Author Topic: Newfie as a 4H dog?  (Read 7084 times)

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Newfie as a 4H dog?
« on: April 19, 2006, 06:06:28 pm »
I have a 9 year old daughter who is going to start 4H with our soon to be Newfie. We are still looking into a couple of possibilities of either older puppies, or young adults. I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question, but... My question is.....Do you feel that a Newfie would be too much dog for a child to handle? She is kind of petite for a 9 year old, but is EXTREMELY patient with animals. You should see what she has taught our 9 year old Chessie mix to do. :)  She, like our entire family, is absolutely IN LOVE with Newfies. From our previous experience with the breed, they are EXTREMELY smart and catch on VERY quickly. I have seen them be so gentle with children. It is like they switch to gentle mode around them instantly. 

I would love to hear any thoughts on this. Thank you in advance for any info, or opinions. :)
Blessings! :)
Amy Lynn

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Newfie as a 4H dog?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 08:03:24 pm »
I would wait to bring the newf until you're sure she can handle it.  Have her try walking him in areas with lots of distractions and have her practice lots of obedience with him.  The first time you do go just make sure you are ready in case he gets a little out of control.  With some preparation I think she could have almost complete control over him. I'm a complete lightweight and can control Kali for the most part...I generally try to use her GL in areas with lots of distractions which may be an option to consider so your daughter can have more leverage.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 11:32:39 pm »
Amy,

I think that a Newf should be just fine for your daughter. The caveat to that would be to insure that the Newf you handle has basic obeidience training down pat. Ideally, you want the Newf to be responsive to leash training, so that there is no pulling issues.

My 9 year old walks Onyx, and we are looking into Pet Therapy to join into. Onyx is very well behaved on a leash, and we're working on using touches to either flank as commands, instead of voice. (Very similar to horses actually) This way, in case my son can't makke himself heard, Onyx will still know what he's supposed to be doing.

I guess where I'm going with all of this is, if you and your Daughter want to use a Newf for 4H, go for it.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 11:57:25 pm »
Well first I have to ask what 4H is?!!!

What I can say is it really depends on the dog. Some Newfs are extrememly laid back and well behaved, I have had 2 of those! But some are the most stubborn obnoxious creatures going... Yes I have had one of them too, and one who is half that way!

My 12 year old daughter can happily walk our approx 160lb boy without him pulling her at all, but there is no way she could walk his sister as she is a madam! It looks great with her walking down the road with the big lump and me and hubby having the girls, who of course are a lot smaller!

Our old Newf, when she was young, was an absolute nightmare to live with. She was so stubborn and refused to do anything we wanted! Yet, when a friend came round with her 18 month old daughter, Molly instinctively knew she could hurt her and was so well behaved.
Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 12:28:42 am »
I agree.  I think a Newf would be fine, with proper training for your daughter to handle.  I think many dogs are sensitive to children and will be extra gentle with them.  We had an Akita when my kids were tiny who was, by far the most frightening dog we'd ever had as he got older.  My daughter (at about 9 and a tiny little thing) took him on his final walk on our boardwalk at the beach to pass his obedience class when he was about 9 months and close to 100 pounds.   He was always wonderful with the kids, but 'katie bar the door' if it was an adult that he didn't know coming too close!!! :P

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 02:18:17 am »
4H is a youth organization for kids and teens who's main focus is to teach leadership, citizenship and life goals.  There are different clubs across the country that specialize in different fields.  There are ones that specialize in horses, pigs, cows, sewing, but mostly focuses more on animals I believe. I was in a horse club when I was a kid. You can probably find a website somewhere too.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 02:20:48 am »
Oh that is interesting, thanks for filling me in! ;)
Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 04:36:49 am »
Thank you all so much for your advice! :) I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. She will be so excited!

newflvr,I was happy to hear that your 9 month old puppy did well with your 9 year old son! :) The Newfie that we have completely fell in love with will be 10 months old by the time we bring him home! :) (We have to wait until June).

My daughter will be SO excited. I think we will try to surprise her. She thinks we are still talking it over and haven't made up our minds for sure yet. :) I don't know who will be more excited....her, or I. LOL!

Thank you all again.
Have a great day!
Amy Lynn

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 05:23:46 pm »

My 9 year old walks Onyx, and we are looking into Pet Therapy to join into. Onyx is very well behaved on a leash, and we're working on using touches to either flank as commands, instead of voice. (Very similar to horses actually) This way, in case my son can't makke himself heard, Onyx will still know what he's supposed to be doing.

I guess where I'm going with all of this is, if you and your Daughter want to use a Newf for 4H, go for it.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Leah. I appreciate it. That is interesting how you are using touches as commands. I would love to hear more about that. Are you working through a trainer, or on your own? Is there a book on that?
I wish you the best with Pet Therapy. That is my dream. You'll have to keep us posted. :)
Amy Lynn

Offline Sami142

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 12:58:58 am »
My 9 year old daughter Hannah trains Jinx in obedience and doesn't have any problem. Jinx is 11 months old and weighs about 120lbs.  I can't think of anything sweeter than watching a Newf connect with a child, I love watching them together.  The adults in her obedience class get a real kick out of watching this tiny little girl maneuver this huge black mass.  I think your daughter will do great w/your Newf  :)
Sami, Jinx, and Rookie

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006, 05:20:03 am »
Thank you, Sami! :) I can't tell you how glad I am to hear from you and other Newfie owners that it is possible to have a child train a Newfie. It will be fun to see them work together. :) I will keep you posted on how it works out.

Thanks again!
Amy Lynn

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 08:05:53 am »
Actually, my husband started it. He was raised on a horse farm and learned it there. So no professional trainer, although it's really no different than teaching tricks I've found. Repetition, rewards...and lots of patience. *lol*

Oh yes, once we finally find a training class and get started on the Pet Therapy...I'll be taking lots of pics!!!!

Good luck!
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 01:36:40 pm »
Thanks, Leah! :) That is interesting.

Yes...we would love to see the pet therapy pictures! :) Do you know where to find classes?
Amy Lynn

Offline jaspers mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 09:05:44 pm »
No newf experience here, but plenty of dog/9-yr old experience.  My daughters have been walking our dog by themselves forever, but he is old and meek. 

As someone posted above, experiment first.  Have your daughter be in control with you observing from a distance.  What happens when a squirrel crosses in front of their path?  How about another dog?  Refrain from influencing your dog in any way when something like this happens and see if your daughter keeps control of the situation.  It's better to tempt the dog into trouble when you are there, rather than finding out when your daughter is by herself.

As we live in town, our biggest concern was having our kids dragged in front of a car from our dog chasing a squirrel or being caught in the middle of a dog fight.  Thankfully, after setting up a few situations, our fears proved unfounded. 

I wish we had a program like 4H nearby to join.  I bet they will have a great time!  Good luck!

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2006, 01:27:33 pm »
I think this is an awesome idea & something I am in the process of deciding on with my 7 & almost 9 yr. old & our Pyrs...Both of my children handle the dogs well & can walk them with supervision... I must say though my itty bitty 52 lb. 7 yr. old daughter runs those doggers better than I do...It's not the size of the dog & child but rather the size of the attitudes!!! :D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 01:29:55 pm by Gypsy Jazmine »