Author Topic: Starting on a Pet Passport  (Read 1533 times)

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Starting on a Pet Passport
« on: April 06, 2006, 12:52:19 pm »
Well, as of 31st March, I am officially retired and have become a pensioner!!

It's a whole new start to my life and I've decided to live the dream and buy a Holiday home in France. The only problem is the UK quarantine laws and pet passports. I started monday, with a visit to the vets to have Hovis microchipped (Bell has hers already) and their first Rabies injection. I now have to wait 2 weeks for their second and then another 2 weeks for the antibody blood test. After that I have a six month wait until the dogs can travel. The cost, £174.00 per dog, that came as a bit of a shocker!!!.

I'm using the next six months to browse the internet for suitable property. I'm busy searching for something next to a river or with its own lake - the things you do for Newfoundlands.

The sad part of all this is that Suzi, my little red van, will have to go, she's just not big enough. Whilst she happily motors about the U.K., with 108,000 miles on the clock, I am worried that the 1000+ miles each way I'll be commuting will be a little too much. I've now bought a VW transporter van and after looking at all the custom caged vans at the Northern Newfoundland club show I've just about worked out how I'll sort the interior out. I never dreamed a decision to buy a house in another country would cost so much and Ive not even left the UK. ;D

Andy Bell & Hovis
Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Starting on a Pet Passport
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 12:57:54 pm »
Congratulation s (despite your obstacles!)  Good luck.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 01:43:31 pm »
Sounds like it'll be worth it, the girls will have a blast if you find a nice place. And the newfs are worth it.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 06:32:31 pm »
It all sounds like a dream!  Of course, from the pics you've posted, where you presently live looks like a dream as well!  The Newfs will be so appreciative with their own "lac" to swim in!  You are a good and caring companion to your Newfs!! ;)

Au Revoir to Suzi!!  Will the new van be rouge as well??

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 06:37:09 pm »
That sounds like an absolute amazing plan!  Best of luck to you in your new endevor!