Author Topic: Had to get ugly at the dog park...  (Read 6929 times)

doggylover

Re: Had to get ugly at the dog park...
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2006, 11:07:09 am »
I don't think the solution to the problem is for the 'good' people to abandon the parks (although that is what we have chosen to do, for our dog's safety).  The solution is for us to stand up, together, and publicly shame the people whose dogs are aggressive into leaving. 
The last time I went to the park this large scared GSD went after three or small dogs in the park and the small dog owners did nothing.  He could have killed someone's dog, so even though it didn't attack my dog, I approached him and told him that his dog was not appropriate for the park.  He was nasty and condescending, saying things like, 'lady, you just don't understand dogs, he is just very confident and alpha'.  I explained to him that I did in fact understand dogs, and that a confident dog didn't attack other dogs.  He turned away and ignored me.  There were probably 50 men and women there in addition to me, all of whom were obviously scared for their dogs, but none of them would stand up, or back me.  So I said to him (major bluff here), "fine, if your dog attacks my dog, I will give him the command to kill your dog, while you are carrying it's body out of here, don't cry to the other people here, they don't want you here either, and you have been warned."  I also told him that since he knew so much about dogs, he surely knew what schutzund training was, and that my dog was trained extensively in this kind of attack. 
I was PRAYING while I was saying all this that my dog would stay in the 'down stay' position I had put him in before approaching the guy.  HE DID!!!!  Puppy kindygarten paid off big time!
We won't be going back to the park, it's just too stressfull for mama. 
 ;D

doggylover

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2006, 11:09:39 am »
I have the flu, so I totally forgot to tell the end of the story!  I'm such a dork.  The guy left, scared for his dog.  I then had to go reassure everyone that my dog wasn't really a hit-dog. 
 ;D

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2006, 10:15:53 pm »
I have the flu, so I totally forgot to tell the end of the story!  I'm such a dork.  The guy left, scared for his dog.  I then had to go reassure everyone that my dog wasn't really a hit-dog. 
 ;D

I love this!!!! Mr. "ALPHA-I-know-all-about-Dogs"!  Sounds like the pack leader that day was a female.  (Except dogs in a pack wouldn't be embarassed to be corrected by the pack leader.) 

I'm so proud of your puppy for behaving soooooo well while you told him what's what.  If we had a few people like you in our dog park, I'd be much more comfortable there.  I wouldn't mind ANYbody instructing me about my dog as long as I could see that THEIR dog was well-trained.  The people in our park seem more obsessed about pointing out the poopers than pointing out scary behavior.

I might take Einstein back every now and then, but like you, a few stressful incidents and I'm cured.
Sarah