Author Topic: A Chance BPO Newf Encounter  (Read 5264 times)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
A Chance BPO Newf Encounter
« on: April 06, 2006, 09:40:08 am »
I was driving to Napa with Drake yesterday and just as I was getting into town, I saw a woman walking a large, black dog down the street.  I thought, "That's gotta be a Newf", so I pulled over to say Hi.  I can't resist an opportunity to meet a Newf.  I pulled over onto the shoulder and rolled down the windows.  Drake stuck his big head out after he saw it was another Newf and the woman walked over to my car.  She suddenly said, "Hey I know you, aren't you Newf Lover on BPO?  And you must be Drake" :o  It turned out to be Locompmo, remember her?  She had that beautiful Newf, Dartagnan that unfortunately ate snail poison?  And she had the big girl Newf, Miss Otis?  She hasn't been on BPO for a while but I think she may come back soon. It was too cool to, just by chance, bump into someone who is a BPO-er.  She had a handsome Newf with her named Solomon who she is currently fostering and we had a nice conversation, right there on the side of the road.  I just thought I would share this with you all, it was a really cool, chance encounter and put a big smile on my face.  Locompmo, if you read this, let's stay in touch and do a Wine tasting tour of Napa with the boys this Summer.   ;D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 10:15:10 am by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
Re: A Chance BPO Newf Encounter
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 09:44:25 am »
Very cool.  You know, in the book Celestine Prophecy, there's a bit in there about being drawn to people because they look like someone you know.  I can't tell you how many times I've been drawn to someone just because they LOOKED like someone I know -- then we became good friends as if it WAS MEANT TO BE.

Seems in this case it worked the other way -- drawn to someone you already knew!
Sarah

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 10:01:04 am »
How cool! and how very cool that she has another Newf in her life. Can't wait to see photo's!

I wish I had had a camera when we met up, but I didn't so there's no pics to share.  Sorry!  :-\
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 10:16:37 am »
That's very cool :)
RIP former BPO

Offline locompmo

• Gnawer
  • Mom, can't I please go in there?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 09:00:48 pm »
Hi Newf Lover and Drake!  I don't know who was more excited to meet you both, me or Solomon.  Drake is just too cute!  I couldn't wait to get home and tell my husband about it.  When he asked, "How do know them again?", I said, "Remember the clip of the guy who taught his dog to whisper?"  He remembered, who wouldn't? 
Here's another strange coincidental thing: you grew up in Napa and moved to Marin- AND I grew up in Marin (Greenbrae) and moved to Napa! 
Well, it was a great surprise and a pleasure to meet you and Drake, and we do look forward to a doggie day/wine tasting adventure (if it ever stops raining!)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 09:11:57 pm »
That is so cool!...I am having a bad night...Had a long day of stress, reading bad things in the paper, seeing bad things on the news...Things like this soothe the soul. :)

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 11:09:13 pm »
I don't blame you for stopping to talk to a newfie owner ! I've only seen one other person in this state that owns a newfie and he was walking down the street from my house , I loaded up my kids in the car , zoomed over to him and it was some teenage boy , I rolled down my window and all I could think of to say was " Nice dog !!!!!" and his smile kind of went a way for a second and he said " uh .. thanks ?" LOL I was embarresed and drove away .  ::)
My hubby drives truck and said he's seen this woman jogging with a newfie two days in a row , he's going to call me next time he sees her so I can drive to town and find her . LMAO I'm pathetic !
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 11:14:45 pm »
I'm in the pathetic club too. ;)  Everytime I see someone walking a Newf I have to stop....and the number of times I'm walking my guys and people pull over to talk.... ::)

I LOVE it!!!

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 11:27:14 pm »
The only time I'm able to take my dogs out of the yard is usually at night when I go running , and people don't talk to me , they steer clear of me .LOL oh well ! But everyone who walks by our house knows the dogs , they even know their names and I have no idea how , I've never met the people ! LOL
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 01:13:46 am »
don't worry, they are probly just wierd big dog lovers like us. i know every dogs name on my block, but if you asked me to say a single thing about a person, my mind would go blank!

Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 05:02:18 am »
How's that for a small world!

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 06:24:07 am »
Oh wow...what a small world and how neat is that!?
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 10:13:17 am »
I'm in the pathetic club too. ;)  Everytime I see someone walking a Newf I have to stop....and the number of times I'm walking my guys and people pull over to talk.... ::)

I LOVE it!!!

I do that too! The last time we saw one a few weeks ago they didn't realize that Sadie was a Newf too at first though. Their guy was big and fluffy and Sadie's having a really awkward phase right now. She's still got puppy fur going on but it's really flat. That same day someone asked me if she was a Border Collie  ??? ??? ???

What a small world! But how cool that she recognized you and Drake!
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge