Author Topic: Help me decide what my pup is please!!!  (Read 5238 times)

Offline bigpup

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Help me decide what my pup is please!!!
« on: May 30, 2005, 08:53:04 am »
 ???

Dear All,

Im a newbie on here and when I discovered the site i loved it!!!

Can you all please help me try to figure out what my dog is mixed with... when we got her we were told that she was a lab mix... we thought with a Rott as she had the distinctive markings on her face and was really big... the trouble is aver the last 2 months the markings have now gone and she is becoming more Tan coloured everyday!  so were now thinking maybe a hound of some kind.  She has the biggest Paws I have ever seen and is already the size of our 8 month Lab.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas please let me know as I am confussed!!!

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 08:55:51 am by bigpup »

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Help me decide what my pup is please!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 09:47:27 am »
I'd say she's definitely a German Shepherd mix. That would fit with her markings changing, too- I'll bet she ends up mostly tan with a black saddle.  We have some pretty big GSD's at the kennel where I work- they have some big feet, too!

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 09:53:57 am »
She definately looks part german sheppard to me, but her face is not the typical long nose I am used to , I wonder what else she is mixed with?
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 10:11:52 am »
looks like a bunch of differnt  mixes
 prob  shep, rotti and more 
ya never know  but it is sure cute
isnt that enough??
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 05:58:45 pm »
It's hard to see in the photo, but does she have small black marks next to her toenails on the top of her foot? 

I have a rottweiler/lab X named Lou.  His photo is posted on his Paw Print Proflie under Lou.  Everyone always thinks he is part German shepherd, but he isn't.

However, your pup looks like a Shepherd X, but it is so hard to tell sometimes.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline bigpup

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 06:27:28 pm »
Thanks for the input guys... I have to say I am extreamly surprised by the responce though... no one has ever suggested German Shep, ... Im not convinced, they seem to have longer coats and long noses, also, dont there ears point up??? I dont know, I dont know too much about dogs, was just drawn to her. I'll try to find some better pics of her for you over the next few days, perhaps that will make it easier.

Thanks Guys!

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005, 10:33:00 pm »
Hi, Niki is a pure Rotweiller and Lab mix and you can see in the photos.  Some of the puppies had the pure Rot colors and some were all brown like her.  Parents were both all black, one, of course with Rot colors.  This one looks like a German Shepard mix, probably some Rot but will be very big, look at those paws.  Looks very cute and very smart.  Niki is a rotten lab - this one could be a rotten shepard.  Very nice.
Peggy

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 10:36:24 pm »
Lou is a rott'n lab, too. 
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2005, 10:39:04 pm »
One day we were walking Lou and Greta in Marymoore Park in Seattle and a lady was walking a big male rottweiler without a cropped tail.  We asked her about him and she said she found him by the side of the road when he was a puppy and that she didn't know what breed of dog he was.

Now, that may be a good idea.  See, with all the discrimination I may some day say, "I don't know..." or "Lab mix", because it will dispell the fear and make it easier for the dog.  Especially if you are worried about insurance and renting, etc.

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 02:01:31 am »
Hi,  I am not real knowlegable on the Rotweiler breed but I worked with a person in the TV and Movie animal field and she told me that because of the color of the Rot, they could only put them in violent types of films because that is the way the public sees them.  She knew it was a shame because that are so cool but she can't change it.  Also black does not film well.  I do not know how they got the reputation but I believe it is because they are depicted especially during WWI and WWII as fighting dogs.  Were they bred in Germany as war dogs?  Why do they always doc the tail?  Niki's tail was docked by her mothers owner and I would not have done it. 
Peggy

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 07:25:09 am »
Since Lou was the only pup not from a breeder he has kept his tail, but I did have his dew claws removed.  

Betti came from a German breeder who does not dock the tails on his own dogs, because he shows them in a lot of European and S. American shows.  Some places in Europe have ceased docking tails on rotts.  But, since Betti was purchased by an American family, she has a docked tail.  But she has front dew claws...only the hind removed.

For those who have not seen a purebred rottweiler with a tail, here is a photo gallery of German rottweilers... click on Farah Von Bickesheim in the list to see Betti's mother.  :-*

http://www.4rottweilers.com/gallery.asp