Author Topic: Gingko  (Read 7995 times)

Offline imogen

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Gingko
« on: May 30, 2005, 08:49:18 pm »
Hi all,
I joined the group a little while back but thought it was time I got my bum into gear and posted some pictures!

A little about my grey Gingko:

Gingko was rescued from an RSPCA shelter with one day to go by a foster carer for an adoption program.

Gingko had no name and was painfully shy. His ex owner simply said 'he wasn't fast enough'.

Gingko is scared of men but slowly got better in his 4 weeks with the foster carer and 2 greys, he also passed a test which ment he didn't have to wear a muzzle in public as is law in our state.

Gingko came to our house all shy but was startled by the chooks, slipped his collar, and ran off. He was missing for 3 days as he didn't know his name and ran when called. He was finally trapped in the river by a kind farmer and the town was on alert as I'd told everyone about his disappearance. .. that was one day after we bought him home!

Gingko is now a far more settled boy. He is not at all shy of my partner Chris and runs for cuddles, he knows his name (though he doesn't always come to it!), he can even handle surround sound and a cuckoo clock! (and thats a big deal for Gingko.

He is a bit chubbier and cleaner now too!

Now for the pics!
Imogen

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Gingko
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 09:16:43 pm »
You have a very handsome boy there!...Ty for sharing him with us!

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 09:24:09 pm »
Beautiful boy!  Looks like he has a nice, cuddly place to lie down.  Sometimes I wish to be a well-cared for canine, too.  ;D
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 09:54:32 pm »
Beautiful boy! It's awesome that you were able to take him in and save him from his previous life. It's obvious that he is loved and appreciated. I look forward to seeing more of your baby!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 10:00:30 pm »
Hi, what state are you in that would require him to wear a muzzle.  >:(
 I am so against all of the rules and regulations our country keeps posting that we have to follow or be nabbed by the "police".  Very hard to live with. 
Peggy

Offline imogen

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 10:05:26 pm »
Wow,
Thanks everyone. I'm pretty proud of him and the novelty hasn't worn off after 5 weeks... so I think I'm thouroughly in love with him (not in a creepy way though!)
Time for more pics!
Imogen

Offline Greytmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 04:13:48 am »
Imogen and I both live in Victoria in Australia. They have strange laws about greyhounds here. Only the state of Victoria and now I think New South Wales and South Australia are in the process of changing the law. The only problem is that they have to be a greyhound that has gone through the states rescure group called GAP. All other greyhounds have to wear a muzzle with they are out in public. I have 1 GAP dog Jessica that has her green collar like Gingko, but my puppy Oz because he blind in one eye might not be able to go through GAP for his collar when he is 8 months old. I am not sure it the law is the same in the U.S. but here the RSPCA and GAP or other rescue groups can not "sell" a dog that has an illness. Because of this law I don't know if Oz will be able to get his green collar in 2 more months or not. Because of this I have had to give him a race name and register him with the greyhound racing board so he would be legally in our name. I was lucky I found out about this just 6 days before he was going to be fixed. I could not register him if he was not intack. Here you can't even register a greyhound with your local council unless it is a GAP dog. Lots of red tap. Sometimes I wish I was back home in the U.S., but I might not have ever found my true loves Greyhounds.

Toni  :(
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 04:17:18 am by Greytmom »
Toni

Greyhounds are great

Offline morticiaangie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2005, 08:31:53 am »
WOW  :o   lots of silly rules where you are! Is it only greyhounds that have to go through this whole muzzle in public thing - or is it all dogs? Greyhounds are the most gentle dog - that is hard to imagine for me. Things are much different here - that is for sure.
"The life given us by nature is short; but the memory of a well-spent life is eternal."
~ Cicero 106-43 BC

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2005, 08:57:19 am »
You have a very handsome pooch there Greytmom, congrats on saving his life it will probably be one of the best things you could have done just think of all the love you will get in return :).  You do have very strange laws over there. ???

Offline morticiaangie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2005, 09:44:53 am »
Imogen - found a picture of a foster that I had for several months - he was so hard to part with!!! He kind of reminds me of your Ginko. His name was Echo - his new family named him Maxell - he is very well loved!
"The life given us by nature is short; but the memory of a well-spent life is eternal."
~ Cicero 106-43 BC

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2005, 12:55:26 pm »
Wow green collars.  If they keep making rules like that - humans where you live will be walking around with different colored collars.  What an image I have of that!!!!   :o

Thanks for the photos

Peggy
Peggy

Offline Greytmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2005, 03:56:49 pm »
I agree it is a stupid law. Greyhounds are very gentle unless something is running ie rabbit, cat etc. But then all dogs would run after it. They have laws about a lot of dog they feel are dangeous. So yes, there are other breeds that are suppose to wear muzzles. It comes from a old British law that they have not changed here yet. The green collars have their GAP number on it in case they are lost. When I registerd Jessica with the local council they took that number down for their records. It does sound much more complicated here than it does in the states. I do agree on muzzles when they are running because then tend to nip at each other and because their skin is so thin they tend to get skin tears easily. On the attached picture you can see some GAP greyts with their collars on.

Toni
Toni

Greyhounds are great

Offline Greytmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2005, 04:01:26 pm »
 :) Greyhounds shead but not as much as most dogs. Our last dog was a German Sheppard X and Tessa lost her hair 10 1/2 months of the year. It was always all over the place.

Toni
Toni

Greyhounds are great

Offline imogen

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2005, 05:54:37 pm »
Echo certainally does look like Gingko!

Gingko is constantly shedding! I have to sweep every day.

We got our backyard yesterday so I have to share pics again. He loves it and I am overjoyed that its done and I don't have to sneak into the neighbours yard for a run anymore! Though, he came to us VERY timid and I think the couple of weeks inside with us OR on lead has helped him bond with us instead of hiding away.

Offline Greytmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2005, 06:24:54 pm »
 :)Hi Imogen, When we were talking on messenger you didn't tell me you had posted new pictures of Gingko. They are lovely. I must say he has gotten much more confident than when Winsome first rescured him from the RSPCA. You can tell from the pictuce she took of him when she first got him and the ones you have taken since you brought him home with you. I wish we lived closer to each other I am sure Jessica and Oz would love to play with him. Are you going to the GAP Christmas party on the 20th of Nov.? If so we will be there so we can meet in person. You already know Hannah and Artemas, but wait until you meet Angie, Maddison, Nero, Piper, Honey and the rest that I have had the pleasure to meet. They are so fun to see them greet each other. It is like they have known each other all of there lives not the first time they have layed eyes on each other.

Toni
Toni

Greyhounds are great