Author Topic: Need help Potty training  (Read 2912 times)

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Need help Potty training
« on: May 30, 2005, 03:25:38 pm »
So it looks as though we are going to keep Little Tekke.  He is paper trained so I was wondering what is the best way to go about training him to go outside.  Any suggestions?

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Need help Potty training
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 08:20:36 pm »
I was very lucky with Samson...I got him at 14 weeks old & he had never been inside & we only had 5 or 6 accidents here...I crate trained first & foremost...We never had any accidents in the crate...Whenev er he looked like he had to go I just took him out...Also, shortly after they eat or wake up is a god time to take them out...The mama dog pushes them out of the area they are sleeping in when they wake up & after they eat so that's just following what the mama dog has already started to teach them...When they potty outside praise them lavishly & give treats...If there is an accident in the house you have to be on top of it & catch them in the act or within 3 seconds after..Scold them...IMMEDIA LTY take them outside & tell them potty outside...When they do go outside use the same words like "potty outside" or "pee ouside" (Sam's poop words are "get 'er done..lol) whatever you choose so they correlate the words with the action...Good luck!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 10:02:28 pm »
I couldn't agree more with Gypsy! Bear came home at 12 weeks and was potty fully potty trained within a week and had no "accidents". Occasionally we have had a diharreah accident when we have been out, but it is so rare. He never had the chance to go inside with us so I thin if you just start taking him out regularly and give praise alot you'll be fine. My bro-in-law have a tiny dog that was confused about where to potty since he was trained on the pee-pad but was allowed to go outside too. We finally convinced him to only allow the dog to potty outside and they have had no accidents since. Good luck and keep us posted!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 04:06:54 pm »
My Dobe doesn't go to the door either, he just walks around whining very quietly.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 04:11:03 pm »
Ahhhhh, so glad Galahad is not the only dog here that does not go to the door  ;D He does not have hardly any accidents, but since he does not go to the door, I guess the only reason he hasnt is because I keep such a close eye on him, I really hope he will get the hang of going to the door, when he needs to go out, or I will have to treat him as a puppy his whole life, mind you it will get better when he gets a little older and dont have to go out two million times a day.

How old is your baby Jamie???

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 06:15:29 pm »
Ace was 5 in December.  I guess I have just always kind of known when he needed to go out so he never really had to ask.  Often I will tell my fiance that Ace has to go out and he will say how do you know he never did anything, but as soon as he has him outside he always does his business.  Sometimes it is a pain if I am not paying attention to his very very subtle demands.

We are in this together Marit, with our big boys that don't quite know how to ask to go out....... :D

Ps Now that Ace is older I only have to take him out like 4 times a day unless his routine changes, thats way better than 2 million times a day.....lol  It will get better.  How old is Galahad?

nickerbokker

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 06:21:06 pm »
i think you all should use a bell.

i trained cody on the bell, and whenever (even 3 floors up in an apartment), he has to go out, he rings the bell and sits by his leash.  he's my angel. 

it was annoying for a while though.  he abused the bell system.  he would ring the bell, run half way out of the garage and then fly back in a sit by the "cookie" jar.  he would do that about 15 times in 10 minutes. ...he is too smart for his own good! 

but anyway...the bell system works SO well, and then there is no guessing....yo u hear the bell, and take them out.

its been harder since i got angus, i'll be in my room and hear the bell, and he will be chewing the damn thing in the living room.  SO....its not for every dog, at least not the "special" ones.  lol

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 06:32:39 pm »
Good idea but I fear that my Angel( ya right ) Ace would totally abuse that system, he is too smart for his own good, silly boy.