Author Topic: Newf energy level  (Read 10526 times)

Offline maggieb

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Newf energy level
« on: May 30, 2005, 01:05:00 pm »
I'm wondering what is normal energy level for a Newf.  Our puppy has never been very energetic.  For example, when we take him to the park, he'll run in brief spurts but mostly walks around, never trots.  Our 12 year old Lab runs circles around him.  I always assumed it was a breed trait but now that we have the hip dysplasia diagnosis, I'm wondering how much that might be contributing.

The other problem is that it's hard to wear him out.  He's been kind of destructive in the last week even when we take him out every day.  Does anyone have any good mental exercise tricks to tire a dog out?  It's clear he's not getting enough stimulation.
Maggie

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Newf energy level
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 02:44:32 pm »
What a strange problem. I know that as a pupy Bear's friends ran circles around him too. Actually, they still do. He gets bursts of energy but can't hang with them when they are running around for hours on end. Gettign him to relax and tire out has never been a problem though,  :D I know that two things that really tire him out are long, long walks and swimming sessions. The water allows him to use his swimming muscles and although he might not get tired in the water, once on land he sleeps like a baby. What else have you tried?
On the destructive note, I know that Bear is only destructive when he doens't get enough "mommy time" and feels neglected. It is rare but when it does happen I know why because I feel as if we haven't spent quality time together either.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 02:57:03 pm »
Judge is quite lazy too. My sisters Dane X has much more energy. I find if I leave Judge alone too much he gets into stuff and starts to chew. I try to make some extra time for him when he has been left alone for awhile. It must be hard with the hip problem. Its hard enough knowing that they could get hip problems if you push them too much so if your baby already has them it has to be harder.
Good Luck and keep us posted.
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 09:24:15 am »
I concur with everyone else.  Newfs have lower energy levels compared to other dogs and that is one of the reasons why we got one.  Drake has little energy bursts, especially when he first gets to the dog park.  He will do the figure 8 "crazy run", for a minute or so and then he starts slowing down.  They really don't need a huge amount of exercise and swimming is best if at all possible.  It allows them to exercise their legs without stressing their joints.  I wouldn't worry too much about them getting enough exercise, anything is good.  Something I do that seems to wear Drake  out very quickly is I throw him a ball uphill.  Running uphill tires Drake out in much less time.   Just something to consider.  Find a ball or toy that your dog can't resist and try it, it works!  Sorry about the dysplasia though, hopefully it isn't too problematic.  That might make running uphill hard.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline maggieb

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 11:33:41 am »
Thanks for the ideas.  Our consult with the orthepedic surgeon is tomorrow so we should have a better sense of how much we can push him physically.  As far as swimming, we've taken him a few times but he's still a little tentative about going deep enough to swim.  I got him a baby pool a few days ago and he has been taking a dunk every time he goes outside.  (It's very cute!) I'm hoping this will help him get a little more used to it. I can tell he loves water but he's a little scared.  Hide and seek games sound like a great idea. I'll try it.
Maggie