Author Topic: advice with small furry animals  (Read 7239 times)

Offline redbreast

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
advice with small furry animals
« on: April 05, 2006, 08:36:19 am »
I'm thinking about getting my 8 year old son a small animal (rodent?).  He is a very independent, often bucky and hard headed little boy.  He has a hard time showing affection to people but he is awesome and gentle with animals.  I'm thinking a pet of his own would be very good for him.  Now I know I will be ultimatly responsible for it but I want something he can care for.  Any ideas?  I originally thought of a reptile the threat of somanella scares me to death.   Keep in mind we have 2 dogs and 3 cats.

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: advice with small furry animals
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 12:11:10 pm »
I'd suggest a chinchilla but if you go that route get one from a breeder that handraises them and get it young so it'll bond.  They can be awesome pets with socialization and I highly recommend them.  Their coats are really soft too.  The two I was holding were fairly young and the one in the ball was our first baby from my brother's genetic project, he loved it and was safe from the dogs in it.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 12:20:07 pm »
i have 2 rabbits, and they are awesome!  8) you can house train them (i didn't bother with one, but one is potty trained), they are really affectionate, and if you squeeze them too tight, it's not a big deal (very good for kids  ;)) i recomend getting one from a breeder, NEVER a pet store. shelters ocasionally come across one, but breeders are everywhere. both of mine are Dutch, but i have owned a lop, a butterfly mix, and mutt bunnies. so far, dutch are my favorite. ads in news papers can sometimes leed to reputable breeders, but i would search online. hope this helps! i will post a few pics if i can figure it out.

Leah

BTW, the can livew inside or outside!
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 12:56:17 pm »
I know this will freak some people out, but rats are great! It was the bane of my childhood that my mother wouldn't let me have any rats. 

One of the boys in the neighborhood had Norwegian Fancy Rats, and we had a BLAST with them.  His dad helped him built a habitat for them that went all over one whole wall of Shane's room, plus they built a Skinner-type maze with moveable walls out in the garage that we could run races with them in.  They were really affectionate, and loved to ride around on your shoulder and they learned all kinds of tricks, like giving kisses, and riding the dog. They were just enormous amounts of fun.  Shane's dad would usually allow 1 litter a year, and there were ALWAYS kids left crying because there weren't enough kits for everyone that wanted one.

I've considered several times getting a couple of rats.  The deal breaker for me, and the one thing I would caution you about, is that properly done their habitats take up a LOT of space.  And I have too many shelves full of books to make room for a habitat.

Norwegians do get pretty big--like 4-6 inches without the tail, a literal handful--and IMHO they're generally sturdier than most rodent pets--they have that cat trick of landing on their feet when dropped, so they don't get hurt as easily as a hamster or a guinea.  But you shouldn't get just one, really.  They're very, very social, and can be very attached and attentive if properly raised, but can get a little neurotic if they don't have a companion.

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline sqrtcookies

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 03:12:06 pm »
I wouldn't reccomend a guinea pig-they really aren't all that sturdy, even though they look like they are. If you do get one, I would strongly suggest going to www.gpdd.org and www.cavycages. com for care tips and whatnot. Those are both great jumping-off places for the wonderful world of pigs!
Susanna

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 03:53:46 pm »
I agree about rats - they are fantastic pets. I'd say the only drawback with them is they only live around 3 years and you do get very attached to them as they are like little dogs.

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 04:24:11 pm »
Oh, I'd forgotten how short lived they are.

Sadly, 3 years is getting up there for a rat.  If someone were to dig up the part of the garden plot where all the pets are buried, 90% of them would be Shane's rats.  :( 

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 05:05:47 pm »
I would not recommend chinchillas for young children, especially as his first personal pet.  For one, they are terrified of shadows and being grabbed from above, can easily be scared literally to death by loud noises and fast movements, are usually sleeping all day and up all night, have very delicate digestive systems, and in general live for 15-20 years.   I am a breeder of show quality chinchillas, and I would not sell one to a family for a pet for a young child.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 05:11:26 pm by Imani's Mom »

Weedsport, NY

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 05:17:08 pm »
WOW! are Chinchilla Shows like rabbit/GP shows?

Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 05:01:51 am »
Couldn't tell you- I have never been to a rabbit or guinea pig show.   I hope I didn't come across as harsh in my previous post-  my own experience with my two children as well as others who have been involved,  showed that children should have constant supervision if handling or interacting with chinchillas- kids sometimes think it is ok to share part of their snack with their pet, and this might be ok in some situations, but with a chilla, it is not.   They have very strict dietary needs, and some things that might be ok for the family dog or cat could kill a chilla.  Holding a chinchlla is also very different from holding a kitten, hamster, etc.   

Weedsport, NY

Offline BellaRoosMom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 07:12:58 am »
We inherited the "classroom rat" after it's former family decided they were yucky.  She was the best pet ever.  Though she lived 3 years, it was from 1st grade to almost the end of 3rd grade.  I liked how she would ride around the house on my shoulders, and play in  my hair.  She was so calm and was very tame.  Anyone could grab her up, and she was easy to keep.  They live healthier with fresh veggie supplements, and are very social.  They're not smelly pets like our ferret was. I would definately reccommend one if your interested (oh, and females don't have the extra baggage that is unattractive to most people!).

Offline redbreast

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 07:27:19 am »
Thanks for the advice everyone.  I am leaning towards at GP or rat.  I'm thinking if I get a rat then maybe my girls won't be to interested in it and then it could be all his.  They were fighting this morning about what kind of animal to get and I really want it to be his pet and I don't want to be unfair to the girls but I think he needs one of his own.  One more question, probably a dumb one but...  I know you never get a dog from a pet store but can you get a GP or rat there and if not where do you go?

Anakalia

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2006, 09:28:05 am »
I've had two rats in the past and I had gotten both of them from the pet store.  They lived to be 3 and they died of cancer (I think they all get cancer).  I absolutely loved them.  They were playful, never bit and they make wonderful "whisper" noises in your ear, it's too cute!  The boy rats do tend to mess up their cages a little more than females and you have to clean them more often cause they get stinky, but the females tend to have PMS a lot!! hahaha  My girl got cranky every once in awhile and boy was she an EXCELLENT excape artist!  I think if you went with either GP or rat you would be fine getting them through a petstore. 

Edited because I don't know how to spell
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 09:29:27 am by Anakalia »

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2006, 10:54:35 am »
What area are you in?  I can check around with some people I know and see if there are reputable breeders in your area.   A pet store would probably be ok, but its not a guarantee, as you won't really know where they came from, or if they are really the age they are advertised as.  I know several people who purchased hamsters for their kids from pet stores, knowing that they would probably only live 3-4 years if that, and just as the kids got attached, the poor things died, and their vet attributed it to old age, when they were supposedly less than 6 months old when purchased, which would have made them less than a year when they died.

Weedsport, NY

Offline redbreast

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2006, 11:03:00 am »
We are in Dubuque, Iowa.