Author Topic: need advice on kennel cough and other things--Update!  (Read 3056 times)

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
need advice on kennel cough and other things--Update!
« on: April 04, 2006, 06:42:07 pm »
I just got off the phone with a friend who two weeks ago got a 7 month old retriever mix from the local pound. Unfortunately my friend is the sort that only sees cuteness and not the time and work that goes into raising a puppy. She is now feeling very inconvenienced(grrr) and wants to take her back to the pound. This will be the third time in a month that it's returned...and my guess is the last. I told her to bring the puppy to my house tonight so I can meet her. I want to see whether the dog is really a lost cause or just needs special TLC. So far all my friend's complaints with the dog seem like normal puppy behavior ie..chewing up shoes, crates, toys etc. She sounds just like my sweet Daisy! She's also shocked at how much money she has to spend. AAAAAGH! I'm trying not to get upset with her but I feel like she's being unreasonable.

Okay so my point is...if the puppy comes over with kennel cough are my dogs going to get sick? I can't remember if they got immunized for this(they've had all their shots). I want her to meet them and see if she gets along well.

Secondly...doe s anyone have advice on how I can get this dog a second chance? I am off the next two days and told her I'd keep her to see if I can work with her. She could be socialized a little more, and who knows, we may just adopt her ourselves. I DO NOT want this dog going back to the pound!

ANY advice would be strongly appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 12:57:19 pm by teamshredit »
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: need advice on kennel cough and other things
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 06:52:40 pm »
Let me rephrase part of it. Any advice on how I can convince my friend to give her a second chance. I tell her its normal puppy behavior and it goes in one ear an d out the other. I think this may be a lost cause.  :(

Looks like I'm getting another dog.  ;D
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix

cricket36580

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 04:45:47 am »
As she walks in the door, smack her in the back of the head with something hard...as she hits the floor, take puppy and run like the dickens...

Or...

Tie her up in the closet and feed her only Pedigree dogfood until she agrees to give you the puppy....

Or...

Tell her she's a moronic neanderthal who shouldn't even own a houseplant, much less a living breathing thing and snatch the puppy away.

That's all I can come up with right now...

Oh, and for the kennel cough.  If your dogs have been boarded somewhere, then they've been immunized.  Otherwise it's highly unlikely that they've had the vaccination.  If the puppy has bordetella and your dogs have not had the vaccine, then yes they can catch it...It's an airborne virus and will travel tremendous distances with one sneeze.  Perhaps only allow the puppy in the laundry room?  or kitchen?  Somewhere it's easy to disinfect.  Fortunately, bordetella is a very weak virus and common house cleaners will get rid of it.

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 07:22:15 am »
I think you'll waste your breath trying to talk sense into a person like that.  But good luck with the puppy if you get it. 
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 09:19:32 am »
Thanks all....I got a text this morning that she was taking the puppy back first thing today.  :'(

I'm really upset about this whole thing, but it's probobly good that she didn't come. My dogs have never been boarded and may have gotten sick.
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 09:46:20 am »
Just an FYI, the bordatella vaccine is only good for a few months and covers less than half the strains out there.  Even if your dogs had been vaccinated at some point, chances are they would have gotten it again. 

There is also a high instance of dogs contracting kennel cough from the vaccine itself.

I don't ever vaccinate my dogs for this, if your dog is otherwise healthy he/she should recover from it just fine on their own.  Like we would recover from a cold.
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: need advice on kennel cough and other things--UPDATE
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 12:34:34 pm »
This will actually have to be posted under "behavior".
My friend got ahold of me yesterday and asked if I could come get her dog...so I did, but thought it would be best to take her to a well known local rescue. Long story short the rescue wouldn't take her so we took her back to our house. She is a little hyper, but other than that a cutie! I was told she can't be around other dogs, but she got along so well with my two, that it seemed they had always known each other. I called my friend and told her she was an awesome puppy and to come get her dog...there is nothing wrong with her and I'd help her with training and things.
Well, she came over and my dogs greeted her. All of a sudden she snapped into a rage and attacked everyone!!!  ???
After that anyone who came into contact with my friend she tried biting...this sweet loveable dog went crazy!
My friend isn't very assertive when it comes to disciplining her, but I'm not sure if that's the issue. I have never seen jealousy like that before. The dog is only seven months old...is this behavior correctible?
I feel badly because I judged my friend when she was trying to tell me there was someting wrong with her(little BPO confession) and she was right.
Evidentally the dog attacked her mom when she gave her(my friend) a hug. Are dogs born with these characteristic s, or are they developed? she's retriever mix...may be chesapeke bay, or golden....and maybe pit and some kind of cattle dog(she's a runner).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 01:27:22 pm by teamshredit »
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix