Author Topic: Intruders in the backyard!  (Read 5798 times)

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Intruders in the backyard!
« on: April 06, 2006, 07:45:39 am »
What an exciting time Angus and I had last night! Everything was peaceful, up until 10:00 pm. Angus went out around 9:00 pm to go potty and of course didn't want to come in. It was about 1° C, so I let him stay out and enjoy the cool weather. He likes to curl up next to the back of the house and you can barely see him in the dark. I was quietly watching American Idol and working on my computer inside and he was sleeping in the backyard, everything was normal. Then, out of no where, around 10:00 pm I heard vicious (maybe not really, really vicious.... ok just bad attitude) barking from the backyard! Angus has a bunch of different barks and this one I do not hear very often. I immediately jumped up and ran out the backyard, where Angus was super upset about something, then I seen two young fellas (maybe 15 to 18 age range) running up my driveway and across the street. I though maybe they were cutting through the driveway and Angus gave them a scare, that is when an older man came running down the road and right towards my backyard. He was looking for the two guys who he said went throughmy yard (he ran around the building next door). I told him what direction the guys went and he took off before I could find out what they done, abviously it wasn't something good! One thing is for sure, they never seen Angus when they jumped the fence into the backyard, and they were lucky he was sleeping (newfs don't wake up from sleeping and spring in to action, it is sort of a slow motion stretch and lesuirely get up). My estimate is the guys got halfway across my yard before Angus was alerted and up and running!! I can only imagine the fright those guys got when they noticed Angus in full run and bad attitude barking! I bet they didn't even touch the fence on the way out of the yard!! Who says Newfs are not guard dogs!!! I feel more safe against intruders (though it has never been a problem in my area) then I ever have. What a security system I have in place, 135 lbs (and still growing) of black fur and fury!! Angus was on guard at all the windows, doors and backyard for 2 hours after that. Needless to say, my big boy got late night treats and even some roast I stole from the fridge. It is strange, we have kids jump our fence to pet him down and people coming up to all sides of our fence to meet Angus all the time, and he doesn't make a sound, he loves everyone, but last night he knew something was up, jumped into action, and his instincts were right! I guess my backyard as a gettaway route is now taken of the list!!

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Intruders in the backyard!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 07:54:23 am »
What a good boy!!!!
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 07:55:47 am »
Way to go Angus! You are the best looking watch dog EVER!  :)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 08:25:25 am »
Wow, that's a good boy Angus!  :-*
I wish I had the sense that dogs have to tell which people are good and which people shouldn't be trusted!!!

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 08:51:04 am »
Ohhh...thats scary.  :o
Thank goodness you have a big imposing Newfie!
Seriously though...I wonder what would have happened had they not been deterred?  ~~shudders~~

Good boy Angus!  ;D
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 09:59:05 am »
GOOD BOY, ANGUS!!!  Newfs are too frickin' smart, they just know when something is just not right.  Although they aren't killer attack dogs, their size and that "feel it in your bones" bark is enough to scare off most bad guys.  Glad there was a happy ending to this story.  Did you ever find out what those guys did?
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 10:07:16 am »
GOOD BOY, ANGUS!!!  Newfs are too frickin' smart, they just know when something is just not right.  Although they aren't killer attack dogs, their size and that "feel it in your bones" bark is enough to scare off most bad guys.  Glad there was a happy ending to this story.  Did you ever find out what those guys did?

Never found out what they did, and I've been watching / checking the news all day. We do live right next door to a drug store though, and they are always targets for those who cannot go without a "fix". I'm really proud of Angus, I didn't really think he had that in him. I thought the extend of his protection would be lying against the front door so no one could open it and if they did they would surely trip over him!

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 11:13:28 am »
Good boy Angus! What a smart guy you have there. Sadie thinks she's big and bad, but really if someone broke in my house I'm convinced she'd welcome them in and show them where all the good stuff is hidden ;) Give that boy some goodies!!!
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 11:23:18 am »
What a good boy!  Nothing like a big dog to scare the witts out of wittless people ;)  Our first Lab was a black 100 lb male who would happily lick anyone's face to death.  At the lumber yard one day a guy didn't want to help me load the lumber because he was afraid of him. And he didn't even bark at the guy!  Someone on the run and in trouble isn't going to stop and wait to find out if the 130 lb of teeth and bark up ahead is friendly or not.  My police officer DH says that houses with dogs rarely get broken into.  There are plenty of easier targets than those with barking, snapping teeth.  Who needs a burgler alarm when you have a big dog!
Daphne

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 11:28:33 am »
Way to go Angus!!!

What a good feeling to know that, if needed, he can be a guard dog.
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 01:40:12 pm »

Never found out what they did, and I've been watching / checking the news all day. We do live right next door to a drug store though, and they are always targets for those who cannot go without a "fix". I'm really proud of Angus, I didn't really think he had that in him. I thought the extend of his protection would be lying against the front door so no one could open it and if they did they would surely trip over him!

Haha Kali won't even let us in the house half the time because she's asleep in front of the door and too lazy to move.  I have shoulder the door open enough to squeeze through and step over her. ::)
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 03:05:40 pm »
You go Angus, you big, bad, black ball of fur!  Way to protect the homestead!!  Whine and wiggles from Tsu too!
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2006, 04:59:48 pm »
OH Fumble and I just wanted to say that we are so proud of you!! and very impressed!! Fumble said that Angus has inspired him to stick up for his mommy and auntie now!! WOOOHOOO!!! YAH ANGUS!!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2006, 05:58:07 pm »
Did you buy that wonderful boy of yours steak for dinner?  He certainly deserves at least one!

Weedsport, NY

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2006, 06:21:16 pm »
YAY for Angus!