard that working dogs sometimes get hung up on wires, fences, etc.
Sarah

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 10:57:57 am »
Derby? Work? HAHAHAHAHAAHA! Unless chasing squirrels or lying like a lump on the couch is considered work!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain