Author Topic: Memorial Day Weekend with Ranger  (Read 19534 times)

dohertyswissy

Memorial Day Weekend with Ranger
« on: May 31, 2005, 03:33:28 pm »
Hey BPO!!  As some of y'all know, me and the hubby took Ranger down to the beach for the weekend and I took lots of pictures to share with you guys!!!  I just L-O-V-E this dog!!!  He has gotten SOOOO big!!  Sometimes I forget he is only 6 months old!! 

Here's the first one....

dohertyswissy

Re: Memorial Day Weekend with Ranger
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 03:34:40 pm »
And again on the beach.....

dohertyswissy

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 03:38:58 pm »
Hangin' Out with Mom.....

dohertyswissy

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 03:39:57 pm »
Snugglin' Up with Dad

dohertyswissy

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 03:40:52 pm »
Time for a nap.....whew!  I am WORN out!!!

dohertyswissy

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 03:51:27 pm »
Just one more.....back to guarding the door the next morning!!!  A Swissy's work is never done!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 04:16:20 pm »
Those are great pics. It looks as if you all had a blast at the beach. Did Ranger get to go swimming? Were there other dogs there to play with?
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

nickerbokker

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 04:46:01 pm »
oh hes such a big boy!  LMAO, it always cracks me up how big these "puppies" are.

looks like he is one happy boy! 

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 08:58:31 pm »
How pretty he is.  Hubby looks pretty good too.  hee hee. I love the looks of this dog.  Where do you find a Swiss Mountain Dog ??? Do they drool a lot ??? I just lost our Queensland mix and am researching.  We had CoCo for 18 years, so it is hard to believe she is no longer around.  She just got too old to walk. She had a good life.  Anyway Mountain Dogs seem terrific. tell me more. 
Peggy

dohertyswissy

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 10:22:53 am »
Ranger says thanks for all the complements and smooches!   :-*

Jamie - Unfortunately, there were no other dogs on the beach this time around.  However, he did make lots of friends, including a precious 2 year old boy who came right up and kissed all over his face!  I was a little shocked, but then his father explained that had a Newfie at home!  Then, it all made sense!  LOL!  As far as the water...he looked at us like we lost our mind!  I know he was thinking... "HELLO Mom and Dad!! I'm a Mountain Dog!"  He liked to stand at the edge, but the waves freaked him out!  LOL!!   :D

Peggy - I'd love to tell you more about my boy!  There are four different types of Swiss Mountain Dogs.  Ranger is the Greater Swiss Mountain Dog and the other one that most are familiar with is the Bernese Mountain Dog.  The Swissy, which we call them for short, is the larger, short-haired brother of the Bernese.  Swissys were originally bred as draft dogs (cart pulling) and general purpose farm dogs in Switzerland.  They did some herding and protected the family.  They are a dry-mouthed breed, so no drooling!  They do have an undercoat which they "blow" twice a year in the summer and in the fall.  I'm sweeping up at least a poodle's worth of hair everyday right now!  LOL!  Shedding the rest of the year is minimal, from my experience.  They are GREAT family dogs and get very attached to their people.  It would break their heart to be exiled outside.  Ranger is great with kids as well.   Ranger doesn't bark a lot, but when he does something is definitely up.  Some Swissys can be protective, so it is very important to socialize them.  Ranger is a little shy of people he doesn't know, but once he realizes that we are okay with the person, he warms right up to them.  Also, our breeder is careful to breed for temperament, as well as all the normal health and conformation standards.  So, if you decide to talk to breeders, make sure that they are breeding for temperament as well.  All of our breeders dogs were very, very friendly ... but did announce our arrival the minute we got there!!!  As far as exercise requirements.. ..they are working dogs, so they do need some exercise, but the requirements aren't as high as some other breeds.  Ranger requires one good walk and tossing the ball around in the yard daily and he is fine.  He gets bursts of energy and then lazes around. 

Couple of things to note....Swissy s are VERY slow to get potty trained.  It can be frustrating.  Just when you think you are over the hump...ANOTHER accident.  Like a lot of working breeds, they do have a tendency to be stubborn, so training is crucial.

I'd suggest visiting the Greater Swiss Mountain Dog Club of America website: www.gsmdca.org.  The articles I would suggest reading are:  "Intro to the Swissy," "Breed History," "FAQ," and "Twenty-one Ways to Love your Swissy."  Some of the other articles in my opinion tend to be a little alarmist and kind of intimidated me at first.  However, once I met with our breeder and hung out with Swissys of all ages, I was hooked!  Also, some information I disagree with, as they have been opposite of my experience with Ranger.

Whew...that was a little long winded.  I just love talking about Ranger!! 

Ultimately, though, Swissys are faithful, loving companions and I consider myself VERY lucky to have Ranger as my companion. If you have any questions or want more information, just let me know!!  Swissys are GREAT dogs and I highly recommend them!

Oh - and if you want to find a breeder in your area, there is a breeder list on the GSMDCA website by state.

Heather :)

Offline AlisaOz

• Gnawer
  • Baloo the sleeping Swissy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 10:43:11 am »

Heather, your Ranger is so handsome!  This is my first post to this forum since I got my Swissy, Baloo, the first of July!!  It's so funny that they like to lay on their backs when they sleep! :D   Aren't they the coolest!?!

He's very unusual with one blue eye.  But I thought it looked really cool, and we're not going to show him in conformation anyway.  His eye gets LOTS of comments.  He's also got a lot of white on him, but we think he's gorgeous!  I can't wait until he's 6 months old.  Although I don't want to rush this wonderful puppy stage.  I AM tired of cleaning up after him, though.  He does not poop in the house, and he pees on command when we're outside.  But if the phone rings and he wakes up from a nap...I better get off the phone FAST because he's going to GO!

Where are you located?  We're in Texas.  I figured you aren't in Texas because the beach was white!  ::)

I would love to hear any tips you've got to help me through these first months.  I also read the Swissy Forum, which is a great source, too.  What are you feeding Ranger?

Take care~
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 10:46:36 am by AlisaOz »
A'Lisa in Texas
with
Baloo the Swissy and
Belle the Pyrenees

Offline AlisaOz

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2005, 10:48:34 am »
 ;) Another picture...with Belle the Pyr
A'Lisa in Texas
with
Baloo the Swissy and
Belle the Pyrenees

Offline AlisaOz

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2005, 10:51:17 am »
 ;D Another face pic...
A'Lisa in Texas
with
Baloo the Swissy and
Belle the Pyrenees

Offline AlisaOz

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2005, 10:56:09 am »
 ;)  Last one, I promise!...  Here he is at our Fourth of July Children's Parade in our Historic District.  It was a GREAT opportunity for socialization with people and other dogs, and even horses!  It's funny that this Bulldog's head coloring is so similar to Baloo's.  Notice that Baloo is ready to PLAY! ;D
Take care~
A'Lisa in Texas
with
Baloo the Swissy and
Belle the Pyrenees

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2005, 12:16:30 pm »
aww what cute pictures!!