Author Topic: Newfie as a 4H dog?  (Read 7093 times)

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Newfie as a 4H dog?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2006, 05:15:19 pm »
No newf experience here, but plenty of dog/9-yr old experience.  My daughters have been walking our dog by themselves forever, but he is old and meek. 

As someone posted above, experiment first.  Have your daughter be in control with you observing from a distance.  What happens when a squirrel crosses in front of their path?  How about another dog?  Refrain from influencing your dog in any way when something like this happens and see if your daughter keeps control of the situation.  It's better to tempt the dog into trouble when you are there, rather than finding out when your daughter is by herself.

As we live in town, our biggest concern was having our kids dragged in front of a car from our dog chasing a squirrel or being caught in the middle of a dog fight.  Thankfully, after setting up a few situations, our fears proved unfounded. 

I wish we had a program like 4H nearby to join.  I bet they will have a great time!  Good luck!

Thank you! :) I was also concerned about her getting dragged around. Thanks for the advice. I will try that with her, once we get our Newfie. :)

Thank you for the Good luck wishes. :)
Blessings! :)
Amy Lynn

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2006, 05:17:15 pm »
I think this is an awesome idea & something I am in the process of deciding on with my 7 & almost 9 yr. old & our Pyrs...Both of my children handle the dogs well & can walk them with supervision... I must say though my itty bitty 52 lb. 7 yr. old daughter runs those doggers better than I do...It's not the size of the dog & child but rather the size of the attitudes!!! :D

LOL! :) That is the truth! :)
Amy Lynn

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2006, 10:57:50 am »
I think this is an awesome idea & something I am in the process of deciding on with my 7 & almost 9 yr. old & our Pyrs...Both of my children handle the dogs well & can walk them with supervision... I must say though my itty bitty 52 lb. 7 yr. old daughter runs those doggers better than I do...It's not the size of the dog & child but rather the size of the attitudes!!! :D

LOL! :) That is the truth! :)
Dern tootin'! ;D You should see her put them through their paces...It is amazing to watch!...When I can't get them in out of the yard I send out the big guns...That's my itty bitty Missy Lou Pooh. :) She is relentless & the dogs know they're coming in :D...lol!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 11:02:00 am by Gypsy Jazmine »

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2006, 01:26:06 pm »
When I can't get them in out of the yard I send out the big guns...That's my itty bitty Missy Lou Pooh. :) She is relentless & the dogs know they're coming in :D...lol!

ROTFLOL!!!!! :) That is too cute!  :D
Amy Lynn

Offline brett_and_krystal

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2006, 06:18:34 pm »
I think that is a great idea.

I grew up actively involved in 4H.  LOVED IT! 
I wouldn't think it would be an issue for her to show your newf.  As long as they are both trained.  When I say both trained I mean, in our obediences classes I've learned more then the Mister that's for sure.

Our training classes teach us hand/leg signals to ensure we are always heard.  And as dogs get older some tend to lose their hearing. 

As far as companion dogs go,google it for your state.  I think every state has different requirements. 

Hope that Helps
Krystal

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2006, 04:56:46 am »
Thank you, Krystal! :)
Amy Lynn