Author Topic: severe aggression in puppy  (Read 2724 times)

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
severe aggression in puppy
« on: April 07, 2006, 03:51:31 pm »
I posted earlier about my friend who got a dog from the shelter who has severe aggression/ jealousy issues.
She needs to make a decision based upon whether this dog can or cannot be rehabilitated which could mean putting it down....so I am reposting as I have no solid advice to give her.  :-\
Hannah is 7 months old and a very sweet, playful dog. She listens when called, retrieves, loves to play with my dogs and seems like the perfect family pet. As soon as her owner comes around there is a hair trigger reaction to protect her(or for anyone she's close to, a warning to stay the h*ll away), and she starts raging...the best way I can descibe it. Hannah attacked Lucas, and then went for Chip. She's gone after my friend's mom, and has bitten my friend as well, leaving a nasty bruise...which isn't very protective.  ???
Has anyone had problems with this kind of aggression? My friend is very attached to her and heartbroken, and wants to know what she can do-if anything, to work with Hannah on this. 

« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 03:53:37 pm by teamshredit »
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

GR8DAME

Re: severe aggression in puppy
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 09:31:35 pm »
I am used to a certain degree of protectivness with my dobermans,but it sounds like the pup is out of control. Has she tried a behaviorist? They would be able to give her better advise for behavior modifcation, and rehabilitation than a non-professional.
Stella
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 09:33:49 pm by GR8DAME »

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 10:20:10 pm »
I agree.  See if your friend will take the dog to a behaviorist to be evaluated.

Some breeds are more protective than others, and as some can attest on here, in some breeds you will not be able to lessen the protective nature of them.  But from your earlier post as to what they think the dog is, none of those breeds should be that overly protective.

Once she sees a behaviorist, they will probably want her to start desensitizing the dog to other people.  There are different ways one can go about this, but the behaviorist should be able to tell which would work best for your friend.

I hope this can be worked on.  The dog seems awefully young to be so protective already.  How long has she had the dog?

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 10:22:03 pm »
Okay, never mind.  I looked and you had said 2 wks.  That seems awefully quick to be getting so attached and protective towards your friend.

I wonder if it's just better socialization she needs?

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 12:10:04 am »
the main thing i can suggest (other than a pro) is to try to teach the dog that protecting that person is not what that person wants. most dogs aim to please, and you need to assert the sense that your friend is not Hannahs to protect. vocal scolding and some physical reprimanding may be nessesary. take it small steps at a time. try small, opposite sex, non-dominant dogs at first, and let her see that they are not a threat. move (VERY slowly) to larger, more assertive dogs then to same sex dogs. after you have that mastered (it may be weeks or months later) try a person. most dogs are more comfortable with women, so try that first. a small women (maybe a well educated teen) might be a good idea. make sure they don't smell like other dogs (it wacks some dogs out). also, VERY important, be sure the person you are introducing has a good knowledge of dogs, and they know when to back off. have them make friends with the dog first, then address the human. that way the dog is comfortable with the person before it (in a dogs sense) walks onto her property. hope this helps some!

Leah

P.S. give yummy treats when she reacts well, and scold (harshly) when she is agressive.
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 01:03:02 am »
I'll agree with Gr8dame in that the pup is out of control. It's scary to see this sweet dog flip on a dime when my friend shows up. I am so unfamiliar with this situation that I don't know what to say, but I see alot of potential in this cutie. My friend is off work tomorrow and is going to a good rescue for an evaluation. If Hannah doesn't pass I will work with both of them, but I am no dog expert. I do believe that this dog has a chance, but it will take a commited, patient person. Worst case situation...wh at happens if a foster home is needed? I see this situation repeating itself. I think she needs to be with a confident, commited, stable person who will not change her environment.
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge