Author Topic: Fleas and Ticks Meds  (Read 12533 times)

EllieAndBlu

Re: Fleas and Ticks Meds
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2006, 08:11:25 am »
Someone on here reccommended Petshed.com, and that is where I have been getting my Frontline Plus. It seems to work just as well as the ones from the vet, we haven't had any problems. And it was about half price. Although now, our vet is saying Advantix is better, so I am frustrated, I don't know what to believe. I do have 2 cats, but they are scared of Cesco, who lives with them and is now on Advantix. So i don't think there is any way they would get in contact with it, or him. But anyway, yea petshed.com is pretty good so far, fast shipping and great prices, and it does look exactly the same as the vet stuff.

wow I just checked out PetShed.com the price for six months Frontline Plus for large dogs is $48.95 ... that is the cheapest I've seen thus far.

Offline hairprincessnyu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2006, 11:29:31 am »
Winslow's dad- I agree, I hope you have a good experience with petshed like I have!
I am beyond frustrated now though with the flea and tick medication companies, and just some vets in general. My mother called me last night and told me the vet had put Cesco on Advantix. He had previously been on Frontline Plus just like my cats. I asked her if the vet told her the Advantix was lethal to cats. She was shocked and said they never mentioned it. So, I just got off the phone with the vet, after informing them mthat if my cats die, I am FULLY blaming them and their staff of idiots that didn't even INFORM my mother about the danger of Advantix to cats. They have seen all 5 of our animals and know they live in the same house. I was INFURIATED that they pushed the switch of medications on my mom and Cesco, and did not even tell them of the dangers. So they vet gave me this long speech on how Frontline Plus is being replaced with Advantix because the fleas are "smart" and are "figuring out" out to be immune to Frontline. I don't know whether or not this is true, but I am still fuming about the lack of precautions that my mom was mamde aware of from the vet's office. Grrrrrrrr!! Has anyone had this experience????
True love is being gone all day, and coming home to a dog who licks your face.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2006, 03:04:29 pm »
Another vote for petshed here... We order heartguard & frontline from them.  Yep, I know it's not the original packaging, etc.. it's the same product that they bought in quantity and repackaged it.  No problems here.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Lyn

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2006, 04:13:42 pm »
Ok I'm confused.. lol Is Advantage and Advantix the same thing?

I used Advantage on both my cats and Bubba. My vet has never mentioned any problems.  ???

AHHH ok nevermind.. I googled it and found this info...

Advantage Flea Control:
A flea control only product for dogs and cats with imidacloprid to kill both larvae and adults fleas. Repels fleas from biting and kills fleas at all stages including larvae, development and adult. 

K9 Advantix Flea & Tick: 
A more comprehensive version of Advantage with an ingredient that makes it unsuitable for cats. Designed to kill fleas at all stages. Helps kill, repel and control ticks and even mosquitoes too. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 04:17:25 pm by Lyn »

Offline hairprincessnyu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2006, 11:48:03 pm »
EastJenn- thanks for the info! I guess Advantix is pretty good stuff then, but I still just don't feel comfortable that it is lethal to cats!!! And I am still angry at the vet's office. How incredibly irresponsible!!!!! I don't care if it is "their opinion" that cats can only come in contact with the Advantix if they are "grooming" the dog that is using it. I STILL feel they should have informed my mom of the risks!!!! I told the vet I spoke with today that my cats will not be coming back to their clinic. Including their grooming clinic. I don't think my mom will be bringing Cesco or her 2 yorkies back their either. The whole situation just seems so unprofessional >:(
Brandon- Does your pet meds really not come in the original packaging from pet shed? Mine always do, that is really odd. Either way, I still think it's great that we can get it at MUCH better prices than the vet sells it for! Yippee!!
True love is being gone all day, and coming home to a dog who licks your face.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2006, 06:52:27 am »

Brandon- Does your pet meds really not come in the original packaging from pet shed? Mine always do, that is really odd. Either way, I still think it's great that we can get it at MUCH better prices than the vet sells it for! Yippee!!

See this link http://www.frontline.com/epa/ It explains the packaging.  It looks like the original packaging, but according to Frontline it is not.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline jaspers mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2006, 10:45:01 am »
I sent my husband out for Frontline (from the vet) and he came back with Sentry Pro by Sergeant's (from PetSmart).  We have always used Frontline.  Does anyone know if this stuff works?

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2006, 04:29:47 pm »
We put Frontline Plus on our dogs and Advantage on our cats. Drs. Foster and Smith is having an awesome sale on flea and tick control on several brands! And only $2.99 for shipping, no matter how many boxes of flea control you get! Best deal I've ever seen! Check out their website! We got our order in 4 days too!

drsfosterandsm ith.com
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 04:31:06 pm by Saint and Mal mom »
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2006, 12:49:01 am »
We don't have a problem with fleas however ticks are prevalent.  Any one had any real success with non toxic or "natural" tick preventatives???

Offline MyDyson

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Dyson
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2006, 03:13:27 am »
Well, I'm gonna try the ebay thing and buy Austrailian Frontline Plus for 6m/100+lb for $45 total. I check out Merial's Austrailian website and the packages match. 

http://au.merial.com/pet_owners/dogs/products/dogs_frontline_plus.asp
Randy & Jennifer Wilkerson
St. Louis, MO

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2006, 03:34:21 am »
Hi,

Well we got the Frontline plus. I put it on Winslow the day it came in. Less than one week later we went to the state forrest and guess what!! He came home with his first TICK  >:( There can't be an Immunity thing he is 9 months old and this is the first time he has had any thing on.

Hey, he is a dog they do get TICKS he seems fine (hopefully my wife will get over it) she found the critter and immediately made it my fault  ::). I statred this thread on the Mosquito thing and Chaos had some good info on Advatix and cats. http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,9357.0.html

I still wonder what to use for Mosquitos any suggestions  :-\ there is only so much I can use Cayenne pepper for (did anyone get that reference) O h well the season for the dreaded critters has started here in New England.

Rich
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2006, 03:55:40 am »
Poor Winslow. I think Frontline just kills the ticks when they bite though, it doesn't necessarily repel them from what I know. Was the tick alive? I hate them, they are SO gross. I hope I never ever find one on Sadie, I will lose it and have to call my Dad to come over and kill it! Seriously, I don't mind bugs or creepy crawly things if they serve a legitimate purpose, but what is the reason for ticks?
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2006, 08:57:25 pm »
Hi,

I think it was dead (the tick) I know it is dead now as it sailed the tidy bowl river to its end.

Rich
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad