Author Topic: Loki & my 6 year old grandson  (Read 9159 times)

Offline charlotte5050

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Loki & my 6 year old grandson
« on: May 31, 2005, 12:00:39 pm »
I am at a loss how to handle the situatioin with my 10 month old Loki and my 6 year old grandson. My daughter and her children had to temporarily move in with us last week.

I am a tax professional, so needless to say, when I really needed to be working with Loki on training, behavior, etc., I was not home only long enough to feed, get in a few quick pettings and gone again.  Since I have had more time the last month, Loki and I have made a lot of progress.  We have worked hard on the sit-stay, not jumping up on people, laying quietly when in the house, not using the Pomeranian as a chew toy, etc.

My grandson is ill-behaved, on the wild side, and does exactly the opposite of what he is told or asked to do. Loki at her worst is better than he is at his best!  I have tried to work with both of them, getting my grandson to play with rather than run from Loki.  Being a puppy, she thinks it is great fun to run and chase and ultimately "catch" her prey!.  To make a long story short, my grandson winds up with bites and scratches from Loki's rough playing.  

I have had to resort to keeping Loki on her chain.  She doesn't understand why she can't run and play when my grandson is outside.  I have tried to compensate by taking Loki and the border collie on long walks out in the pasture.  I don't want this behavior to get out of hand, but don't know any way around Loki feeling like she is being punished by getting chained up.  She sets outside my window and cries.  It just breaks my heart.

How about letting Loki run loose and putting the grandson on the chain?!?!?!

Suggestions, please?

Thanks, Charlotte
Charlotte

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
Re: Loki & my 6 year old grandson
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 12:12:20 pm »
My dogs chase and tackle kids too.  I have been working with them to break the habit but it hards for them not to chase something that is running from them.  Whenever the neighbors come over to play I put the dogs away.  But also don't let the neighbors come everyday.  Somedays it is dog days and the dogs get the yard.  Is there anyway to have days where only Loki can be outside, like it is her turn.  Or you can get a run and put your grandson in that to play. 8)
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 12:12:52 pm »
Curious creatures indeed.  The Rotts I mean.
Have you tried obedience classes? Seems to be one of the best ways to handle this...but it would require a lot of time a few times a week.  I really need to get my 2 in for class soon too.

nickerbokker

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 12:16:34 pm »
i also think you should build a kid run.  just stick the little buggar out in the pen and let him go crazy with himself.  its lokis yard, and that is where loki should get to be, and free at that. 

thats a crappy situation.  good luck with what you choose! 

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 12:22:40 pm »
Probably why I have no children.  I really don't have the patience.   :-X

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 12:23:50 pm »
The sad part is my guys both have their basic obediance and respond to command when they know I can catch them and enforce it.  Not so good at them when they know they can run from me.  Rocco being a Newf/Rott is the worst but also the sweetest when I do catch him.  I just run like mad and yell 'Look what Mommy has' and he chases me then I nab him.
Thanks,

Offline charlotte5050

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 01:09:38 pm »
We are in a rural area and the only obedience classes we have, just handle the basics which we are already covering.  A big plus for Loki - she is a natural at walking at a heel.  It's just like she is glued to my left knee!  She is good at recall.  When we go on our walks I let her get out about 50 yards then call her back.  She is back in an instant.  She runs up to me and immediately sits.  She knows that even with the little time that we have worked on it that sitting gets her praise and pets.  She eats it up.  I love her so much.  She is easy to work with and learns so fast.  I am just so concerned that she will turn to the "bad" side if she continues with the chase and catch.  I also am concerned about breaking her spirit by keeping her chained up just to protect her from the 6 year old MONSTER!  I know he is my grandchild and I should be more concerned about her hurting him, but my gran-maternal instincts are pretty suppressed when it comes to ruining my Rott!  Another plus for Loki - my daughter also has a 2 week old baby girl.  I let Loki in the house and she will go over and just sit by the baby and watch her.  She has never offered to do any more than just smell her.  Of course, we don't leave her unsupervised around the baby.  She may try to protect her like she does the pomeranian! LOL!!
Charlotte

nickerbokker

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 01:34:11 pm »
excellent idea tina....

keep a waterbottle on hand, and when the kid starts running, chase after him yelling "no running kid, NO RUNNING!"  make sure to get him in the face though because otherwise, he might like it!

i hope you know i am jokin...kinda

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 01:37:31 pm »
Nickerbokker, I am going to have to stop reading these at work before my co workers think I am insane.  Everytime i read something from you, I crack up.  I am trying to play on the internet on the sly but if I laugh at loud it is obvious I am not working.  My work is not funny in the least.   ;D
Thanks,

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 01:39:45 pm »
Ditto on what the others said. The child needs to learn to follow directions in Loki's yard. We always advise kids of what is ok to do around Bear and what is not. If they want to get pounced on then they can run around and enjoy the fall!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

nickerbokker

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 01:41:09 pm »
emily is it?

glad to make you laugh.   ;D

we always need a good laugh while at work, *cough, h*ll.

Offline mitchie

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Daisy n' Phoebe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005, 12:48:59 pm »
hello!  I read your post about your grandson and your rottie early
in the morning and I have been thinking about you all day.
My husband told his sister & mother (both of which he is very close to)
that our dogs live here -they don't.  I had a situation arise when I
was pregnant by my in-laws about what was going to happen to our
rottie. They actually thought we would find a new home for her-ha!
Anyway, our son is almost 3 and is still learning about how to treat the dogs.  He is making me very proud!  Talk to your daughter and set
some rules for your grandson.  Check out the "Supernanny" book and
lay down some house rules.  I am concerned because whenever a dog
is chained up (and rotties are so darned intelligent)  they can get aggressive in defending their area.  Loki is better off having his backyard
and your grandson may surprise you when given the opportunity to help
with Loki's training.  Children and dogs love to help and have "jobs" to do.
A little praise goes a long way.  I wish you the best of luck.  oh, there is a product that you can get at health food stores called "Rescue Remedy"
that will help Loki thru this adjustment.  You can take the remedy
with him too.  It's a wonderful supplement that my rottie and I have
shared for years.  You can put it on his food or in his water.  Great stuff.
Oh, life would be so boring without our dogs and families!!! :)
mitchie

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2005, 04:31:07 pm »
My children are almsot 8 & 6 & 1/2 & they are very active in Samson's training...We got Samson when he was 3 & 1/2 months old & he is a little over 10 months old now...When they would let Samson play too rough with them & wrestle back they were simply sent to a time out as was Samson...None of them liked it...I also explained to them that if they did not listen to what I told them to do or not to do with Samson they may come a time when we could not handle him & could no longer keep him...Well, they really love Samson so they try very hard to do what needs to be done so he can be a good companion to us...I also explained that if there came a time that Samson could no longer be here because of the things they did or did not do I was going to be one very unhappy mama & that in turn was going to make their lives a living h*ll...They are pretty sure they don't want this to happen...lol.. .I agree though that if he can't follow your directions on how to behave around Loki than he will have to have his playtine after Loki has had his...It's only fair!...Loki is still a puppy & needs to learn but the people around dogs need to act accordingly so our dogs can learn!

nickerbokker

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2005, 04:34:20 pm »
lmao....EVERYO NE GO TO YOUR CORNER!

if i had kids....they would ALWAYS be in timeout.  if they said mommy......i'de say, YOUR CORNER!  NOW!

i seriously think the best thing to do is let loki have the yard, and when he is finished....le t the kiddo play in it.  but still, i would chase him with a waterbottle for my own kicks lol.

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2005, 04:39:07 pm »
You should write a book on how to raise kids Nick!   At the end you could have a disclaimer stating that it may not work but you'll have fun doing it!  I got a book on discipline once and when it didn't work I almost spanked her with it...