Author Topic: advice with small furry animals  (Read 7237 times)

Anakalia

Re: advice with small furry animals
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2006, 11:36:35 am »
We are in Dubuque, Iowa.

Hey!! I live in Iowa also!!  About an hour away from you.  I just checked the Dubuque Humane Society website and they have a few GP's there up for adoption.  They also have a super cute lop eared rabbit!!  If you're set on a rat you could always call the Humane Society up and ask to be put on a waiting list.  :) 

angelsmama

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2006, 02:15:08 pm »
i have rats and gerbils , both make good pets.. but if you want something to be long lived.. i'd go with a ball python..  they eat only once a week, and they can live 20-30 years.. my lil guy is 1 year old on the 12th and 2 feet long right now

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2006, 02:37:32 pm »
How big do the pythons get when full grown?

Weedsport, NY

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2006, 03:33:44 pm »
Since y'all reminded me about it, I was googling around; there's a webring at http://u.webring.com/hub?ring=abreedersratring where you can check out online breeders, info about rats as pets, etc. 

I think your son will LOVE to have rats, but beware:  they are very affectionate and sweet, and his sisters will fall in love very quickly. 

Here's another really good rat site--it's from the UK, but it's very informative about the rat fancy and different kinds of rats.  Lots and lots of info, pics, etc. 

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2006, 05:41:04 pm »
We are in Dubuque, Iowa.

Hey!! I live in Iowa also!!  About an hour away from you.  I just checked the Dubuque Humane Society website and they have a few GP's there up for adoption.  They also have a super cute lop eared rabbit!!  If you're set on a rat you could always call the Humane Society up and ask to be put on a waiting list.  :) 
Andi, redbreast is my little sister!...If we manage to get together for a puppy play date here this spring I'll have her bring Honey & Chopper!

NOW FOR THE SMALL PET UPDATE: She got a pair of rats!...She's been assured they are both female & I hope that's right! lol!...& whoever said that her daughter's would fall in love with them too was right on the money...She has to go get a 3rd rat for her youngest daughter tomorrow...lol! ;D

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2006, 05:59:19 pm »
Sounds like some happy kids now, then!

Weedsport, NY

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2006, 08:53:17 pm »
Imani's Mom...I love your bunny dog!!!...How cute is that!!!! ;D

Offline redbreast

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2006, 06:23:14 am »
Since y'all reminded me about it, I was googling around; there's a webring at http://u.webring.com/hub?ring=abreedersratring where you can check out online breeders, info about rats as pets, etc. 

I think your son will LOVE to have rats, but beware:  they are very affectionate and sweet, and his sisters will fall in love very quickly. 

Here's another really good rat site--it's from the UK, but it's very informative about the rat fancy and different kinds of rats.  Lots and lots of info, pics, etc. 

We got 2 rats and yes his sisters fell in love with them so now I need to get another one on the way home from work so they each have their own.

Offline redbreast

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2006, 06:26:11 am »
Yes they are VERY happy.  My son kept asking me to pinch him last night to make sure he wasn't dreaming! :-X

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2006, 06:36:52 am »
That's awesome my college roommate that I chose for next year has rats and loves them and I have a few other friends that love theirs.  Good luck with them.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties