Author Topic: Oh my...whats wrong with my girl??? Help!  (Read 7983 times)

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
Oh my...whats wrong with my girl??? Help!
« on: April 19, 2006, 08:43:58 pm »
Help!!

The slippery elm seemed to have helped...she started having regular stools.  but then yesterday I noticed they were getting runny again.

During the night last night she had diarrhea again and also what looked to me like she had thrown up her food therefore I am assuming she was sick also.

She just had her 17 week shots last Friday so everything was good to go there…could this possibly be her food upsetting her tummy?? I would have thought if it was going to bother he it would have been in the first week or so of changing?  COuld this still be from her getting to hot the other day?? (Although she acts fine....)

If you feel her food is the problem I was going to go at lunch and pick up Candiea…I know you normally slowly change….but am wondering if I should give her the Iams at all now?? (SOmeone suggested not feeding her for 24 hours, then slowly something like boiled chicken and rice...and then slowly introduce her new food?)

I would greatly appreciate ANY advice. I feel so bad for Kuma and feel like we have back-tracked in regard to housebreaking.
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Oh my...whats wrong with my girl??? Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 08:50:05 pm »
First stop everything that you are using... You need to know what is bothering her and if you have too many potentials things upsetting her body you wont know how to eliminate the problem...

I would fast her for about 12 hours because she is young and then give her some boiled hamburg and rice... I used to use 1 lb hamburg and one bag of rice (boil in bag kind)

Give portions the mixture over the course of the rest of the day and she how she does from there...

If she returns to normal, intoduce gradually new food...If not, continue on hambuger and rice for another day. If pup still doesnt recover bring a stool sample to the vet to make sure your pup didnt pick something up.

If she becomes lathergic, uninterested, not drinking etc... call the vet and tell them that she is just losing interest in everything

What shots did she have... sometimes shots can send their system into a panic... I know worming and rabies can cause loose stool etc...

just dont do too much too soon  :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 08:57:28 pm by BabsT »
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 09:02:49 pm »
Thanks for the help! She hasn't had any food since last night so I will keep that up through the day and this evening try the rice. 

She did just have her 16 weeks on Friday and rabies were one of those shots...so perhaps that could also be contributing. 

Again, thanks for the help!
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

-Ann landers

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 09:09:58 pm »
Kali's had an upset tummy lately so we had all sorts of tests done and kept her on chicken and rice for a week until her stool firmed.  You may also want to try non fat plain yogurt after the first day of the rice mix.  It helped Kali because whatever was causing the problems had upset the stomach  enzymes. She's now back to regular food and we're switching her to Canidae too.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 09:13:36 pm »
Hi,

Newfies have sensitive tummies. If you check the newfie sub group you'll find tons of loose stool threads (not that is a image huh) I only say this becuase Kuma's is showing her Newfieness!! If she is behaving normally it will just be a hunt and peck until you find what firms her up!!

Adding canned pumpkin (not the pie version, that usually has other seasonings in it) Just straight pumpkin or some sweet potatoe adds fiber and Kuma will love the stuff!! Also oatmeal helps too. Most of the better grade Kibbles are just too rich for a newfie Tummy.

I guess best to relax, Kuma is putting you through what I think every other newf puppy parent has gone through. There are tons of threads here so just look through and see what others have tried it may save you a step ot 2.

Winslow, my 10 month baby, was great on Science diet large Puppy. We switched to Wellnes about 2 months ago and he is cow Pie city!! the pumpkin and oatmeal has helped but not cured so we'll be making a Kibble switch again probably trying Canidea as most on here seem very satisfied with it.

Rich

edit for Spelling fix
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 09:15:45 pm by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 09:25:04 pm »
Sadie went through a similar thing when she was about Kuma's age. 16/17 weeks. Following her 16 week shots she starting going in the house a lot more. It was a bit runny somtimes, sometimes not. I was ready to kill her. One day it was really really runny and she had to go constantly. I took her to the vet. Turned out she was running a fever and just had some sort of bug. The vet prescribed a medication that helped settle her tummy and put her on prescription food for a week. Cleared right up and she went back to her normal self. I'd run her to the vet just to be safe. It could be a lot of different things so it's better to have a vet check it out. A little trick I learned around here for when Sadie's tummy gets upset is to give her canned pumpkin. Just plain pumpkin, not the kind that's sweetened. Don't know why it works, but it's handy to have around the house for things like this.

Good luck! :)
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 09:27:40 pm »
Thanks for the therapy! I swear…misery does love company (  ;D )  but it does help to know you are not alone or have not done anything wrong. 

I battled with what to feed hree weeks and almost went with the Canidea... and talked myself out of it because of money issues.  :(
I WILL be going at lunch and start her on it as soon as I get her tummy right!  ;)
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

-Ann landers

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 09:40:25 pm »
It's crazy how everybody seems to have a different remedy for this Newf issue.  I would agree with most who say simplify her diet to chicken and rice.  Just don't use WHITE rice, use BROWN rice.  White rice can make the problem worse sometimes.  Good luck Beth!  We still grapple with this issue from time to time with Drake, Newfs just seem to get the runs a lot.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 09:42:31 pm »
Newfs just seem to get the runs a lot.

Amen to that!!!  :D
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 09:43:21 pm »
Now can I ask a question and I do not mean it in anywhich way shape or form as insulting... If Newfies as well as many other breeds are 'prone' to stomach/digestive issues are breeders using those dogs in a breeding program?

I can also see using the brown rice instead of white... I feed raw meat and only used kibble for such a short period of time... I should have known better LOL
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 09:58:30 pm »
Hi,

Babs, no insult taken and interesting thought!! I would say the fault is not with the breeds but with the Food makers. We are taking an animal and changing it to a diet we find more convenient for us, not the dogs. Last time I watched animal planet  ;) (my favorite channel) and the wild animal shows they seem to keep leaving out the chapter on the animals hunting down the rare and elusive KIBBLE on the african plains  :D

Seriously if breeders tried to breed around the food manufacturers who knows what we'd get!! They change formulas so much we would never know what happened.

Rich
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 12:11:15 am »
When ours get an upset tum we don't feed them for 24 hours. The we give them boiled rice and cooked chicken for a day or two. After that we start to mix their normal food in with the rice and chicken, upping the normal food over a few days. Then hopefully they will be ok to eat just their normal food.

We did notice that Kitten always had soft poo's, so we were told to give him extra fibre as there obviously wasn't enough in his food. So he now has a handful or two of high fibre bran in with his food..... It works, he has been so much firmer ever since we started doing it ;)
Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 12:13:46 am »
Good question Babs.  I wonder if it's possible to genetically weed out stomach issues, I guess it's possible. Our breeder tries to breed lower volume drooling in her dogs, which means shorter lips, but they still drool - just not a badly as some Newfs.  It could just be a healthy diet, but growing up, we fed our dogs Gravy Train and other commercial brands and that food was probably total garbage, but they lived long lives and had normal bowel movements for the most part.  I think there may never be a definitive answer to this issue with Newfs, especially because I see so many people doing so many different things to combat it.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 12:21:24 am »
sometimes shots can send their system into a panic..

That is so true!!  After you finish the puppy shots, don't allow any more  "all in one vaccinations".  It overwhelms their immune systems.  I lost my female Newf to reactions from immunizations.  Now, because of Cowboy's issues, he gets titred (his blood checked to see the degree of immunity to various diseases) and Chester will just get one shot every few months from now on.

RE: the foods.  I agree with everybody else:  keep pumpkin on hand for the mild cases and boiled chicken and rice and fasting for the more severe cases.  Since Cowboy has been on a meat & veg. only diet, he has very small poohs (can you believe how much we talk about this??) and they are very firm.  Chester is still getting kibble (Natural Balance Duck & Potato allergy formula) and he is far runnier.  Got to agree that it may be coming from the food!

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 12:53:40 am »
I would not doubt that this has something to do with the vaccinations.  I agree with the suggestion to fast her then feed rice and boiled beef.

Good luck!
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein