Author Topic: Fleas and Ticks Meds  (Read 12491 times)

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
Fleas and Ticks Meds
« on: April 05, 2006, 08:58:46 am »
Hi,

Well it is that time, we normally use Frontline Plus, but I see K9 Advantix at the same price and it "says" repels and kills Fleas, Ticks and MOSQUITO's. ;D

What are you all using. We have plenty of mosquitos and if it does repel them I know Winslow would be happy!!

http://www.1800petmeds.com/pselect.asp?LV=201&PG=Frontline%20Plus

Oh and where do you buy?

« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 08:59:16 am by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Fleas and Ticks Meds
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 09:32:11 am »
Advantix is great stuff....but be careful if you have cats.  It will kill them if they injest the tiniest bit.  I use it when we go to the cabin since Cowboy can't take Heartgard (can cause seizures  :P)and our cats don't go there.   It does seem to keep the mozzies away.  Otherwise we use Frontline when we are at home.

Try www.vetpetdire ct.com  They seem to have good prices on all that stuff

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 09:44:35 am »
Hi,

Interesting we do have a cat. The 2 don't really interact and certainly don't sleep next to each other. How would the cat ingest the Advantix, I like the repel and kill but I don't want that to be poor Hadji.

Rich
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 10:41:16 am »
If there's any chance that Hadji would lick Winslow, then you should probably pass on Advantix.  My vet won't even sell me Advantix knowing that we have 3 cats.  (so I get it from the vet at the cabin)

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 11:04:55 am »
My vet recommended Frontline because Einstein is on Heartguard.  She also said she didn't recommend buying Frontline from an online company because they've had lots of patients who've done that and found out it's not the same product -- sometimes the Frontline liquid is RED (it's supposed to be green).  According to my vet, Frontline only sells to vets.  I did some checking and my vet still had it as cheap as any of the online stores I looked at ($90 for six months, plus one free -- for a 100 lb. dog).  Plus, I just want to be SURE he's getting the protection!

We usually sit in a screened-in porch, so hopefully Einstein won't have to deal with mosquitos TOO much.  I guess if I notice them biting me, I'll spray us both with OFF or Cutters.

Sarah

Kiahpyr

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 11:53:31 am »
Since you do have a cat I still would not use Advantix. I understand they don't sleep with each other, but you never know. It's better to be safe then sorry.

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 12:16:16 pm »
Hi,

We'll stick with the frontline. Interesting on the on-line meds. The frontline + is alot less than what our vet is charging.

If your vet is telling you about problems and not other buyers I'd question it, that is money out of their pocket if you don't buy. If the price is the same or close then I'd stay with the vet office, but for the significant difference between my vet and on line I'd want to see those complaints from purchasers, getting substitute supply,which I can't find anywhere.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 12:21:55 pm by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 12:28:56 pm »
How much does everybody else pay for Frontline? 
Sarah

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 12:40:28 pm »
I ordered Frontline from an online company for about $64.00/six months. The company requires a veterinarian perscription but they are the ones who contacted my vet.... that made it so easy for me.... all I had to do was pay via the website.... Also the product they sent was exactly the same as the Frontline I previously purchased from my vet.

If anyone is interested I can get the name of the website from home and post it tomorrow.

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 12:52:15 pm »
Was it the Frontline for BIG dogs?  If they contact your vet, then it sounds much more reliable than just buying it with no verification.

If so, yeah, I'd love to have that contact for future reference (we're set for the next 7 months).

Thanks!
Sarah

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 12:56:39 pm »
Yep - Frontline for large dogs....  44-88 pounds.

I also felt more confident because they recquired vet approval.

I will post the website tomorrow.

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 03:50:04 pm »
Dang, I wished I'd known about that before I paid big bucks!  But the only website I went to was PedMeds and they're priced the same as the vet.

I'll know better NEXT TIME!  Thanks for sharing.
Sarah

Offline hairprincessnyu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 10:55:28 pm »
Someone on here reccommended Petshed.com, and that is where I have been getting my Frontline Plus. It seems to work just as well as the ones from the vet, we haven't had any problems. And it was about half price. Although now, our vet is saying Advantix is better, so I am frustrated, I don't know what to believe. I do have 2 cats, but they are scared of Cesco, who lives with them and is now on Advantix. So i don't think there is any way they would get in contact with it, or him. But anyway, yea petshed.com is pretty good so far, fast shipping and great prices, and it does look exactly the same as the vet stuff.
True love is being gone all day, and coming home to a dog who licks your face.

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2006, 08:07:28 am »
Yep - Frontline for large dogs....  44-88 pounds.

I also felt more confident because they recquired vet approval.

I will post the website tomorrow.

I ordered the pups' Frontine Plus and Interceptor from www.entirelype ts.com

Fast shipping and free with orders over $100, they called the vet for verification, and the meds appear to be exactly the same as offered at the vet.

I paid 63.99 for a six month supply of Frontline Plus.

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2006, 08:10:34 am »
Hi,

Thanks for all the Info.  Hairprincessny u I ordered the frontline from Petshed the price is great!! Hadji will be safe and hopefully Winslow's double coat will keeps the skeeters at bay!!
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad